PDA

View Full Version : LONG ROAD TO THE HAMMERS : A Behind the Scene Look of the 2013 King at the Hammers

wayoflife
02-15-2013, 10:00 PM
There really is no tougher race on the face of the planet than the King of the Hammers. At about 180 miles in length and traversing 20 of the hardest trails in Johnson Valley, the 2013 race was by far the most brutal one to date. In the Every Man Challenge Stock Class, only 1 of 26 rig crossed the finish line and only 5 or 33 made it across in the Modified Class. In the main event which required a run up Backdoor, Sunbonnet Pass, Spooners and Outer Limits, only 27 out of the 127 rigs managed to complete the race. The long road of hope, determination, suffering, disappointment and defeat is something that most everyone in this race endures. In this short film presented by Discount Tire, you'll get to follow Mel Wade of Off Road Evolution and Jim McGean of Dynatrac as they travel this road on their quest to build up two separate race rigs and use them to compete in both the 2013 Smittybilt Every Man Challenge Stock Class and the Ultra 4 King of the Hammers main event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8vTtlBhlDA

If you're one of our Vimeo fans, you can watch this video here:

https://vimeo.com/60695007

The Nitto Tire, Discount Tire, Off Road Evolution and Dynatrac Race Team consisted of Mel Wade as the main driver, Jim McGean as co-driver and Greg Melancon as alternate co-driver. This team was made possible by the additional support of ATX Wheels, Impact, Mastercraft Safety, King, WARN, Torchmate, EVO MFG, Royal Purple, J.E. Reel, Truck-Lite, Long Beach Taco Cart, PSC, Anzo USA, Advance Adapters, Brown Dog, Summit Racing, Atlas Transfer, 505 and WAYALIFE Productions.

MTG
02-15-2013, 10:03 PM
22 minutes?! :rock: See you then.

OverlanderJK
02-15-2013, 10:04 PM
22 minutes? Damn ill have to watch it when I get home.

LoPo
02-15-2013, 10:25 PM
Pretty sweet! :thumb:

Glad to see Greg and Mel relied on the Overlanding Journal for strategy.

BrandonDetrick
02-15-2013, 10:30 PM
Awesome video!!

MTG
02-15-2013, 10:32 PM
Hands down one of the most enjoyable videos I've watched. :thumb: You guys amaze me with your production...it really feels like you are right there in the shop, the pits and on the course. I don't know how you do it. :bowdown:

I cannot wait to see what happens next year and the remaining races scheduled for this year. EVO 1 is simply badass! :rock:

MTG
02-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Pretty sweet! :thumb:

Glad to see Greg and Mel relied on the Overlanding Journal for strategy.

That was a great part! I LOL'd! :D

Skid_Kid
02-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Yet another awesome video! That stinks that both rigs went down. But at least Jim still has a hand and EVO1 did not catch fire.

OverlanderJK
02-15-2013, 10:37 PM
Boo!

JKU-Tom
02-15-2013, 10:39 PM
That was an awesome video. It tied all the bits of info I got here and on Facebook together. Really awesome.

LoPo
02-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Boo!

I think there is a pill for that. :cheesy:

TLAW719
02-15-2013, 11:02 PM
That was a great video!! Probably the best 22 minutes and 33 seconds of my day thus far! I've had a passion for off road since i was a little kid and always dreamed of driving an off road race truck, This video makes me want to do it even more.:thumb::clap2:

StrizzyChris
02-15-2013, 11:07 PM
I must say that for a 22+ min video, that had a lot of story in it, you really got my attention! Very well done video! It's great to see the behind the scenes action in a race like this. :thumb:

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

Tackerdown
02-15-2013, 11:18 PM
Sweet vidio , don't the O L manuals say anything about putting the winch cable away or did it say to hold it in your lap.

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

dnymud
02-15-2013, 11:39 PM
That is an awesome video. Great job.

ProtocolJK
02-15-2013, 11:40 PM
Another really awesome video! My brother and I drive sprint cars so i know how tough racing can be. Really sucks to see what happened to Evo 1

HoosierWolf
02-15-2013, 11:49 PM
Thanks again for the work you guys do making these videos!

I stayed late at work just to watch.

Hatewagon
02-16-2013, 12:06 AM
My wife and I both really enjoyed that one. Great job!

Overland1406
02-16-2013, 01:03 AM
Wonderful Video, well done!!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

jeeeep
02-16-2013, 01:04 AM
that was awesome! I want a Hemi!!!

