Replacing cats, need help understanding.

JKUR-08

Hey ladies and gents, it's been a while since I have been on... life and shit. ANyways, my Jeep has been having this really nasty knocking while driving and after some poking around I have discovered its the catalytic converters. I noticed there are what appear to be two pre-cats? (Not sure if thats what they are) and then the two main? I don't know, I'll figure it all out once they get taken off. My question is, can I replace the 4 with a single and install a single line cat back exhaust or does the 08 JK's require there to be 4/2 cats? Thanks for any information, it is always appreciated.

- J

P.S. If anyone has any product recommendations, I am all ears (eyes??). Thanks

Last edited:

Webe

Hey ladies and gents, it's been a while since I have been on... life and shit. ANyways, my Jeep has been having this really nasty knocking while driving and after some poking around I have discovered its the catalytic converters. I noticed there are what appear to be two pre-cats? (Not sure if thats what they are) and then the two main? I don't know, I'll figure it all out once they get taken off. My question is, can I replace the 4 with a single and install a single line cat back exhaust or does the 08 JK's require there to be 4/2 cats? Thanks for any information, it is always appreciated.

- J

If you do any mods it will set off a code. I just got rid of all 4 as my state does not do checks. A stock motor runs like a rapped ape with out them. lol. How ever if you put a single cat in it may meet your states requirements if they just take an end sample. However some states required that there are also no codes reading from your vehicle. So if that is the case you will have to replace to a 4 cat system as like with mine I will have a code until the header has gotten hot. At that I would also have to reset the computer to not show any codes.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

- J

An 08 will only have 2 cats, one off of each manifold and has 4 o2 sensors. You will need to keep both cats and all 4 o2 sensors to make it work without throwing a CEL.

aTX427

The cats are stupid expensive from the dealer. I bought some off brand from Amazon and they worked fine. Sensors get from the dealer or online dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

aermotor

I see you're in SoCal, so you are nearly shit out of luck. There are very few CARB compliant cats and they are very expensive, dealer is even more. It's a nightmare. I sold my '07 which happened to need new cats thankfully.

Friend here bought some non-CARB compliant ones and put them on anyway, I'm sure he will pay for it later when smog notices... Welcome to CA hell.

JKUR-08

I actually don't have to smog my Jeep. It's registered in Texas and I keep it that way through friends so my Jeep never has to leave I just get my papers sent to me every year for both registration and inspection. So I'm not worried about regulations I'm just trying to figure out a cost efficient way to replace my cats.

Sucks you're in cali, you can get "48 state legal" systems for a few hundred bucks instead. They look to be the same systems but didn't get state certified. But they won't even ship them there.

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
I just installed a set of Magnaflow cats on my 07. That they come in 2 pieces certainly helps with alignment but they're worth it in my opinion. As a note, after about 2k miles you'll want to recheck your manifold bolts.

Courtesy is given. Respect is Earned.

Top Bottom