Axle change

TheBlueJeep

Hi everyone, let me start with introducing my self, im from Puerto Rico and bough a Jeep Jk 2 door hydro blue, haven't done any performance upgrade yet.

Well now to the point, i already had to change my weak front axle once and am looking for an upgrade. I was thinking about buying a heavy duty axle from a pick truck maybe a dodge or a ford. My question is which would be the best one i can bye and that would feet my JK. Would i have to add adapter, if so where can i get the. When obtaining the new axle would i have to change some interior parts, if so were can i obtain them.

Let me know every information you know about this topic, thanks.

WJCO

Meme King
A member here, jorgelrod, just did a ProRock on his through a shop down there in Puerto Rico.

Andy5160

Hooked
It depends how hard you ride your jeep I would say. You can pick up stock Dana 44 taken from a rubicon and call it a day or if you need mote by all means dynatrac is the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Black Beauty

it shouldnt be hard to put a d44 out of a rubi in it. i would think direct bolt in. but here is my question - how hard is it to put all the affiliated rubicon stuff connected to the front axel, such as the axel lock and the sway bar disconnect? Is all the wireing ther and it makes it plug and play or would you have to get the wire harness out of the rubi and put it in yours? has anyone done this? Im thinking about doijng it to my 16 JKUS(sahara) and trying to get a feel for what im going to get into.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
it shouldnt be hard to put a d44 out of a rubi in it. i would think direct bolt in. but here is my question - how hard is it to put all the affiliated rubicon stuff connected to the front axel, such as the axel lock and the sway bar disconnect? Is all the wireing ther and it makes it plug and play or would you have to get the wire harness out of the rubi and put it in yours? has anyone done this? Im thinking about doijng it to my 16 JKUS(sahara) and trying to get a feel for what im going to get into.

You can just run the Rubi locker of a basic relay.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Look into dynatrac, they make Direct bolt in axles for the JK. I don't know about International shipping though

This is what I did. Unless you plan on running tires larger than 37", it's the last axle you'll ever need. If you go this route, you will not need any additional mods to make the axle work. I did the axle swap in my driveway, pretty straight forward install.

Black Beauty

saharaunlimited
i realize that i can do that but i wanted a factory look. its the wifes jeep. i drive a 77 bronco. she wants things to look as factory or classy as possible so if i cant get the stock switches and the swaybar disconnect and axel lock features i may have to go another route. she likes to wheel but doesnt like crap stuck all over the place on her jeep. heck i had to install a homelink in the front header panel to keep the clip on remote off of the visor. lol

J

JKDream

saharaunlimited
i realize that i can do that but i wanted a factory look. its the wifes jeep. i drive a 77 bronco. she wants things to look as factory or classy as possible so if i cant get the stock switches and the swaybar disconnect and axel lock features i may have to go another route. she likes to wheel but doesnt like crap stuck all over the place on her jeep. heck i had to install a homelink in the front header panel to keep the clip on remote off of the visor. lol

You're not going to get a "factory" look from a random junkyard housing.
Any direct drop in - Prorocks, Rubi housings, etc with a proper switch panel relay are going to have the same fit and finish as the Rubicon setup.

jknikos

What tires are you running and/or what tires are you planning to run? I wouldn't put a junkyard axle in a new jeep. Depending on your tire size/wheeling habbits/budget I would go with either a dynatrac prorock 44 or a rubi d44 takeoff.

Black Beauty

yall are not understanding. im thinking of getting a NEW takeoff axel from one of the many modification companies out there out of a rubicon with the locking diff and sway bar disconnect. my question is how much of the wiring will i need to install the factory switches in the factory location. do all wranglers come with the same harness so it is just plug and play or do i need to get parts of all of the factory wiring to be able to use the stock switches in the stock location.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
yall are not understanding. im thinking of getting a NEW takeoff axel from one of the many modification companies out there out of a rubicon with the locking diff and sway bar disconnect. my question is how much of the wiring will i need to install the factory switches in the factory location. do all wranglers come with the same harness so it is just plug and play or do i need to get parts of all of the factory wiring to be able to use the stock switches in the stock location.

My X did not have the wiring harness for lockers or swaybar disconnect. I doubt a Sahara does. It's easy to wire up a separate switch. I put a Rubicon rear axle in my X. I installed a simple carling switch at my dash to turn the locker on and off. I also have a sway bar from a Rubicon. Instead of fooling around with wiring. I purchased an EVO no limits swaybar knob and it works extremely well. If you wish to keep everything looking stock, it's going to require a lot more work and money, but all the parts are available.

Last edited:

Benito

Caught the Bug

I believe people are mistaking you for the OP. To answers your question regarding a Rubi 44 swap, it will be direct bolt on. The automatic swaybar disconnect isn't part of the axle, that is a completely different item. If I was wanting to do what you want to do I would find a Rubi housing and add an aftermarket switch to activate the locker, I'm not sure if you could get the wiring harness and switches for the factory rubi switches. As for the swaybar I would find a Rubicon take off and install the Evo no limits swaybar disconnect.

I have a Rubicon and just installed some Dynatracs with arbs. They are running off of my switch pro control panel that I have mounted above my rear view mirror I think it looks pretty clean.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King

You would have to get a Rubicon harness. If you're going through all that work, it would probably be wiser to run an ARB locker. You can even get an Evo air actuator for the sway bar and use the same compressor. The OEM Rubicon lockers already have issues as well as the housings aren't that strong compared to a ProRock. So if you have electric locker issues up the road you will be forced to stick with that locker as the housing won't fit other lockers.

Bottom line, if you're spending this kind of money, do it once and do it right IMO.

Last edited:

jknikos

I was refering to the OP.

Sent from my LG-D855 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jorgelrod

Hooked
Hi everyone, let me start with introducing my self, im from Puerto Rico and bough a Jeep Jk 2 door hydro blue, haven't done any performance upgrade yet.

Well now to the point, i already had to change my weak front axle once and am looking for an upgrade. I was thinking about buying a heavy duty axle from a pick truck maybe a dodge or a ford. My question is which would be the best one i can bye and that would feet my JK. Would i have to add adapter, if so where can i get the. When obtaining the new axle would i have to change some interior parts, if so were can i obtain them.

Let me know every information you know about this topic, thanks.

Bienvenido a WAYALIFE!!

The stuff we ride on is mostly mud, so you are either running tall tires or you are running the trails hard or both. I originally ran my Dana 30 with C gussets and axle tubes with 33's and later 35's. I never bent mine, but play hard enough and you will. I went with a PR44 so I never have to worry anymore about breaking my axle with my setup as well as have the confidence to run off road with my jeep full of camping stuff and never bend it.

There are also shops that will help you go the junkyard axle route if that is your choice but if you do go that route you should read up on the junkyard axle thread here as it is an involved process with lots of welding and finding good axles

jorgelrod

Hooked
saharaunlimited

db8e23cc-d7b8-49ae-9763-08c4d3b81225.jpg
IMG_6061.jpg
Mine is enough "Factory Looking" for me...
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Black Beauty

Great!! got the answers I need. thanks for all yalls help. Like I said this is the wifes jeep and she is picky with extra switches in the cabin and extra guages and just crap in general stuck all over the place. lol. maybe I can use the stock switches and go aftermarket with the mechanicals just spitballing here. But i thought with how expensive it was to go with the aftermarket stuff that I thought i could pick up some stock rubi stuff for pretty cheap and have it upgraded enough for her use

Top Bottom