Exhaust leak

black pearl

Hooked
So was out wheeling and I smacked my exhaust. I can hear that it's leaking up by the head. Question one, is the exhaust manifold part of the head? Question two, what's the likelihood I damaged more than just the gasket?

Here is were I hit. IMG_6862.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BobNH

The manifold, drivers side in particular, is prone to cracking. I have a nice one myself, have to repatch this fall with some thermosteel. The other stuff I used worked for a bit. The other place it leaks is the attachment of the collector and manifold. Also a regular problem.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

black pearl

Hooked
The manifold, drivers side in particular, is prone to cracking. I have a nice one myself, have to repatch this fall with some thermosteel. The other stuff I used worked for a bit. The other place it leaks is the attachment of the collector and manifold. Also a regular problem.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm hoping it's the gasket, not the manifold. I can't take stuff apart till Tuesday though to really find out.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I believe there was a thread about 12 months ago where someone did the same thing and it warped the pipe flange at the head. I'd say you've probably got the same problem

black pearl

Hooked
So I've been reading( not sure if that's a good or bad thing) but from what I can tell, the exhaust manifold is the cylinder head as well, on the new motors. So I guess it would be the gasket/flange that's leaking, unless I damaged the head itself. [emoji848] this seems silly. I can't find exactly where it's leaking from, but I guess I'll order up a gasket and hope for the best.

jeffd

buddy did the same on his 14 and wraped the flange. the cat is part of it so it was an expensive fix but his warranty actually covered it even tho it had a mark from hitting. Might try that first.

black pearl

Hooked
buddy did the same on his 14 and wraped the flange. the cat is part of it so it was an expensive fix but his warranty actually covered it even tho it had a mark from hitting. Might try that first.

The gasket is only 4bucks. I might pull it apart and check it with a straight edge myself, before I head to the dealership.

black pearl

Hooked
Mother of God. That is some bullshit. I just looked it up myself, indeed it is part of the head. Fuck these engineers. Although I highly doubt that your damage will require head replacement.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks it's a silly design! [emoji23] I'm going to try to just replace the gasket, but may resurface the flange face if it had any warp to it

black pearl

Hooked
Update... no bent flange on the catalytic converter, where it bolts to the head. It just popped the gasket. Super easy job to tackle, maybe around an hour to complete.

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
Update... no bent flange on the catalytic converter, where it bolts to the head. It just popped the gasket. Super easy job to tackle, maybe around an hour to complete.

So could you explain a little more how you fixed it? Did the head need to come off or did you just install it back into place?

black pearl

Hooked
So could you explain a little more how you fixed it? Did the head need to come off or did you just install it back into place?

Installed in place. Only tools you really need is a 10mm wrench, 10mm socket and a few Extensions. This is for drivers side.
1) disconnect battery
2) pull inner wheel well IMG_0130.jpg
3) Now you can get to three of the four bolts pretty easy.
IMG_0133.jpg
4) now remove the catalytic converter heat shield. One bolt is accessed through the wheel well, the second from under the jeep.
IMG_0132.jpg
The final bolt is really fun [emoji57]this is where the box end wrench comes in. Also this last bolt has to be the last one out and first one in.

IMG_0131.jpg
What I did was hang the gasket from the upper bolts to start the tricky one by hand. Once it's started get the other three in and started. I put anti-seize on bolts.
Snug up all four bolts.
I did a X pattern to tighten I believe torque is 217 in lb (44ish ft lb)
I then started the jeep let in run for about 15 minutes, and rechecked the torque.
Then reinstalled heat shield and inner wheel well done deal
Sorry now pictures of reinstall some of this is a bit of a balancing act in tight spaces.

Top Bottom