RamP
02-16-2013, 01:06 AM
Nice job. Great video. I love the trucks just driving off the flat beds. That's effin awesome.

Oscar the Grouch
02-16-2013, 01:11 AM
Kickass as always

GCM 2
02-16-2013, 01:40 AM
Cindy/Eddie,
You guys never cease to amaze me with the quality of the video and editing. Thanks for putting this together and sharing the back story of what we were all going through before, during and after the race! Looking forward to next years race ;)

Trail Bud
02-16-2013, 01:47 AM
in a few words:

Cindy EPIC!!
Favorite line:
Mel:" I always wanted to bring the car into the pits smokin. I'm livin the dream!"
Great music, footage and editing. :thumb:

ProfessionalDriver
02-16-2013, 02:08 AM
Awesome work Eddie and Cindy!!! Another great video! :thumb:

Linebacker
02-16-2013, 02:22 AM
Awesome video and sound. It really captured the drama of the race. Both Jeeps were relatively untested before this year's race and poo-poo happened. Next year.......:thumb:

my_jk
02-16-2013, 02:26 AM
Another great video :thumb:

Serg5000
02-16-2013, 02:27 AM
Another great video.

On another note. Sucks they were taken out by a winch line. Sounds like they are on the right track to a podium finish though. I think next year we will come out and see them stand on that podium.

OverlanderJK
02-16-2013, 02:44 AM
That may be my favorite video yet! Can't wait for next year!

rtguy1
02-16-2013, 02:58 AM
another great video. i'm glad the team made it out with no injuries. unfortunate setbacks, but no injuries is a good thing. they will be back next year. thanks wol and cindy

1BAMFR
02-16-2013, 03:01 AM
Great video!

Thanks for sharing.

Chiromancer
02-16-2013, 06:15 AM
Super awesome! Just curious... Other than a rig, what does it take to actually race in events like this? I mean, say you drop 50-100k into a rig (or whatever it is) can you just get some buddies to be "pit crew" and enter the race?
(Please note I've over simplified the process, but you get the idea, I hope) not saying that someone would win like that, but realistically, what would it take?

TheDuff
02-16-2013, 06:22 AM
Great movie and I'm amazed at how quickly this was edited with such great quality :thumb:

OverlanderJK
02-16-2013, 06:23 AM
Entry fee and you have to qualify.

Chiromancer
02-16-2013, 06:38 AM
Entry fee and you have to qualify.

Hmm... Now to think on what it would take to qualify... I feel a 5 year plan in the works!

Chiromancer
02-16-2013, 06:40 AM
http://ultra4racing.com/the-inside-line/qualifying-for-2013-king-of-the-hammers/

Well, there we have it!

JAGS
02-16-2013, 07:09 AM
Awesome vid. Watched it a couple times. I think you could hear me cheering EVO1 up sand hill. Lol.

Next year could very well be the year and look forward to coming out again.

piginajeep
02-16-2013, 07:10 AM
Awesome vid. Watched it a couple times. I think you could hear me cheering EVO1 up sand hill. Lol.

Next year could very well be the year and look forward to coming out again.

I thought that was a girl screaming.

Side note, the next race is in may at Glen Helen

bdmckenna
02-16-2013, 07:26 AM
A great video guys and insight to what it takes to get to the KOH. It's a shame that a winch rope brought Evo1 down.

Tripod
02-16-2013, 07:44 AM
Very cool video. I wish they would have made it... :thumb:

seanb123
02-16-2013, 08:58 AM
i saw on another thread that the tj wasnt running coilovers. But when i look at the tj its coil over shocks, isnt that a coilover? I'm not trying to be an ass, i'm just wonder why they arn't considered coilovers.

cj2jk
02-16-2013, 12:16 PM
Next Year will be Mels Year, Great job filming can't wait for the next release.

i saw on another thread that the tj wasnt running coilovers. But when i look at the tj its coil over shocks, isnt that a coilover? I'm not trying to be an ass, i'm just wonder why they arn't considered coilovers.

wayoflife
02-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Thanks guys. Normally, a video this long would take us several weeks to complete and we did it in about 5 days. We were running ragged by the time we released it and weren't sure if or how you all would receive it. We're so happy that you like it. :)

wayoflife
02-16-2013, 01:48 PM

A coil over specifically is a single unit with a shock with coil or coils attached to it. What you see on the EVO TJ are a pair of coils attached to the frame with a separate shock attached to the frame as well that just happens to pass through the center of the coils. There is a difference and the prior has its advantages.

