Metalcloak"db3" rear control arm correction bracket

jonathanbottoms

Anyone have any experience with these rear control arm brackets? They seem to be a relatively new product, so I'm just looking for any input. I'm considering lifting my '14 JKU a little bit more, and I don't necessarily want to upgrade to a full-on long arm kit. I was debating on using these as well as a pair of front control arm brackets with my Rancho adjustable short arms to correct my suspension geometry when I increase my spring height. Suggestions/comments/anything would be greatly appreciated! ✊
7197-Rear-Control-Arm-Drop-Bracket-On-Jeep.jpg 7197-SmugMug-2-L.jpg 7197-2T.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
How much lift are you at now and what is the total amount of lift that you're planning on going to?

jonathanbottoms

How much lift are you at now and what is the total amount of lift that you're planning on going to?
I'm currently at 4" with the Rancho "Crawler Short Arm" kit. I am wanting to go to 5.5" to give myself a little more clearance in the rear. I have not trimmed the rear body pinch seam, and I still have a factory rear bumper, so things are a little tight back there for my 37's

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If you want to lose the ground clearance you gained with the lift then by all means install these. Otherwise just get some adjustable control arms. (Not sure if the rancho ones are adjustable or not.)

Also why do you want a sky high lift of 5.5"?

jonathanbottoms

If you want to lose the ground clearance you gained with the lift then by all means install these. Otherwise just get some adjustable control arms. (Not sure if the rancho ones are adjustable or not.)

I've definitely read about the ground clearance loss 😩 honestly, I was just trying to avoid using spacers on top of my current springs. I see a lot of 5.5" springs on the market & can't recall seeing any 5" (could have overlooked them, I'm sure". My control arms are adjustable, but they're only rated for Jeeps with 4" of lift

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I've definitely read about the ground clearance loss [emoji30] honestly, I was just trying to avoid using spacers on top of my current springs. I see a lot of 5.5" springs on the market & can't recall seeing any 5" (could have overlooked them, I'm sure". My control arms are adjustable, but they're only rated for Jeeps with 4" of lift

Why do you need 5"+ of lift tho? 4" is plenty for 37's

jonathanbottoms

Do you think I'd be better off replacing my rear bumper & trimming the pinch seam? I'm definitely open to suggestions

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Do you think I'd be better off replacing my rear bumper & trimming the pinch seam? I'm definitely open to suggestions

Here is my buddy sheaffadelics Jeep(middle green one) with 4" lift and 37's. He slightly trimmed his fenders, trimmed pinch seams, and is still running the factory rear bumper.
IMG_8043.jpg
On either side of him is Hinrich (white) and myself with 37's and flat factory fenders but no rear bumper.
IMG_7669.jpg
IMG_8048.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
5.5 inches on a short arm lift would be a pretty painful ride IMO. I would keep the 4 inch lift and make it work WITHOUT the brackets. As far as the rear, trimming is easy. And just remove the rear bumper completely and see how you like it. Lots of guys do that. I think it looks good and it's pretty practical for Jeeping IMO. EVO even makes D-Ring inserts that go in the end of the frame rails.

jonathanbottoms

5.5 inches on a short arm lift would be a pretty painful ride IMO. I would keep the 4 inch lift and make it work WITHOUT the brackets. As far as the rear, trimming is easy. And just remove the rear bumper completely and see how you like it. Lots of guys do that. I think it looks good and it's pretty practical for Jeeping IMO. EVO even makes D-Ring inserts that go in the end of the frame rails.
Ok right on! Thanks for the input!

jonathanbottoms

Here is my buddy sheaffadelics Jeep(middle green one) with 4" lift and 37's. He slightly trimmed his fenders, trimmed pinch seams, and is still running the factory rear bumper.
View attachment 272947
On either side of him is Hinrich (white) and myself with 37's and flat factory fenders but no rear bumper.
View attachment 272948
View attachment 272949
Looks great! I'm gonna try a couple things before I make any suspension changes. Thanks for the help!

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I had Aev 4.5" coils that gave me actual 5.25 of lift. I was a bit tall, it always felt like the jeep wanted to roll over in off camber situations. I recently dropped my jeep to actual 4" with evo plush rode coils and I like it being a little lower then before. I have 37s as well

jonathanbottoms

I had Aev 4.5" coils that gave me actual 5.25 of lift. I was a bit tall, it always felt like the jeep wanted to roll over in off camber situations. I recently dropped my jeep to actual 4" with evo plush rode coils and I like it being a little lower then before. I have 37s as well
I loved my 3.5" AEV kit I had on my '11 JKUR! Ran that with 35s & it handled like a dream. Looking back, this new kit I bought from Rancho with progressive 4" springs doesn't ride anywhere near as well as the AEV kit did. In my opinion, of course.

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm currently at 4" with the Rancho "Crawler Short Arm" kit. I am wanting to go to 5.5" to give myself a little more clearance in the rear. I have not trimmed the rear body pinch seam, and I still have a factory rear bumper, so things are a little tight back there for my 37's

I thought 2014 pinch seams were already trimmed?

I'm running 37's on Clayton 3.5" lift. stock rear bumper with AEV tire carrier. When i'm fully packed, I do get some rubbing on the trail but not so much to worry about.

i'm running rancho RS9000 and stiffen the rear shocks a bit to help control the squat.

are your rear tires centered in the wheel well?

Are the ties rubbing the pinch seams or is the rubbing mostly confined to the stock bumper ears and fenders?

jonathanbottoms

I thought 2014 pinch seams were already trimmed?

I'm running 37's on Clayton 3.5" lift. stock rear bumper with AEV tire carrier. When i'm fully packed, I do get some rubbing on the trail but not so much to worry about.

i'm running rancho RS9000 and stiffen the rear shocks a bit to help control the squat.

are your rear tires centered in the wheel well?

Are the ties rubbing the pinch seams or is the rubbing mostly confined to the stock bumper ears and fenders?
My seams stick out rather far, I'll post a picture this afternoon. As far as I know, yes, the axle is centered (Had the lift and alignment both done "professionally"). The only rubbing I've actually experienced, and know to be legitimate, has been on the rear factory bumper. I can see where the tire has made contact with the plastic. Currently running the RS9000s as well, set on 3 in the rear. Bushwacker flat flares, too.

Top Bottom