What winch is everyone running?

zzekeman

Ive been looking to add a winch to the JK and was wondering the pros and cons. Id like to buy american, and from what Ive read Ramsey and Warn seem like good choices. Also what is everyones opinion on synthetic line. I work for a major utility company and have been using synthetic line in heavy, high voltage tower construction and maintenance for the past 24 years and am pleased with its performance, with the exception of keeping it covered from the elements. Any info to guide me in the right direction, being a newbie to the hobby, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Zeke

zzekeman

Thanks for the link, dont know how I missed that one. I guess Im just gettin old and am having a tough time keeping up with technology....lol

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Ive had my Warn power plant for over 4 years, its been in the snow, salt, extreme heat, below zero temps. Its been great. Never let me down!

What little issues I've had Warn has stepped up and replaced the parts way after the warranty period was over.

zzekeman

It seems as though what Ive heard so far Warn is the way to go. Does anyone have any experience, or know anyone who has experience with the Ramsey winches? thanks for all the replies so far...

JK Swoop

I have the Smittybuilt XRC-8, it's dragged JaKe through bumper deep mud without a problem. I'm satisfied.

Jim

Indefatigable

Does anyone have any experience, or know anyone who has experience with the Ramsey winches? thanks for all the replies so far...

One of my club members has a 8k. Its an old one. Broke it twice in two years when he started wheeling in the PNW. 1st time it broke was when it was used to power out and let a Jeep roll down a hill (roll over recovery) some 60'. Planetary issue.
Second breakage was a friend backed into him, hitch below bumper hit gearbox and broke it off.

Winch repaired now sits on trailer. Jeep now has an 8274.

snopro

Banned
I did a lot of research on winches and also on board air systems. If you look at the stats the power plant is as fast and faster than the large expensive on board air setups. Plus later on you can add a small tank allow use of air tools.
My wife loves running the stopwatch while I air up at the same time as my friends with all these expensive on board air setups
I usually am done and start helping the guy beside me air his up !!
I found mine on Amazon shipped for under $1250

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I did a lot of research on winches and also on board air systems. If you look at the stats the power plant is as fast and faster than the large expensive on board air setups. Plus later on you can add a small tank allow use of air tools.
My wife loves running the stopwatch while I air up at the same time as my friends with all these expensive on board air setups
I usually am done and start helping the guy beside me air his up !!
I found mine on Amazon shipped for under $1250

I love my powerplant, I would buy it again, however it does not work very good with power tools. I have the tank. It works for the initial hit, which may work to loosen a really tight bolt. But its not something you can run powertools from.

Indefatigable

Can you use the Powerplant to run ARB air lockers?

No.

Simple reason, the motor spins the compressor when operating the winch. It needs to be unrestricted discharge during winching operation.

Its an either-or situation.

This is what the WARN rep told me years ago when the winch first came out. They were dealing with failures as the compressor chuck was left hooked up during winch operation (the air chuck was plugged in to keep junk out of the receiver).

Maybe something has been changed since?

the Yes answer would be if you used the powerplant to charge a tank and then disconnect the powerplant from the tank.

nacho

smittybuilt x20 10. I have used it several times, price/performance is a good mix for me. Time will tell on how it holds up.

Top Bottom