Radiator fan question...

Jones_4981

I've searched the forum, and haven't really found an answer...

2014 Sport, 30k miles (and of course out of warranty): runs a little warm (right between C and H), but at idle once at full temp (drive through, stoplight) darts up to just under the 3/4 hash. Then it appears the high speed fan turns on.

As I understand, there are 2 speeds/controls on the fan - low and high. Cranked it up, popped the hood. The fan blades try to turn, but nothing. I would describe it as a "jiggle". Turned the A/C on, still nothing (so now I'm wondering if my motor completely crapped out)

Fuses good, swapped a relay, still nothing (so unless multiple relays are bad, I would assume the relay is good).

At this point, I am thinking it is the motor - but it has never got mud/water in the engine bay (not much of that in Phoenix).

Should I just replace the fan motor at this point?

Thanks in advance - cheers

J^2

Last edited:

Jones_4981

Sorry - didn't intend to piss anyone off....used to be on here often, but had to create a new account for some reason....hence signed with old screen name

WJCO

Meme King
If you're able, determine the power wire on the fan for each speed near the motor. Run power and ground directly to the motor from the battery. See how it works then. If it's still acting up, it's a bad motor.

With that being said, motors can intermittently act up. I went through this just this month. Did the direct power test and it worked fine. I figured motor was good. A week later fan wasn't coming on, I checked and had good power and ground though. Tapped on the motor with a wrench and it started spinning faster. It did need a motor.

Top Bottom