Wheel size 15's vs 17's?

Ctowns

Can someone help me understand the pro's or con's when considering wheel size?

I'm currently running 285x70x17 Duratracs on the stock JK wheels with no lift. I've been running them this way for about 2 years, but they do rub at full lock and are also very tight on the stock tire carrier & teraflex CB antenna mount. I was thinking about putting on a set of spacers but Discount tire where I purchased the Duratracs said if I put spacers on they will refuse to do the rotations going forward due to company policy and that I would need new wheels to address the rubbing.

I've left them as is for now and just try to avoid very tight turns but I'm starting into my build and seeing that some of the lifts require proper back spacing or spacers so it has me looking into which direction I should go.

If I stay with the 17's it seems that the tires will generally be more expensive (my 17" Duratracs were ~$1500 for a set of 5 tires installed). Just doing a little poking around I have found some deals where I can get into 15" MB 72s and tires mounted for about that same price which means less $$ on tires in the future. Cost is a driving factor for me so the 15's are looking appealing.

From the reading I've done here's what I've found (please confirm/deny if I'm off track).

15" Pro's
lower Cost
More sidewall for grip
weight (supposedly my 17" 33's weight more than a 15" 35 on MB72's?)

15" Con's
more on-road wander due to sidewall size
caliper clearance
heat issues? (ive read that the 15's don't allow enough space for the caliper and rotor to adequately cool?)
limited larger tire sizes? (well maybe not all larger sizes but 35's seem limited)

Thanks

Lpaine2005

I have had many many jeeps cj through jk. I have had 15's on ever one other than my jk. I have ran 35's to 44's on 15's. I personally have not had any trouble finding tires or found a lack of selection. I have found it easier and cheaper to buy 15's. I hate the 18's I have now. I kick my self very frequently for getting them. I am on the hunt to find

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lpaine2005

A set of 15's for it now! The ride is a lot smoother with 15's and I have not noticed handling problems either! And I do a lot if hwy driving. Probably 500+ miles on hwy a week on 35's. my vote is 15's. good luck!

Ctowns

Good to hear. Thanks.

Where are you finding your tires? Maybe its just that discount doesn't carry the duratrac in 35's? Or perhaps I'm searching for the wrong size. I'm thrilled with the duratracs for offroad and onroad wet/snow handling. I will stick with them if i can. And even though discount gave me a bit of the run around on spacers they have been good to deal with on everything else. Plus they're about 8 blocks from me.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Go 17's. 15's are for the rice burners.

All kidding aside I had the same discussion with myself. Go 17's you will thank yourself later.

cmlrc

My 2 cents, stay with 17's. heat with 15's could be and issue.

SoCalDozer

I have 15" mb72's with 33 duras and love them but wish I had 17s for further upgrades. 35s have plenty of options for 15s but past that and the choices are limited. I have never had any heat issues or brake fade that is related to heat issues.
I also got my combo for 1250 for all 5 with wheels and tires with rebates. If you don't mind spending the extra or you plan on going bigger than a 35 go 17 otherwise go 15

RockyJk

I got 15s with 35s it does wander a lil but i like the old school small rim big tire look lol

jkjeepit

I'm debating on the same thing.. 15's would save me about $600 on a set of five...

Discount tire direct also has 15" rims they guarantee the fit.. no rubbing etc....

still thinking ...
the tire I want comes in a 285-75-17 but the rim I like doesn't come in a 17" not that the rim matters as much as a tire.... but $600
:thinking:

Last edited:
Top Bottom