Battery light

Jeep Bro 08

Anybody have this issue comes on every once in awhile then i tighten down all nuts on battery goes away for 2 days then back on again. And haven't been offroad since tighten down. I got new battery & 1yr old mean green alternator

Sent from my SM-G900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
Anybody have this issue comes on every once in awhile then i tighten down all nuts on battery goes away for 2 days then back on again. And haven't been offroad since tighten down. I got new battery & 1yr old mean green alternator

how often are you having to tighten the nuts on the battery?

sounds like you may have too many accessories on the main negative post that's affecting the clamping.

Post a pic.

Growlz

One thing that happened during a road trip, I was getting some odd things happening with the dash lights. My wife looked up on the forum what could cause that and it looked like a loose battery cable. When we stopped I found the negative clamp was loose and I couldn't tighten the neg clamp down on the post tight enough. I was able to still move it around by hand even though the clamp was fully tightened. Stopped at a dealer near by and when they looked at it they found the clamp wasn't pushed fully down on the neg post which was the reason why I couldn't fully tighten the clamp because of the taper in the clamp (or post, or both).
Might be something to check.

Jeep Bro 08

how often are you having to tighten the nuts on the battery?

sounds like you may have too many accessories on the main negative post that's affecting the clamping.

Post a pic.
the lower terminal keeps coming loose i think thats the culprit i tighten down today & few days ago .light went off

20170805_162603.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
the lower terminal keeps coming loose i think thats the culprit i tighten down today & few days ago .light went off

View attachment 271396

yep.. those side posts have no clamping power and if you're wheeling they loosen fast. It's been a while since I've owned an optima but in my experience you can't tighten them too much or they'll pull out of the case.

you want something like this:

Odyssey Battery PC1500STM

View attachment 271404

also check out http://skyhighcaraudio.com/machine-battery-terminals/

looks like you have one already, i'd look at the flat style

WJCO

Meme King
One of my sky high terminals failed on me and the company didn't give a shit about it. I wouldn't recommend them at all myself.

GS-RON

Everyone of those clamps where you've stripped the cables back and slid them under the tin piece is a potential problem.

You should use crimp on cable ends and then solder them.

The electronics on today's cars are very sensitive and with computer controlled charging systems (not sure if Jeep uses this) any extra resistance will throw a curve ball at the ECU whether or not it's controlling the Alternator.

The side posts (with the correct cable ends) can be used for running the Jeep and the starter (GM did it for years with no problems) but the top posts should be used for the winch since it draws a lot more amps, for longer, than the starter ever will.

YMMV RON

Jeep Bro 08

Everyone of those clamps where you've stripped the cables back and slid them under the tin piece is a potential problem.

You should use crimp on cable ends and then solder them.

The electronics on today's cars are very sensitive and with computer controlled charging systems (not sure if Jeep uses this) any extra resistance will throw a curve ball at the ECU whether or not it's controlling the Alternator.

The side posts (with the correct cable ends) can be used for running the Jeep and the starter (GM did it for years with no problems) but the top posts should be used for the winch since it draws a lot more amps, for longer, than the starter ever will.

YMMV RON
So i should put both winch pos&neg on top posts ,after i had been wheeling i use my winch a lot then couple days later my light came on

GS-RON

So i should put both winch pos&neg on top posts ,after i had been wheeling i use my winch a lot then couple days later my light came on

It would be better.

Best would be new or redone cables w/o the tin clamps holding the end of the cables. Those are "get you home clamps" if you damage something on the trail.

Cables that look something like this pic would probably solve all your problems and make your alternator and winch much happier...

Gen1_Dodge_Diesel_Truck_Battery_Cable_Kit.jpg

Top Bottom