MikeD
02-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Hard to believe how far this race has come in just a few years! Awesome vid, funny how it feels like you know some of the people after watching the vids for years now and forget you've never met!

seanb123
02-16-2013, 06:06 PM
A coil over specifically is a single unit with a shock with coil or coils attached to it. What you see on the EVO TJ are a pair of coils attached to the frame with a separate shock attached to the frame as well that just happens to pass through the center of the coils. There is a difference and the prior has its advantages.

ahha thanks eddy makes things clearer. What types of advantages would there be from a separate coil and shock?

FallonJeeper
02-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Hmm... Now to think on what it would take to qualify... I feel a 5 year plan in the works!

The qualifying races start right after KOH. Starting with:
April 5th-7th
MetalCloak Nor Cal Stampede
Prairie City SVRA, Rancho Cordova, CA

Each race has a set number of qualifying slots. Drivers who have not yet qualified and place within the top so many non qualified positions, will be qualified for the KOH.

The last options are to participate in the last chance qualifiers. These are held a couple days before the KOH race. In the 2012 KOH all last chance qualifiers who finished, were allowed to race in the KOH. This year it was limited to the top 15 last chance qualifier finishers.

Or... if you have lots of money and fame, you can buy your way in.

Chiromancer
02-17-2013, 04:58 AM
The qualifying races start right after KOH. Starting with:
April 5th-7th
MetalCloak Nor Cal Stampede
Prairie City SVRA, Rancho Cordova, CA

Each race has a set number of qualifying slots. Drivers who have not yet qualified and place within the top so many non qualified positions, will be qualified for the KOH.

The last options are to participate in the last chance qualifiers. These are held a couple days before the KOH race. In the 2012 KOH all last chance qualifiers who finished, were allowed to race in the KOH. This year it was limited to the top 15 last chance qualifier finishers.

Or... if you have lots of money and fame, you can buy your way in.

Lacking lots of money and fame right now... But that's what 5 year plans are for... So far, I got the Jeep and a good paying job, the rest will just fall into place as the time passes:-D

Yeahright
02-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Eddie and Cindy,
Yet again you guys cease to amaze, this had me captivated from beguining to end, not only have you produced a awesome movie, you have imortalised the whole event and the people involved in it, for millions of people to enjoy.
You guys have me envious, and I cant wait to see more of your adventures. If it was easy for Aussies to come and live in the US I would be on the first plane over there. Thanks again, and keep them coming.

Luke

10frank9
02-17-2013, 07:48 AM
Another spectacular production. Thanks! I have to say every time you release a video I think, "how can they possibly top the last one?" but you do it every single time! Congrats.

DanMojo82
02-17-2013, 01:06 PM
Bummer. :grayno:
Always next year :rock:

Tackerdown
02-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Trying to get an idea on the woops. Mel drives over them and it almost looks like the jeep is just floating , just how slow would a stock jeep have to go or what would happens if it went that fast?

wayoflife
02-17-2013, 03:27 PM
ahha thanks eddy makes things clearer. What types of advantages would there be from a separate coil and shock?

A standard coil needs to have spring perches positioned in a way that that the coil is optimally seated at ride height. As your axles articulate, your coils will bow, twist, catch on things and even potentially fall out of their perches if your shocks are too long or if you're not running a limiting strap. By integrating the coils onto the shock and having the whole unit attached to the frame at one at the frame and one point at the axle and both points using a heim, the coils will always follow the shock and perform just as effectively regardless of the position they are in.

Eddie and Cindy,
Yet again you guys cease to amaze, this had me captivated from beguining to end, not only have you produced a awesome movie, you have imortalised the whole event and the people involved in it, for millions of people to enjoy.
You guys have me envious, and I cant wait to see more of your adventures. If it was easy for Aussies to come and live in the US I would be on the first plane over there. Thanks again, and keep them coming.

Luke

Another spectacular production. Thanks! I have to say every time you release a video I think, "how can they possibly top the last one?" but you do it every single time! Congrats.

Thanks guys, we really appreciate it and are so glad you enjoy our films :)

Trying to get an idea on the woops. Mel drives over them and it almost looks like the jeep is just floating , just how slow would a stock jeep have to go or what would happens if it went that fast?

