Harvey flooded my Jeep

HoustonHeathen

So my '17 Wrangler Sport was at a dealership in Dickinson Texas. Harvey came through and that area is under water. I've seen pictures of the dealership next door with people kayaking through the parking lot. Water up to the hoods on SUV's.

Assuming the same happened to my Jeep. Hood under water for a day or two..

The dealership says they are taking no responsibilities.

This is my first Jeep. Can someone offer me advice?

1. Will the vehicle be fine if it's serviced? Fluids drained, tune up and whatever?
2. Does anyone know if the dealership is responsible regardless of their statement?
3. How will I know if it's okay? I guess just test everything I can once it dries out?

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Welcome to WAL :standing wave:

It's hard to tell you what to do when you don't even know the condition of the Jeep. I would just wait it out, and hope for the best. If the dealership won't take responsibility, your insurance will come in and get you into a new Jeep :thumb:

The most important thing is you are alright. Jeeps can be replaced.

WJCO

Meme King
Water intrusion can cause damage that isn't detected for years, especially with electronics. Your dealership's insurance needs to step up and take care of you. Regardless, you need to contact YOUR insurance and get the ball rolling. Claims adjusters are going to be buried with inspections/appraisals down there for several weeks. The faster you initiate a claim, the better. I would not attempt to salvage the Jeep if it was under water, I would look to replace it.

FallonJeeper

Agreed, let your insurance company know all the details when you know them.

They will certainly go after the dealership. Because, the insurance company doesn't like to pay if they don't have to.

Let them be the bad guy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Supercharged

Vehicle will be a total loss unless it happens to be up on the air high enough on a hoist nut mot likely. Insurance companies are already head calling in all Catastrophic adjusters and third party CAT adjusters to move in as soon as the storms and flooding subside but WJCO is correct, call your insurance company asap and get the claims process started. Good luck and stay safe!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Water intrusion can cause damage that isn't detected for years, especially with electronics. Your dealership's insurance needs to step up and take care of you. Regardless, you need to contact YOUR insurance and get the ball rolling. Claims adjusters are going to be buried with inspections/appraisals down there for several weeks. The faster you initiate a claim, the better. I would not attempt to salvage the Jeep if it was under water, I would look to replace it.

Yep. It will always have a record of being a flood salvaged vehicle, too.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
The mold, mildew and electrical gremlins will never stop. If it's underwater, claim it.

jeeeep

Hooked
what others have stated - let the insurance company handle it.

You don't want a flood damaged vehicle.

HoustonHeathen

Flood water receded enough that I was able to drive to the lot today. They were closed but I found my vehicle. As best I can tell water made it up not QUITE to the bottom of the bumper. (33" tires, 2.5" lift). There was moisture/water on passenger side floorboard carpet. Seats did not get wet. There were some papers on the drivers side floorboard that never got wet. Definitely didn't get near the console or instruments. Cars near front of lot had water standing in the cup holders, but my vehicle was in the service area which just happens to be on a small rise. I think I might have lucked out!

Brings up a question though. How high of water can my jeep safely cross? I see videos online of people plowing through deep water, but I'm assuming they've done some extra prep yo their rigs?

Thanks for all the responses. I really expected it to have gone totally underwater from the images I saw on the news.

black pearl

Hooked
Flood water receded enough that I was able to drive to the lot today. They were closed but I found my vehicle. As best I can tell water made it up not QUITE to the bottom of the bumper. (33" tires, 2.5" lift). There was moisture/water on passenger side floorboard carpet. Seats did not get wet. There were some papers on the drivers side floorboard that never got wet. Definitely didn't get near the console or instruments. Cars near front of lot had water standing in the cup holders, but my vehicle was in the service area which just happens to be on a small rise. I think I might have lucked out!

Brings up a question though. How high of water can my jeep safely cross? I see videos online of people plowing through deep water, but I'm assuming they've done some extra prep yo their rigs?

Thanks for all the responses. I really expected it to have gone totally underwater from the images I saw on the news.

That sounds good for you and the jeep!

I haven't done any super deep crossings, but I've had water above the bottom of my doors. Only thing I've done is put dielectric grease in my electrical plugs under the jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BobNH

That's great news! I had a friend lost a 70's Olds Cutlass convertible to flooding once, it sucks.
As to water crossings, it is covered in your owners manual. My 2008 manual says 20" at a slow speed, but I believe they randomly changed it in 2010 to 30". I say randomly because it doesn't appear anything else changed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

el_chupo_

Great to hear all was well, and that ya'll are safe.

Water crossings and sitting submersed in water are different things.

All precautionary (insurance or not), but I would be looking at:

Water got into the carpet, I would want that replaced (preferable), or professionally cleaned. Flood water is not just rain water, there is a LOT of nasty stuff floating.
Brakes - should be fine, but I would probably want to swap pads, clean the rotors really well, and do a full flush of brake fluid. Should be sealed, but that is a lot of water to worry about with a fluid that absorbs it.
Change out fluids in the diffs. Hopefully breather tubes were installed properly and above the water lines so nothing got in, but that and oil pretty quickly. I'd lean toward all fluids, all around. Grease every where you can, check bearings, etc.

And lastly, I would be talking to my agent about a diminished value claim. While your jeep may be fine, if I were looking, and found out that it was tagged in the Houston area during the floods, I would think very hard about buying it used.

Top Bottom