Dual battery questionn

Rebel JK

When running dual batteries, do most people wire them in parallel full time, or is there an isolation relay available that will allow charging both while engine is running but only use one when starting. I'm thinking that isolating one would be a benefit in case something is left on by accident long enough to kill both batteries.

Indefatigable

I am running a large solenoid. Think I got it from Wrangler NW. Was 4 years ago now....

I have it set when the Jeep is off, just the primary battery is connected. With ignition on, both are connected. I also have a 3 position switch. Neutral is the default postion. One way connects both batteries when the ignition is off and the other way drops out the second battery when the ignition is on.

Please don't ask me about the wiring to make all that work. Please.

Holeshot

Banned
I did installed an isolation solenoid on my friends jk last summer, along with two optima yellow top. don't remember what brand it is though. If my memory is good, when the switch is off, batterys are isolated. if the second (used for all accessories) drops below a certain voltage, the solenoid will engage and link both batterys together to charge the lowest. once it is charged it will disengage to isolate them from each other. in fact, the switch serve only for starting. if your main battery is low, press the switch to link 'em both for more starting amps for 1 minute, then disengage by itself.

Of course, there is a solid state chip attached to the solenoid to manage all that.

Gonna ask my friend to chime in to confirm.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using WAYALIFE mobile app

pa4567

As soon as I have something else than my phone I'll post you exactly the selenoid i got with my dual batery system.

pa4567

Here's my setup :

- Colehersee Smart Battery Isolator 200A (PN 48530) : http://www.colehersee.com/assets/files/hotfeeds/1299596818-HotFeedD-617.pdf
- Carling Contura II Rocker Switch (MM)ON/OFF w/ Independant Upper Light (PN V2DAA60B-00000-000) : http://www.otrattw.com/proddetail.php?prod=V2DAA60B-00000-000

- The battery isolator work without the switch.
- Switch is only used if you decide to use the status light and/or the boost switch. These are optional.
- The switch can be substituted with any switch you want. I propose this one cause it's the one I use.
- Pin 2 and 8 on the switch can be wired to the Main Battery(+) OR the Aux Battery(+) (Diagram show it wired to the Aux Battery).

Dual Battery.jpg

Holeshot

Banned
hey PA! is it a diagram you made from the one I draw? if not, It would have been so much easier with it lol.

pa4567

No I have check the wired directly on the jeep to be sure I'm not providing false informations ;p

Top Bottom