On the big whoops, maybe 5-10 MPH. By the way, EVO 1 is just running an off the shelf Double Throw Down system. :yup:

GCM 2
02-17-2013, 03:32 PM

This is where long suspension travel comes in, the more travel you have, the faster you can go in deep stuff. A stock jeep only has a couple of inches of travel so it is forced to go slow, if you try to run fast the stock suspension bottoms out and tops out quickly creating a very harsh ride. You actually can run just as fast across deep whoops in a stock jeep, but it will tear the rig apart quickly and injure the passengers probably faster. However, going slow through deep whoops and ruts in any rig, stock or race, is like being on a little roller coaster for the passengers that is absolutely no fun, it's slow and painful:icon_crazy: With a long travel race car, the faster you go the more the suspension is allowed to work at is job of falling into the deep holes and then compressing up, which makes the body of the vehicle remain a level/stable platform. So if you have around 14-16" of usable travel like EVO1, and 12-14" of usable travel on EVO TJ, you can attack whoops at speeds that would destroy a stock rig. Another example is a Baja 1000 Trophy Truck, these have around 28-30" of travel up front and about 32-36" in rear. This is why Trophy Trucks can hit the same stuff at 120mph, that we were hitting in the KOH at 60+mph (EVO TJ) and 75-90+mph (EVO1). Also you will notice the Independent Front Suspension race cars handle the open desert much faster than a Solid Front Axle car. Two more things that many people don't know that makes this kind of high speeds safe and possible are the 5 point race harnesses we wear, and the suspension race seats. The seats in EVO TJ are the same Mastercraft Baja RS seats my EVOJEEP, Moby, and a ton of other rigs are running in our daily drivers, they're good but not nearly as good as the full blown Mastercraft 3G's that most of the Unlimited class cars like EVO1 were running. The 3G is insanely comfortable!

Hope this was somewhat understandable :doh:

G

Tackerdown
02-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Understood, explained very well thank you both. This is my race car although it hasn't been out in a while. I should probably sell it and get a skid plate.

GCM 2
02-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Understood, explained very well thank you both. This is my race car although it hasn't been out in a while. I should probably sell it and get a skid plate.

Nice race car! I was checking out the Axial booth at King of the Hammers and I was sooooo close to dropping some cash on an RC. Need to limit my side hobbies :icon_crazy:

Tackerdown
02-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Nice race car! I was checking out the Axial booth at King of the Hammers and I was sooooo close to dropping some cash on an RC. Need to limit my side hobbies :icon_crazy:

Thanks, It's a blast, it was my midlife crisis that never took off. I just couldn't get the time with several tracks near by. We even put a track out back. It is amazing at how you can set these things up to shave a little time off though.

MTG
02-17-2013, 04:50 PM

I was eyeing those too! Was hoping to have time to drive one at that little track, but never made it back there.

Tackerdown
02-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Hmm maybe I should put it up for sale here. :D

FallonJeeper
02-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Lacking lots of money and fame right now... But that's what 5 year plans are for... So far, I got the Jeep and a good paying job, the rest will just fall into place as the time passes:-D

Every Man Challenge is another option. That only takes a vehicle that falls into one of their classes and an entry fee.

GCM 2
02-17-2013, 11:12 PM
Every Man Challenge is another option. That only takes a vehicle that falls into one of their classes and an entry fee.

I gotta say, I like your enthusiasm :rock:......however, even in the "stock class"/EMC, there was not one vehicle that even resembled stock. Even the cheapest builds add up $$$$ very quickly. The race takes more than just just a vehicle that meets the minimum class rules; it takes really strong parts, a rig that has been built with zero weak spots, skilled pilot/co-pilot, a good bit of pre-running to learn the potential course and shake out the vehicles gremlins, and lastly, but perhaps most importantly- a very lucky day. :thumb: Remember, out of 26 race cars that started on Thursday's stock class race, only 1 finished. Everyone else broke!

1BAMFR
02-18-2013, 01:23 AM
I have questions about the HEMI in a JK....

Can you keep a 6spd. Tranny with the Hemi?

Can we run a standard Rubi 4:1 transfer case with a Hemi?

I know they offer a 5.7, 6.1, 6.4, and strokers, does the tranny options change w/ each motor?

GCM 2
02-18-2013, 01:29 AM

I know they offer a 5.7, 6.1, 6.4, and strokers, does the tranny options change w/ each motor?

