Tire pressure on the trial

jkrossi

Hi all I recently mounted some Open Country A/T II 35/12.50R17 on the stock wheels. I was wonder what tire pressure I should run while on the trial while crawling and how low I can safely go in the sand without worrying about popping a bead.

Thanks for the info in advance.

StrizzyChris

Hi all I recently mounted some Open Country A/T II 35/12.50R17 on the stock wheels. I was wonder what tire pressure I should run while on the trial while crawling and how low I can safely go in the sand without worrying about popping a bead.

Thanks for the info in advance.

15-18lbs is a pretty safe range. You can pop a bead at 20lbs, so nothing is guaranteed. I know guys that will do 12 but I dont like to gamble like that

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Really depends how you drive. I used to roll 6-8psi when I hit Glamis sand dunes back in the day, never popped a bead. Then again, I wasn't turning/digging hard with lateral force. On the rocks, I generally go down to 12-15psi. No issues either.

Last edited:

jkrossi

Right on thanks guys!!! Wider wheels are definitely on the list amongst many other parts. The list just keeps on growing.

I've always aired down to 12 with standard wheels and never gone under. This is with Toyo M/Ts and it was really low enough for traction I needed in Moab and Colorado. I've never had an issue with blowing a bead but would certainly think I was close PSI wise.

LGPow2006

Ok I get it... Air down..more traction etc.

SE Arizona mix from good trail... to sand washes... to light rock crawling all in a 2 to three hour period... I have not aired down yet with no problems getting stuck (maybe not challenging myself enough yet :thinking:)

should I be running lower pressures all the time while off pavement or only when I am off trails/fire roads?

the compressor I carry (in the event I need to air down) will take a long time to inflate from 15psi back to normal. Once I am stuck its too late right?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

SE Arizona mix from good trail... to sand washes... to light rock crawling all in a 2 to three hour period... I have not aired down yet with no problems getting stuck (maybe not challenging myself enough yet :thinking:)

should I be running lower pressures all the time while off pavement or only when I am off trails/fire roads?

the compressor I carry (in the event I need to air down) will take a long time to inflate from 15psi back to normal. Once I am stuck its too late right?

I have aired down on every trail I have been on even with stock tires. It is worth it for the better traction. I have even gone 80MPH on a 'fire road' while aired down.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I have aired down on every trail I have been on even with stock tires. It is worth it for the better traction. I have even gone 80MPH on a 'fire road' while aired down.

^^^ and you'll have a much more comfortable ride being aired down. :yup:

jkrossi

I do alot of off roading in the desert with a very mixed terrain from soft sand to rocks to flat open desert. If you get stuck in the sand with full pressure it very likely to drive out by dropping pressure depending on how deep you bury yourself. Plus like overlander said it makes for a much smoother ride.

Haha reminds me of my second wheeling trip i was at 15 psi and i we where going about 40 -50 on fire roads no beads popped and a bit of fish tailing! I have gone to 15 psi i want to try a bit lower on stock moabs
My buddy on 37's goes down to 12psi!

Thats what i use but im going to buy a on board air system there was special for 199 so thats what im saving for

Top Bottom