Breaking in new gears

Gibbo

In two days I'll be getting new 4.88 gears installed with ARB lockers, and 35's while were at it. I have to drive 90 miles from home to my nearest ARB outlet to have this work done. My question is, I need to tow a 6'x4' box trailer back home with my old 33's during the initial break in period. I really have no choice. Will I be O.K. if I stop a couple of times along the way and let things cool down, or should I organise to leave the trailer some where and pick it up later. I know most people here have swapped their gears over, how did you do your break in?:)

aldaman

On my '08 when I regeared to 5.13s I took it easy on the skinny pedal for the first 500 miles which included, no speeds above 60mph, no towing and hard take offs. After the 500 mile break in I changed out the diff fluids. Never had a problem since then...

That's a big investment in spending to regear, IMO I wouldn't tow it during the break in period even though you would let it cool down from time to time because you will be adding additional load to it....

MTG

Caught the Bug
Go with what the shop that is doing the regear recommends. They are the ones that will be warranting any issues. 👍

jkmadness

On my '08 when I regeared to 5.13s I took it easy on the skinny pedal for the first 500 miles which included, no speeds above 60mph, no towing and hard take offs. After the 500 mile break in I changed out the diff fluids. Never had a problem since then...

That's a big investment in spending to regear, IMO I wouldn't tow it during the break in period even though you would let it cool down from time to time because you will be adding additional load to it....

I agree 100% with you.:clap2:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, you typically want to go easy on your Jeep for the first 500 miles and then change out the oil by pulling off the diff covers. This will give you a chance to inspect it carefully. While I wouldn't have a problem driving a long distance with a new set of gears, I might be reluctant to tow on them. If this is a must, I would make sure to get a green light from your installers first as they would be the ones who would warranty any problems you might have.

Gibbo

Thanks for all the info. I thought as much with the trailer. Maybe they can store the old tires in a corner for a couple of weeks for me. Thanks again.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom