Bolt on portals

Great Pumkin

Hey guys I need some input here. I'm looking at doing bolt on portals on my jk. But here is the question. I have a Sahara with the 44 year and 35 front. I am thinking I should upgrade the front to a 44 but the rear should be strong enough? One other thought. Since the portals gear down at the hub is there as much stress on the axle shafts as a standard axle? Or would it be less? Thanks

2012 Sahara

J

JKDream

Hey guys I need some input here. I'm looking at doing bolt on portals on my jk. But here is the question. I have a Sahara with the 44 year and 35 front. I am thinking I should upgrade the front to a 44 but the rear should be strong enough? One other thought. Since the portals gear down at the hub is there as much stress on the axle shafts as a standard axle? Or would it be less? Thanks

2012 Sahara

FYI - you don't have a 35 front axle.
That alone makes me think you shouldn't be looking at this mod.

Why?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

x2

Zstairlessone

This is like catching a train wreck and being able to watch it from when the passengers were loading, gotta stick around...

Last edited:

Warebear

Doesn't Dynatrac make some portals? Also, I believe Mopar brought a JK to SEMA one year with portals. I'd start with those and seeing how they did it.

Diesel_Ranger

The Axletech "bolt on" 3 gear portals are awesome pieces of engineering. That said, They are way more than a simple install. On the dynatrac website you can order the whole axle set with the portals for $$$. They are 8 lug only, but the axles will drop in to your JK with minimal modifications. With the reduction of ratio at the hub, you will need to run at least 37" of tire to have road speed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

longarmwj

Why do you need portal axles though is the question? Sure they reduce the gearing and provide some added ground clearance, but you'd come off cheaper re-gearing your current axles and installing a good quality suspension lift. If you're going for the "wow" factor only, then sure portal axles would turn some heads and raise some eyebrows, but what's truly the point of them?

ChiliDawg

Why do you need portal axles though is the question? Sure they reduce the gearing and provide some added ground clearance, but you'd come off cheaper re-gearing your current axles and installing a good quality suspension lift. If you're going for the "wow" factor only, then sure portal axles would turn some heads and raise some eyebrows, but what's truly the point of them?

Knew several guys back East that did it with old UNIMOG axles. Increased clearance and lower gearing. Also, the "why" sometimes need not be more than "because you can."

Ddays

Hooked
OP, have you done the research first to see how much ground clearance you'd be gaining over an aftermarket axle like say a Dynatrac Pro Rock 44 or 60 front end? Would it really be worth it?
These things have to be bloody expensive! Can't see how these would be remotely practical on a street driven Jeep

TheGrendel

OP, have you done the research first to see how much ground clearance you'd be gaining over an aftermarket axle like say a Dynatrac Pro Rock 44 or 60 front end? Would it really be worth it?
These things have to be bloody expensive! Can't see how these would be remotely practical on a street driven Jeep

but portals. :celebrate:

portal-def.jpg

madstiles

I just read the Dynatrac info and it states 4.9 inches ! I never new these existed but the cool factor is off the charts [emoji1] Practical not a chance but if I had money to burn then why not lmao

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom