New 6 speed jk, wheeling tips appreciated.

ZachJKUR

Not my first time driving a stick, but will be my first time wheeling a stick. Any and all help appreciated.

Caffine_Addict

if you get stuck in deep water/mud, resist all habits and urges to push the clutch in. Shift into 4LO which will allow you to start the jeep in gear and save the clutch. I learned the Hard way..

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
^^^ this big time^^^ my wife destroyed my clutch and trans in one shot with this one.

Starting in 1st 4lo will help you out if you stall out on an obstacle or steep hill.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJIN4LO

^^^ this big time^^^ my wife destroyed my clutch and trans in one shot with this one.

Starting in 1st 4lo will help you out if you stall out on an obstacle or steep hill.

I got lucky one time, I was in a water hole at the hood level once (I was actually floating), depressed the clutch multiple times, and also my air box was not sealed properly from the person who installed my snorkel.

Had a soaked air filter and diffs full of water but did zero damage! Phew...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKU Arizona

Stay off the clutch as much as possible. While on an obstical just let it crawl over if it sounds like it wants to stall just give it some gas. Best thing to do is get out and wheel it get a feel for it. I still stall mine going over obsticals. Going up steep hills I usually pick a gear (depending on terrain) and stay on that gear till I'm at the top. Going down a hill i put it on 1st gear and let it slowly craw it's way down only using the brakes to slow me down if needed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

black pearl

Hooked
Stay off the clutch as much as possible. While on an obstical just let it crawl over if it sounds like it wants to stall just give it some gas. Best thing to do is get out and wheel it get a feel for it. I still stall mine going over obsticals. Going up steep hills I usually pick a gear (depending on terrain) and stay on that gear till I'm at the top. Going down a hill i put it on 1st gear and let it slowly craw it's way down only using the brakes to slow me down if needed.

^^^this is good info. I can let my rpm drop in the 500 area on obstacles, before I need to give it a little something.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
It takes some time to get over the urge to stab the clutch when you feel like it's about to die. Like already said stay off the clutch as much as possible, try to not slip or feather as you are just causing faster wear. I try to get it engaged and plant my foot on the floor board as soon as possible, the pedal is not a foot rest.
On long downhills stay off the brakes as much as possible. Use the same gear or one lower than you would use to climb up it, and let the engine slow you down.

BobNH

4lo, 1st gear, up and down obstacles. Never hit the brake or the clutch except to save your life. Go slow and easy. You will have to practice because at first, when you hit changes, your foot will oress or raise from the accelerator pedal. You will have to kearn to keep your foot steady in these situations too. Going up, always keep momentum, even if it is very little, so find a good line and go with it, and fight the desire to change at the last second, ir you will find yourself having to stop.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

zimm

Caught the Bug
It's not a dirt bike. You don't feather the clutch. Pick the right gear and use the gas. Bracing your right foot against the transmission tunnel can help smooth you out too. If you stall, before pushing in the clutch, just try tipping the starter. Most times in low range you can start the engine in gear- I'm pretty sure you can do that in a JK...

Also, don't be afraid to run through the gears in 4-lo. I was running my dad's rubi 6 speed in 3rd and 4th gear, 4 lo when the trail got easier.

JKU Arizona

Better learn how to heel-toe or get a hand throttle.
Just curious why would one need a hand throttle? On my 08 Jeep you could pretty much release the clutch fully without pressing the throttle and it'll go without stalling.

Also while in 4L the brakes alone don't stop the Jeep. I could have the brakes fully pressed in and thing still keeps going if I want to come to a complete stop I have to press the clutch in.

aTX427

Good to know. I had good success with a hand throttle on the shifter on steep climbs or if I stalled.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Just curious why would one need a hand throttle? On my 08 Jeep you could pretty much release the clutch fully without pressing the throttle and it'll go without stalling.

Also while in 4L the brakes alone don't stop the Jeep. I could have the brakes fully pressed in and thing still keeps going if I want to come to a complete stop I have to press the clutch in.

Maybe that will be a standard feature in a JL. :cheesy:

Clowe

4lo is your friend. I don't know if your jk has hill assist or not. If it does you can use it on some obstacles, so you can focus a little more. It's helped me a handful of times.

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom