Stolen keys

brittanymeaghan

Last night, one of our Jeeps got broken into. If that wasn't bad enough, I can't find the keys to the second Jeep. I'm worried they may have fallen out of my bag in the one that got broken into, and now someone has the keys to the other Jeep.

It's also possible that the keys fell out of my bag somewhere in my apartment parking lot, or anywhere for that matter, but the office is closed today so I can't call and ask if anyone's turned any keys in. Plus it would be quite a coincidence that I'd lose them somewhere else the same time the Jeep got broken into...

I've already pulled the fuel pump relay, the ignition switch fuse, and unhooked the negative battery cable (if someone does come back with the key, they're gonna have to work to get it to go anywhere) plus it's a manual so, more power to them, haha.

So what I'm wondering is, can my current key be un-programmed by Jeep and the new one be programmed?
It's a 2012 wrangler, the key does have the lock/unlock buttons...

I've worked for European Brands & I know that with those, the transmitter/immobilized can be unprogrammed. So, the blade key will still unlock the car, but since the vehicle doesn't see the immobilizer it'll sound the alarm and not start.

Which, I know that if you use the blade key to open the door, it sounds the alarm (I've done it) until you put the key in the ignition.

The only other option would be to re-key the whole vehicle and that's going to get real expensive real quick.

I know I could call Jeep and ask but they're closed today, too and honestly, until I know where the keys are I'm going to be in full-panic mode. Lol.

Thanks ahead of time!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure that the key FOB can be reprogrammed but the physical tumblers and key cylinder would have to be replaced if you wanted to be 100% safe. My guess is that the dirtbags didn't drive off with your Jeep because it was a manual. One of the best theft deterrent one can have these days.

brittanymeaghan

True! That's one of the biggest reasons I stick to manual!
I don't really care if they can get in. I have a soft top on anyways, so if they did want to get in, they could. I know that, so I don't keep anything worth any money in there.
They got a good amount of stuff out of the other Jeep, fire extinguisher/air compressor/cb radio/tools... broke open the glove box and center console.
Never had any of these issues before, it's ridiculous

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
True! That's one of the biggest reasons I stick to manual!
I don't really care if they can get in. I have a soft top on anyways, so if they did want to get in, they could. I know that, so I don't keep anything worth any money in there.
They got a good amount of stuff out of the other Jeep, fire extinguisher/air compressor/cb radio/tools... broke open the glove box and center console.
Never had any of these issues before, it's ridiculous

Totally sucks. I so hate to hear things like this and sorry that it happened to you.

brittanymeaghan

It's okay! It's the world we live in nowadays! The material items can be replaced, my only concern is that the apartment key was on the keyring as well so that's really the only hint we're genuinely worried about.
Thanks for the input! I'm gonna call Jeep first thing in the morning and after I call the office and confirm they weren't found in the parking lot somewhere.

brittanymeaghan

Definitely going to make the office the first place I call in the morning. We added a chain lock to the door and set some stuff in front of it for the time being. Lol. So no ones going to be sneaking in.

The millennial meme is funny because I am technically a millennial [emoji23]

jeeeep

Hooked
that sucks, see if your insurance will cover the cost of new tumblers and home locks.

I'd really like to put some high voltage to the handles while the alarm is set if I knew the law would be on my side.

like a dumbs ass I'd probably forget and grab the handle before shutting it off lol... hmm maybe trigger the high voltage once the alarm is triggered.

brittanymeaghan

So just an update today to restore everyone's faith in humanity (hahaha).
My Jeep is still there, no one came in my apartment to kill us... but whoever broke in the first time, came back again last night! Everything had been taken inside from the Jeep, but the few odd and end things that were left in the center console were thrown in the passenger seat. We think they were looking for the wheel lock key that they left behind Saturday night. [emoji849]

kttx740

So just an update today to restore everyone's faith in humanity (hahaha).
My Jeep is still there, no one came in my apartment to kill us... but whoever broke in the first time, came back again last night! Everything had been taken inside from the Jeep, but the few odd and end things that were left in the center console were thrown in the passenger seat. We think they were looking for the wheel lock key that they left behind Saturday night. [emoji849]

Might be time to go Home Alone on them and set a few traps.

texasfloodjk

Yes,you can have the second key locked out of the system. Go to your local locksmith or dealer and they will re program it. Guys at my company do it all the time for repoed cars. And as for the key still being able to open the doors,yes. But rather than re keying all of your locks,wouldn't it be better money spent on a perimeter alarm? Since you have the soft top anyways? Just my thinking!

BumblebeeZA

Sorry to hear this, if it makes you feel better, this happens to us in South Africa on a daily, hourly, minute basis. I live in a horrid country, over here, they kill you for a cellphone, R10 (+- $1), pair of shoes. Not sure if you guys have seen on the news whats happening to us in South Africa :mad:

Insurance should cover any losses if there are signs of forced entry.
As for your other Jeep, maybe see if you can find a second hand ignition and then get the dealers to program new keys for you.

Hint hint, if anyone is looking at hiring someone form another country, please put me on the list, I wish I could emigrate ;)

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
If you program new keys you’ll be fine. They could still open your door though. But the jeep won’t recognize the new key in the ignition. For example you can’t go make a new key at lowes and start your jeep because it lacks the security freq. so maybe re program and get new door locks if you want

Top Bottom