Lightweight spare tire

bloodmice

I'm running a 2.5 AEV lift kit and I put a rear bumper on it (which your not supposed to do apparently)

Anyways my weight distribution is 45% front 55% rear when Im fully loaded for camping, hoping to help that with a lighter spare tire....

Currently running a 295/70r17 (33") google lists it at 72 pounds

Hoping to get 35s soon if my tire place ever calls me back

20535874_10155371635980056_1515670721_o.jpg

I don't think the OP is thinking of running a smaller spare than he has mounted. At least I hope not. I think he's asking about a lightweight spare tire that matches his current 33's, which still isn't smart.

OP, I'd just try to pack lighter if you're concerned about being to heavy in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

bloodmice

trying to find out about a lighter weight spare but still the same diameter...

My dad was telling about how people would run a 9" wide spare when he wheeled back in the 90s

jagrubb99

You won't save enough weight to make a noticeable difference. In my experience I've always found that Jeeps, esp. 2 doors ride exceptionally better with more weight in the rear end. I can't imagine a smaller spare will benefit in any way

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Robertcrav

As an example...the Cooper ST Maxx 295/70r17 is 56.8lbs, the 255/80r17 is 58lbs ... similar to what your Dad ran way back in the 90s, man does that make me feel old at just 40... your Dad probably ran 33x12.50r15s on the ground and a 33x9.50 spare.... a 33x12.50 KM2 is 57lbs, a 33x9.50 is 49lbs...still not a significant difference

Way back then when dinosaurs roamed the earth the CJ and YJ tire carriers were even weaker and there were less bumper mounted tire carriers than the bagillion options there are today.

If you are worried about weight distribution that much, Id re-evaluate other things you are packing with you, or put a bag of sand up front :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

zimm

Caught the Bug
Who cares about weight distribution in a jeep? If the rear is sagging, figure out how much and get some teraflex rear coil spacers. They have them in multiple thicknesses. You might even find out you're not even left to right. It's okay to run different spacers on each side to level the jeep. I'm running 1/2" on the passenger sides to help level the "jk lean".

10abadilla/jk

You won't save enough weight to make a noticeable difference. In my experience I've always found that Jeeps, esp. 2 doors ride exceptionally better with more weight in the rear end. I can't imagine a smaller spare will benefit in any way

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using WAYALIFE mobile app
Agreed ^^^^ my 2 door drives way better when we are loaded. Seems like I'm actually on the road instead of floating. As to your running a "lighter" spare or a 9 rim. Its not worth it. Your not going to save enough weight to make a difference that you'll even notice while driving/wheeling. Id say stick with what you have. That's just my 2 cents.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

aTX427

While this example of weight savings would not be the first place I would skimp, weight savings and management make a massive difference in ever aspect of driving from highway to off road. If weight is a concern, I would look into lighter weight tires and wheels when you go to 35's. Level 8 Bully Pro's are 24lbs and last I checked, which was about a year ago, Duratrac's where the lightest offroad 35's. I run aluminum everywhere possible instead of steel, rear bumper delete with a tire carrier and do what I can to not have weight up high or past the axles.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I'm running a 2.5 AEV lift kit and I put a rear bumper on it (which your not supposed to do apparently)

Why in the world aren't you supposed to run a bumper with this kit? :thinking: Are you meaning a heavier aftermarket bumper? Still, if it sags THAT much with just a bumper it sounds like a crappy kit to begin with.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
How about one of these. Get a narrower tire with same height,. Stiffer springs,. Or add a rear spacer.....hmmm I got some TF 1" ones I just took off and can make you a smoking deal!

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Top Bottom