Warn powerplant winch or Arb compressors??

SilverBack775

Need some advice here on which way to go, I want to put air on board. Looking at the Warn Powerplant winch or Arb compressors with just a regular winch. What do you guys prefer? Is the Warn setup sufficient with airing up and down tires? Or Arb better and just a regular winch? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
WARN powerplant 9.5 (steel cable): $1700
WARN vr10-s (synthetic cable): $670 + ARB dual compressor $600 = $1270

IMO I would go with the WARN winch and ARB compressor. Cheaper, and it'll do the same thing.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
I've had the power plant on my last two jeeps, it's nice to just have one unit to mount and wire up. They are more than enough to air up forties in a timely manner. They are big, so it's nice to have a bumper that lets them sit down in, so it's not covering your radiator to much.

OhNoTheJiggies

I would go with the power plant just because it's less to wire and it does 5 cfm at 90 psi which is what I wish I had. Lol. But if the extra wiring doesn't bother you, then go for the $$$ savings.

Last edited:

zimm

Caught the Bug
I like to keep things separate. Remember those all-in-one stereo systems from the 80's? Dual tape deck, record player, speakers, etc? When one part went, the whole thing was junk. I like having a low profile M8000 on the bumper and ARB under the seat.

aTX427

There are people who had issues with the compressor. I can't recall the details, but a quick search will help. Personally. I would not want that huge heavy piece on my bumper.

Andy5160

Hooked
WARN powerplant 9.5 (steel cable): $1700
WARN vr10-s (synthetic cable): $670 + ARB dual compressor $600 = $1270

IMO I would go with the WARN winch and ARB compressor. Cheaper, and it'll do the same thing.

Hell of a statement right here
I vote yes!!!!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, the VR series is made in China. I personally would get an M8000 over a VR.

That being said, I've been running a PowerPlant on Moby for over 10 years and just recently had the compressor belt break on me. This is something WARN was ready to WARRANTY if I were willing to take my winch to an approved service center but I just asked for a new belt. They sent me 10! I can't count how many times I've used my PowerPlant to air up my 40's or how many times I've used the winch to do really hard pulls. Needless to say, I run a PowerPlant on Rubicat as well and haven't had any problems since 2011. Great winch, airs up fast and takes up ZERO room inside.

SilverBack775

As mentioned, the VR series is made in China. I personally would get an M8000 over a VR.

That being said, I've been running a PowerPlant on Moby for over 10 years and just recently had the compressor belt break on me. This is something WARN was ready to WARRANTY if I were willing to take my winch to an approved service center but I just asked for a new belt. They sent me 10! I can't count how many times I've used my PowerPlant to air up my 40's or how many times I've used the winch to do really hard pulls. Needless to say, I run a PowerPlant on Rubicat as well and haven't had any problems since 2011. Great winch, airs up fast and takes up ZERO room inside.

Awesome! That's what I was thinking. And it fits well on the evo 1/4? No issues with blocking the radiator? I know you have an LS, I just have the pentastar. As far as heat issues?

SilverBack775

Which one do you run on yours? The 9.5 or 12?

desertrunner

Awesome! That's what I was thinking. And it fits well on the evo 1/4? No issues with blocking the radiator? I know you have an LS, I just have the pentastar. As far as heat issues?

20170111_162228.jpg

9.5 fits great in the 1/4 Lb with very little blockage of the radiator

and for the OP i got mine used on craigs list for $1000 so they are out there cheaper.

jorgelrod

Hooked

+1 on everything Eddie just said. I've pulled my jeep over a 100 feet after sinking down to the axles in soft river sand, I've pulled through mud and aired my tires up more times than I can count and my powerplant hasn't failed me yet...

Nick Zambo

I kept everything separate, when my warn winch died I still had the arb compressor while the warn approved service shop did the repairs. I should add that even though my winch was out of warranty warn still covered the cost of all the repairs. So a hats off to them for stepping up!

Top Bottom