Dynomax Evo Comp Exhaust and DTC P06DD on first test drive

wetfootnw

Last night I installed the Dynomax Evolution Competition exhaust on my 2013 JKUR. Started up and sounded great, so I took it for a drive. Drove around the neighborhood and headed to the freeway. Getting on the freeway I jump on the gas a bit. At about ~3500 RPM the acceleration goes limp. I look down the engine light is on. As the RPMs come down the throttle recovers and I have to be light on the gas to get up to speed.

I get the Jeep back home and check for the DTC which returns P06DD. A little searching around and I found the code is related to P06DD-DUAL STAGE OIL PUMP STUCK LOW.

Anyone know if this is a coincidence or should I be concerned about the install of the exhaust causing the issue? The dealer is closed today so I will call tomorrow for an appointment, but any advise would be great.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I cannot see how the two are related, but I don't claim to be a mechanic. :) In an over abundance of caution you might want to throw the stock exhaust back on before you take it in.

wetfootnw

I took MTG's advice and put the stock exhaust back on yesterday. On the way to work this morning the engine light was still on and after work today the light is now off.
I got a service appointment for Wed to look, but now concerned these are related.

wetfootnw

Did you ask them if there would be any issues if you were to put on a different exhaust. just curious what they would say.

Sorry no, I didn't ask about the exhaust. I did ask about unlocking the backup camera functionality in the radio which will be no issue for them. Looking forward to doing that upgrade now.

Tackerdown

Banned
Sorry no, I didn't ask about the exhaust. I did ask about unlocking the backup camera functionality in the radio which will be no issue for them. Looking forward to doing that upgrade now.
you can hook up a camera to the nav system? how sweet would that be.

Beyrgut

Yeah, I am curious as well since it's going to be my next upgrade. I know a lot of people have installed them on their jeeps with no issues so I'm curious if its a coincidence or a 2013 thing.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Subscribed to see how this resolves. Good luck! Hopefully it was just a glitch.

Skid_Kid

Straight from Motor Alldata for you.

P06DD-DUAL STAGE OIL PUMP STUCK LOW

For a complete wiring diagram, refer to the Wiring Information .

Theory of Operation

The engine oil pump features seven vanes and a moving element that continuously adjusts to maintain a regulated oil pressure supply by varying the displacement of the pump. The pump has two regulated pressure stages of operation controlled by an on/off solenoid. Low pressure mode regulation (solenoid on) is approximately 200 kPa (29 psi) and high pressure mode regulation (solenoid off) is approximately 450 kPa (65 psi). The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) switches the pump between stages based on engine operating conditions, oil and coolant temperatures, speed and load. Under most typical conditions, the pump will run in low mode from idle up to around 3000 rpm and switch from low to high mode between 3000 and 4000 rpm. The maximum oil pressure in the engine is limited to 1000 kPa (145 psi) by the relief valve. Pressure in the main oil gallery of the engine can be monitored with diagnostic equipment through the oil pressure sensor mounted on the rear of the oil filter module. The minimum pressure for the engine is 41 kPa (6 psi) at any operating condition. Anything under this pressure could result in damage to critical moving parts.

When Monitored: Based upon Engine oil temperature, the monitor runs when engine speed (RPM) is over a calibrated value. The cooler the engine oil, the lower is the enable engine speed (Minimum 1000rpm). To evaluate the dual stage oil pump, fully warm up the engine. To run DUAL STAGE OIL PUMP STUCK LOW (P06DD), drive vehicle with engine speed over 3500 rpm.
Set Condition: The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) senses the oil pressure is less than a low threshold for 5 seconds. One Trip fault.

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. See: Powertrain Management\Computers and Control Systems\Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview\Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting Procedure.

1. ACTIVE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC)

NOTE: Make sure that the engine oil is at the proper level. Also, review the customers oil change history to make sure that the oil is being changed at the correct intervals and that the proper oil viscosity is being used.

Start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperature.

WARNING: When the engine is operating, do not stand in direct line with the fan. Do not put your hands near the pulleys, belts or fan. Do not wear loose clothing. Failure to follow these instructions may result in possible serious or fatal injury.

Using the scan tool, read the active DTCs.

Is the DTC Active at this time?

Yes

Go To 2

No

Perform the INTERMITTENT CONDITION diagnostic procedure. See: Powertrain Management\Computers and Control Systems\Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview\Intermittent Condition Test.

2. ENGINE OIL/ENGINE MECHANICAL

Turn the ignition off.
The following items should be considered before determining the cause of this DTC:

ENGINE MECHANICAL TOLERANCES OUT OF SPECIFICATION
ENGINE OIL PRESSURE OUT OF SPECIFICATION
LOW ENGINE OIL
DETERIORATED OR DIRTY OIL
ENGINE OIL CONTAMINATED (i.e., coolant and/or fuel)

NOTE: Failure to do so may lead to misdiagnosis.

If any of the above conditions are found, repair as necessary

Were any of the above conditions present?

Yes

Repair as necessary.
Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test.

No

Go To 3

3. DUAL STAGE OIL PUMP

NOTE: The 3.6L Oil pump is released as an assembly. The assembly includes both the pump and the solenoid. There are no serviceable sub-assembly components. In the event the oil pump or solenoid are not functioning or out of specification they must be replaced as an assembly.

Replace the Oil Pressure Sensor accordance with the Service Information.
Turn the ignition on.
Using the scan tool, erase the DTCs.
Start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperature.
Drive the vehicle get the engine within the set conditions.
Using the scan tool, read the active DTCs.

Did the DTC return?

Yes

Replace the oil pump.
Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test.

No

Repair complete.

wetfootnw

All OK

All seems to be ok this time around. :thumb::thumb: Installed the Dynomax and took the same test drive route as last. No issues at all. Crazyness :thinking:
Thanks for everyone's input on this issue. Dealer did change the oil but that was all that was done between the 2 installs. I'll keep an eye on it over the next week or 2.

FoxC

Thats good news. Did you throw the code after the oil change? And did the dealer do the oil change? I had this code after a dealer oil change last month...:thinking:
I have always changed my own oil and the first time I have the dealer do it...:doh: They changed the oil again after the code and it hasnt happened since. Its all very odd...:idontknow:

wetfootnw

Thats good news. Did you throw the code after the oil change? And did the dealer do the oil change? I had this code after a dealer oil change last month...:thinking:
I have always changed my own oil and the first time I have the dealer do it...:doh: They changed the oil again after the code and it hasnt happened since. Its all very odd...:idontknow:

Oil was changed 2k miles prior. The code was thrown after I installed the exhaust which cleared a couple days later on its own with stock exhaust back in. Dealer changed the oil when I took it in to have the code looked at.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Glad it seems to have resolved itself. Crazy coincidence. Sounds like the kind of luck I usually have. :( :cheesy:

Top Bottom