My JKUR front Elocker partially engaging

Paulrobbyn

So building up my JKUR. Installed a Metalcloak lift then took it down to 4WD parts to have 4.88's, axle assistance kit, and Dyanatrac ball joints installed. When I got it back I drove it home about 8 miles. Noticed when I got off the freeway a noise coming from the front end with the speed of the rotation of the tires. Got it home, parked it to take a look. Got back in and drove it and noise was gone. After further testing, I noticed the noise would only present itself on longer drives. 5 miles plus or so. I got it to duplicate for the techs down there. We raised it in the air and put it in drive. The gear expert determined the elocker was partially engaging for some reason. He had never seen such a thing and had done thousands of the same job. It's been in their shop now for the last couple days. Front end all apart. They are waiting on a regional expert to come in a give it a go. They are able to duplicate the problem in the shop. Anyone ever hear of this or experience the same thing?? IMG_2533.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

So building up my JKUR. Installed a Metalcloak lift then took it down to 4WD parts to have 4.88's, axle assistance kit, and Dyanatrac ball joints installed. When I got it back I drove it home about 8 miles. Noticed when I got off the freeway a noise coming from the front end with the speed of the rotation of the tires. Got it home, parked it to take a look. Got back in and drove it and noise was gone. After further testing, I noticed the noise would only present itself on longer drives. 5 miles plus or so. I got it to duplicate for the techs down there. We raised it in the air and put it in drive. The gear expert determined the elocker was partially engaging for some reason. He had never seen such a thing and had done thousands of the same job. It's been in their shop now for the last couple days. Front end all apart. They are waiting on a regional expert to come in a give it a go. They are able to duplicate the problem in the shop. Anyone ever hear of this or experience the same thing?? View attachment 274844

Is your locker light on the dash flashing on at all?
Does the locker still engage with the switch?
I'd be willing to bet something got messed up with the plunger.

Paulrobbyn

Almost guarantee it's the plunger. Shops screw up the gear install on rubicon E lockers all the time.

Update :
Well wasn't the plunger. Apparently the didn't wait for a cooling off period between the truss welds and bent the axle tube. So they offered up a Oem replacement. I also asked to quote on a pro rock. They said they'd give me a deal.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

jesse3638

Hooked
Update :
Well wasn't the plunger. Apparently the didn't wait for a cooling off period between the truss wilds and bent the axle tube. So they offered up a Oem replacement. I also asked to quote on a pro rock. They said they'd give me a deal.

Thought axle trusses were supposed to be as good as a PR44 and not bend the housing?....:crazyeyes:

JMac79

Update :
Well wasn't the plunger. Apparently the didn't wait for a cooling off period between the truss welds and bent the axle tube. So they offered up a Oem replacement. I also asked to quote on a pro rock. They said they'd give me a deal.

Hopefully it all works out. I looked into the truss option as a cheaper alternative to doing an axle swap. It helps that I am a welder and would do it all myself so there would be no labor costs other than time. It is a lot of welding so you would have to make sure to give proper time for cooling between welds.

black pearl

Hooked
Hopefully it all works out. I looked into the truss option as a cheaper alternative to doing an axle swap. It helps that I am a welder and would do it all myself so there would be no labor costs other than time. It is a lot of welding so you would have to make sure to give proper time for cooling between welds.

I did mine myself as a cheep alternative and had no issues at all. They make them stiffer, bit still no where near a prorock.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
If you can keep and reuse your internals and they have to pony up the cost of a replacement OEM housing then you should be able to get a prorock housing for near the cost and they shouldn't (but probably will) charge you for the set up of the prorock. Either way I would definitely get the prorock housing as opposed to OEM

jesse3638

Hooked
I guess the silver lining in all of this is the shop who did the install admitted fault and is trying to make it right. You don't see that too often. So regardless of your choice seems you may have a reputable shop..:).

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Paulrobbyn

I guess the silver lining in all of this is the shop who did the install admitted fault and is trying to make it right. You don't see that too often. So regardless of your choice seems you may have a reputable shop..:).

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Looks like I'll be going with the Tera44 for the fix. They offered to good a deal and seems like a decent axle. So plug for 4wp in Santa Rosa.

JeepJeep75

Cool! Get that cool 8-lug conversion too! [emoji849]

Seriously, reconsider that Tera axle. There's a reason they are trying to unload it on you.... do.... more.... research!!!!

Paulrobbyn

So much for a reputable shop. Spoke too soon. Pay the extra for a PR44.

Thanks. Have been doing some research. Paying extra isn't a problem. After seeing all the flaming of teraflex on this site I am reconsidering and will be chatting with them tomorrow. The TF they offered up would be coming direct and is a week out. 3.25 with .5 inner wall. Caster to match the lift. No fault 1 year guarantee. The numbers seemed stout enough for me. As far as I can tell after looking everywhere, these axles are engineered, sourced and manufactured 100% in the us which is also important to me. Maybe they used to be sourced in China??
Anyway I may just eat the lead time for the Dyantrac. Two-3 weeks. My rig has already been there a week and a half.
Opinions on G2's Core 44? Another option they offered.

Top Bottom