It can all be done, its just more fab work that gets pricey

wayoflife
02-18-2013, 01:31 AM

Yes, you can run a manual with a HEMI but, aside from AEV, I only know of one other person to who have done it. As far as performance goes, it's badass - way nicer than an auto as there is no programming to get in the way. I'm not 100% sure but, I'm pretty sure the manual is off a Dakota.

1BAMFR
02-18-2013, 01:36 AM
Yes, you can run a manual with a HEMI but, aside from AEV, I only know of one other person to who have done it. As far as performance goes, it's badass - way nicer than an auto as there is no programming to get in the way. I'm not 100% sure but, I'm pretty sure the manual is off a Dakota.

Thanks for the info.!

How would our transfer cases bolt up to a Dakota tranny?

wayoflife
02-18-2013, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the info.!

How would our transfer cases bolt up to a Dakota tranny?

You can adapt just about anything but the real question you should be asking yourself is "should you do it"? I would argue, no. With that much power, I would recommend that you install an Atlas.

1BAMFR
02-18-2013, 01:51 AM
You can adapt just about anything but the real question you should be asking yourself is "should you do it"? I would argue, no. With that much power, I would recommend that you install an Atlas.

OR.....I could slap a turbo on the stock motor for alot less money then a Hemi swap which is $25k+++++

OverlanderJK
02-18-2013, 02:27 AM
skilled co-pilot

That's why EVO TJ didn't finish?

:cheesy: Just kidding!

GCM 2
02-18-2013, 03:09 AM
That's why EVO TJ didn't finish?

:cheesy: Just kidding!

Like I said, Jim didn't fit the race car and I fit both the race car and Jim's race suit.....so the choice was only obvious!

FallonJeeper
02-18-2013, 04:10 AM
I gotta say, I like your enthusiasm :rock:......however, even in the "stock class"/EMC, there was not one vehicle that even resembled stock. Even the cheapest builds add up $$$$ very quickly. The race takes more than just just a vehicle that meets the minimum class rules; it takes really strong parts, a rig that has been built with zero weak spots, skilled pilot/co-pilot, a good bit of pre-running to learn the potential course and shake out the vehicles gremlins, and lastly, but perhaps most importantly- a very lucky day. :thumb: Remember, out of 26 race cars that started on Thursday's stock class race, only 1 finished. Everyone else broke!

Nobody said anything about finishing/winning. I was just pointing out that you could race the EMC without having to qualify throughout the year or at LCQ.

You're correct, finishing the EMC takes a tough vehicle. If you can finish the EMC you could probably do well in the KOH.

Chiromancer
02-18-2013, 05:40 AM
Like I said, Jim didn't fit the race car and I fit both the race car and Jim's race suit.....so the choice was only obvious!

Hah! What a lucky day for you! Sometimes you just have to man up and go racing!

Hopefully, I'll be more worried about a copilot in a couple years than what still needs done to my rig!

Beyrgut
02-19-2013, 04:18 AM
I think my favorite part was "where's the snorkel" in the background. Another great video from the WOL crew.

JKAnimal
02-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Great video! I finally had a chance to watch it and wow very nice! :clap2:

wayoflife
02-28-2013, 02:10 AM
For those of you who are Vimeo fans, I'm happy to say that you can now watch it there as well:

https://vimeo.com/60695007

Notajerryskid
02-28-2013, 03:43 AM
First time I have ever seen Mell out of Camo shorts. :)

Insanerubicon
03-26-2013, 05:10 PM
How do I go about being a racer in next years KING OF THE HAMMERS?????????????

Insanerubicon
03-26-2013, 05:23 PM

I feel the same as you as far as wanting to be a part of this race. I myself has been an aggressive offroader for years now but because of work and lack of options in my area it's hard to pull something like this off or be apart of as far as being in an event like this.

RockIt Man
03-23-2014, 02:15 AM
Any chance would could be seeing as equal for 2014??

GCM 2
03-23-2014, 01:03 PM
Any chance would could be seeing as equal for 2014??

Nope, not a chance :sigh: The Wayalife Film crew was unable to attend this year's race. It was a noticeable absence too, and not just because there is always a camera filming around the pits or on the course, but Wayoflife and CarsonCindy are considered active and valuable members of the Race Team that do so much more than just capture awesome footage. :rock: There are more races this year, let's hope the Wayalife Crew can attend some of those!

Sudz
03-23-2014, 01:27 PM
The Wayalife Film crew was unable to attend this year's race.but they got plenty of lovin' in the online chat room that was broadcasting side by side the race footage :crazyeyes: