Upgrading axle and suspension

RockingK

Howdy boys,

So here is my newest project/upgrade. I have an 09 2dr jk with a 5.7 Hemi VVT 395hp stock with a 545 RFE auto and an Atlas 2 speed 4.3:1 My buddy who did the V8 conversion 3 years and 2800 miles ago. He broke his factory Dana 30 twice, one axle, one tube. He did C gusset, truss and installed RCV axles. He also had a rear and front drive line failures and replaced them with Adam's. Note: I suspect some of the failure was self inflicted as I have wheeled with him for years and always used the skinny pedal when in doubt!

I am running RE 3.5 long arm installed in 09 with Rancho 9000's and 37x12.5x17 MTR's and have a new set of 38x14.5x17 and a new set of slabs (4) 5 on 5.

I have been a back woods trail jeeper with a little bit of moderate rock, mud and snow for 40 years and feel I have a good sense of how to properly operate my Jeep, that being said, I have also had some carnage on the trail and want avoid it if possible with proper components that match up and meet the challenge! I think I want to take the leap to Full float 8 on 6.5 and have a two sets of 5on5 and know I am looking at doing at least 5 wheels to purchase if I go that route and depending on wms width what back space would you recommend?

So here are my questions:

1) What axle upgrade would you do and why? Dynatrac PR 44/60 PR 60/60 Elite PR 60xd/80, UD60, Teleflex, Currie and of course junkyard fab builds. I can do some fab work, but am leaning toward a bolt in.

2) What suspension would you run if you have everything out to swap axles? Note: I have 37's 38's and may run 40's 42's after stretch down the road. Spring lift height, shock, coil overs?

Look forward to your feedback,

Ken:munching:

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Dynatrac, if there are 40's in your future the PR44 is probably not the best choice, even as stout as it is, you would be better off with the 60/60 or the 60/80 combo. Stay away from the UD60, their quality or lack of has been the subject of at least one thread on here lately. This opinion is based on knowledge I gained here and not on experience. Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Dynatrac. Go and watch the Wayalife Dynatrac videos showing the axles being built. There are three of them. US steel, here in the US, same techs, same shop, same press even though videos were produced years apart. A good American company. Quality parts and quality workmanship. They take pride in their work.

Andy5160

Hooked
Dynatrac. Go and watch the Wayalife Dynatrac videos showing the axles being built. There are three of them. US steel, here in the US, same techs, same shop, same press even though videos were produced years apart. A good American company. Quality parts and quality workmanship. They take pride in their work.

Second that motion and LA from EVO is the way to go.

RockingK

Thanks Gadget

Dynatrac, if there are 40's in your future the PR44 is probably not the best choice, even as stout as it is, you would be better off with the 60/60 or the 60/80 combo. Stay away from the UD60, their quality or lack of has been the subject of at least one thread on here lately. This opinion is based on knowledge I gained here and not on experience. Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

That is why I joined WAL. Honest, polite feedback with shared information with no agenda other than to assist a fellow Jeep enthusiast from making an uninformed poor choice!

Thanks Ken

RockingK

I was leaning toward UD60 for few reasons, one being the brakes and the other being Dana, a legacy with Jeep that goes back to the beginning, that being said....this is not the same world that existed back in the day quality, made in the USA etc. Cost is important but quality is my first priority and I am hearing Dynatrac has a great service reputation as well.

Thank you for your feedback

Ken

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
i would go 60/80 without a bought and especial with the possibility of 40s or larger tires in your future. axles are not something your going to want to buy twice!! additionally with you running a V8 your going to need something that will stand up to the power and that a ProRock 80 will do!

Last edited:

sc_rhino

IMG_4173.JPG

This is what can happen with a V8 and a semi float axle. Go full float. Either 60/60 or 60/80 and be done.

My friend was running a 60 semi float with 37s.

Last edited:

RockingK

i would go 60/80 without a bought and especial with the possibility of 40s or larger tires in your future. axles are not something your going to want to buy twice!! additionally with you running a V8 your going to need something that will stand up to the power and that a ProRock 80 will do!

Thanks, I agree that I would not want to do this again. Where is the best place to purchase Dynatrac and perhaps some new suspension components, and drive lines?

RockingK

View attachment 273572
This is what can happen with a V8 and a semi float axle. Go full float. Either 60/60 or 60/80 and be done.

My friend was running a 60 semi float with 37s.

That is exactly what I want to avoid!
Would you go with the XD60/80 set? Or buy a std.60? I saw somewhere that the set is around 17K wonder how much I would save on the std.

sc_rhino

That is exactly what I want to avoid!
Would you go with the XD60/80 set? Or buy a std.60? I saw somewhere that the set is around 17K wonder how much I would save on the std.

I went with the xd60/80 and my friend who broke went with currie 70/70 I think. I'm glad I spent a little more and got more than I'll ever need. Piece of mind goes a long way.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Thanks, I agree that I would not want to do this again. Where is the best place to purchase Dynatrac and perhaps some new suspension components, and drive lines?

unless you have custom brackets for suspension that need to modify standard JK brackets i would purchase directly from Dynatrac. give them a call and talk to a rep they have great customer service and can answer questions. i have JE Reel driveshafts and they work great. i would recommend 1350 unless you get an 80 rear then i believe you need to get a larger U joint which i cannot remember what that is. as far as suspension it would depend on what you need.

RockingK

Done deal

Thank you gentlemen,

I just spoke with Steve at Dynatrac (very helpful and informative) and should have a set of Hardcore PR 60/60's delivered in 8 weeks:thumb:

I really appreciate your feedback and if I don't like them I have you all to blame:bleh:

By the way, went with 60/60 over 60/80 because of price, 2dr weight, probably won't go over 38's... pretty much in that order!
If I build a 4dr after this one, and I probably will, I'll go with 60/80.

Thanks again,

Ken

WJCO

Meme King
Thank you gentlemen,

I just spoke with Steve at Dynatrac (very helpful and informative) and should have a set of Hardcore PR 60/60's delivered in 8 weeks:thumb:

I really appreciate your feedback and if I don't like them I have you all to blame:bleh:

By the way, went with 60/60 over 60/80 because of price, 2dr weight, probably won't go over 38's... pretty much in that order!
If I build a 4dr after this one, and I probably will, I'll go with 60/80.

Thanks again,

Ken

Congrats! Steve is the guy I dealt with as well. He sure does answer any questions you have and knows the product.

RockingK

They’re here

D63FC3CE-0B48-4FA6-ADF9-E59C3047BDD3.jpg The freight company just pulled in my driveway! I just fired up my old fork lift (they ship in one box) 1138lbs and my tractor with forks on the bucket may be a bit much. I’ll be right back...... oh my😳, they made me fat😜. This is going to be fun!
Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• C2FE14E0-1323-4A22-B922-7FA2589B429A.jpg
    C2FE14E0-1323-4A22-B922-7FA2589B429A.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 256
  • DE6B6170-1B49-4C4D-9F84-A0034073CF9C.jpg
    DE6B6170-1B49-4C4D-9F84-A0034073CF9C.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 270
  • 933EADCD-7F5B-489D-AF02-0444B201DC86.jpg
    933EADCD-7F5B-489D-AF02-0444B201DC86.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 265
Top Bottom