Hubcentric rings

rockwell

Wondering if hubcentric rings are recommended or not necessary? Getting ready to install 8 lug Hutchinsons on some Prorocks. I know the lug nuts will somewhat center everything up, but will it be enough alone to not exaggerate any balance issues with the heavy tire/wheel combo?

jeeeep

Hooked
Wondering if hubcentric rings are recommended or not necessary? Getting ready to install 8 lug Hutchinsons on some Prorocks. I know the lug nuts will somewhat center everything up, but will it be enough alone to not exaggerate any balance issues with the heavy tire/wheel combo?

the lugs will help keep it centered but for my own OCD I use hub rings to put some of the weight (not sure if it actually does) on the axle and if I have any lug nuts loosen, to keep the wheel centered.

JKbrick

the lugs will help keep it centered but for my own OCD I use hub rings to put some of the weight (not sure if it actually does) on the axle and if I have any lug nuts loosen, to keep the wheel centered.

Maybe not needed but I'd buy them too if I knew what or where to get them

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Definitely fit hubcentric rings. Wheel studs are only designed to tension the wheel not support the weight of the vehicle. Plenty of people get away without them but people get away with doing stupid shit all the time.

You should be able to get some plastic ones for cheap from your local tyre shop.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Maybe not needed but I'd buy them too if I knew what or where to get them

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I can get some plastic ones custom made for like $130. Metal ones will corrode to either the wheel or hub up here in New England.

These guys made my wheel spacers I used to run. Very good quality - made from aluminum. They make hub rings as well.

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/hub_rings.html

If you coat them with anti-seize or something similar they shouldn't corrode. recoat them with each tire rotation and you should be good. I never had an issue with my spacers.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Definitely fit hubcentric rings. Wheel studs are only designed to tension the wheel not support the weight of the vehicle. Plenty of people get away without them but people get away with doing stupid shit all the time.

You should be able to get some plastic ones for cheap from your local tyre shop.

99.9% of people in the US don't use them. I'm will to bet even 99% of people have no fucking clue what they even are.

Tanktitan

I had never heard of them. But that is why I like this site. As to the OP question, I have the same set up with the Hutchinson's and the pro rock 44 unlimited. I use G2 spacers and can say that I have never had any problems whatsoever with vibration or anything else that might be solved by my quick read of the purpose of hub centric rings. Just check the torque on the lugs and the bead locks every few thousand miles. After maybe 12,000 miles on my Hutchison's I have yet to find anything loose. The balance is still dead on after 4 days in Moab and weeks running Montana and other mountain back county forest service roads.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hub centric spacers are not needed. The studs paired with the lug nuts properly torqued to spec will be plenty to support the weight of the Jeep. Lots of vehicle mfg don't even make the wheels hub centric, they are lug centric so all the weight is supported by the lug and stud.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Hub centric spacers are not needed. The studs paired with the lug nuts properly torqued to spec will be plenty to support the weight of the Jeep. Lots of vehicle mfg don't even make the wheels hub centric, they are lug centric so all the weight is supported by the lug and stud.

I have never seen a vehicle where the wheels weren't hubcentric. That may be because it's illegal here. Can you name a few that aren't?

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Can't give you specific make, model, and year but a few older fords I have worked on, VW, an older Benz, and a chevy recently.

You've got me thinking about the older VW's and Merc's I've worked on now. Obviously they're slightly different using bolts rather than studs but I still thought they were hubcentric.

twoxstreem

You've got me thinking about the older VW's and Merc's I've worked on now. Obviously they're slightly different using bolts rather than studs but I still thought they were hubcentric.

I tried using hub rings for a few 1,000 miles on my Fuel Wheels. After the first tire rotation they started to make a creaking clicking noise from which was very difficult to diagnose. I assume the click/creak noise was due to the fact the aluminum rings either corroded or eventually were sandwiched against the rotor and misshapen. I removed the rings and the noise was gone.

I have a set of plastic ones but i have never gone back to them. I make sure the wheel is centered up on the hub when i snug up the the first 2 lug nuts and all has been good ever since.

Top Bottom