PSC steering box- easier to buy a new pitman arm instead of pulling old one off?

zimm

Caught the Bug
In preparation for the PSC steering system install I was researching pitman arm pullers and reading about the difficulties in removing the arm. A new crown pitman arm is $31.99. Would it be better to just buy a new arm for the box?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
In preparation for the PSC steering system install I was researching pitman arm pullers and reading about the difficulties in removing the arm. A new crown pitman arm is $31.99. Would it be better to just buy a new arm for the box?

Up to you. With the proper puller it will not be to difficult to do. You can always rent a puller for free from the closest auto parts store to swap it or buy they new one.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Yeah tough call. With washer and nut, it's $50. I just don't want to be fighting the arm all day if it decides to be a PITA and then decide to order a new arm and have the jeep down for days. Or I can hit up auto zone and try their puller.

I had a bad experience with cheap pullers getting an F250 pitman arm off. Luckily my neighbor back then had a snap on truck and let me "borrow" their bad ass puller and it worked. But I don't want to spend $150 on one.

WJCO

Meme King
It's a tough choice. They can be easy and they can be a real bitch. If you have a lot of rust or really high mileage, I would opt to buy a new arm ahead of time.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I'm going to stack the deck in my favor and get the new arm.

I watched the Havoc off-road video on the install. I added an 18mm flare wrench to my amazon cart. I think I have everything else required.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I was going to leave the old pitman arm in place. Will the box drop out with the arm still bolted on?

Jackal01

I was going to leave the old pitman arm in place. Will the box drop out with the arm still bolted on?
Yes. Or at least mine did with a little maneuvering. My pitman arm was a real twat, also when it came time to swap it over.

WJCO

Meme King
Lol. Yes I meant new arm for the new box. Both of the old ones go in the trash. I've had some that just don't come off. I even had one that had so much rust, although I got it off, it was loose on the new box, rust damaged the splines.

Top Bottom