What would you do?

reagle

Hey guys, first time posting here! Been out of the jeep world for a few years but used to frequent the other forums. And am ready to get back into a Jeep!

So I owned 2 previously, 07' JKU, 10' JKUR and I am at a bit of a crossroads as to what I want now.

I've been known to make hasty decisions when it comes to vehicles in the past, get a little excited and just jump into a project without investigating (ahem '72 FJ40)... So I want to really think this one through.

But anyways I have found an 08' JKU that meets most of my criteria, it is one of my favorite Jeep colors, green. 66k miles, 2 owner, clean inside and out and bone stock. It is in Tennessee so I cant see it in person easily, but I am very interested. Key factor with this purchase is it would be owned out right, no car payment.

This would be my DD (6 miles round trip to work) and plan to mod it right from the start.

SO, the other side is, I am pretty curious of the JL and of course a newer JK would be nice, but would leave me with a payment. I don't want to go with the 08' then be unhappy wishing i hopped into the new JL...

Whatever I get I plan to keep for a long time, for once.

Any thoughts or experience is appreciated, thanks yall--

Judesign

Caught the Bug
For me it would depend on what you see as the final goal of the build. Having owned both engines I much prefer the newer pentastar pushing 37s around.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

reagle

For me it would depend on what you see as the final goal of the build. Having owned both engines I much prefer the newer pentastar pushing 37s around.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

That is the only reason for me wanting a '12 or newer. A Jeep to me is never going to win any races so I think I am ok with that reality.

End goal (power wise) would be a LS motor, but idk how far off that would be.

OhNoTheJiggies

If it were me... I would get a 2012 as you can find them for not too much more than a 2008 anyway. Might have to sacrifice a little on the miles that are on the jeep, but I would take a slightly higher mileage 3.6 over a lower mileage 3.8. That way, if you do have a payment, it would probably be a tiny one anyway...
You COULD however, keep saving up for a couple more months, and see how much you like the JL. Then if it isn't exactly what you thought, you'd have a little more toward your JK... and maybe someone would be willing to sell their 12+ for a better deal because they really want to hop on that JL preorder...

I don't want to go with the 08' then be unhappy wishing i hopped into the new JL...

Whatever I get I plan to keep for a long time, for once.
-

You pretty much answered your own question didn't you?

Wait and save your money. When the right one comes around you won't even question it.

BaddestCross

No payment is always a good thing. If you plan on doing a motor swap regardless, what difference does it make what motor is in there now? I guess it would depend on what your end goals are... If you're gonna do a wild build, start with a good base that's cheap so you have more money for the mods. Only you can answer that question.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Ddays

Hooked
If you want to mod right away might want to get a 3.6 JK. The aftermarket will be a little behind with the JL parts. Maybe not too much of a lag but it will still be a while until all of the companies
get their hands on one to do their design work.

Top Bottom