Build of Lone Star, the 1950 Cj3a

Lone Star

I finally have a jeep. 1950 willys Cj3a. It will need some work. It wasn't as clean and well oiled as claimed to be. But all in all I still felt it was worth the trade. The guy threw in new seats and frame. I'm not planning on original restore so I was ok with that. Also a brand new bikini top from bestop. He had an old soft top and doors. It they are a little worse for wear and there's no top assembly pieces.... here is the jeep now with some of the problem spots. I am going to need to get the rinolined off and check all the metal. Rink liner is cracking in spots. And there are a few spots rusted through. Bonus is that the guy I got it from is a shop teacher in dallas and said when I am ready just give him the dimensions I need and he will cut the metal and get to me to replace the spots needed. IMG_2123.JPG IMG_2114.JPG IMG_2112.JPG IMG_2111.JPG IMG_2126.jpg IMG_2124.jpg IMG_2128.jpg IMG_2129.jpg IMG_2130.jpg it will need a fuel pump rebuild or replacement and prob a carb rebuild. Double check rework or clean up the electrical wires and lights.

Lone Star

This rear panel looks like the rinoliner is just cracked really bad, underneath and behind looks like solid metal, looks like maybe some surface rust coming through do to the crack in liner....🤞 IMG_2129.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lone Star

I for the moment decided to name her Lone Star. I was thinking about names and thought this is going to be more work that anticipated, but it has been my dream for 4-5 years now and I finally was able to work one out. Thinking about dreams people sometimes say you have to shoot for the stars to achieve your dreams. I am a true Texan and love my heritage and my state. And also with all the tragedy going on I'm more proud to be a Texan and an American as many people from across the states have come and joined in the rescue and relief efforts of the floods in Houston and along the coast. And I thought of my username on here. Lone Star. For a long time this has been my biggest dream aside from my family. My lone star I've been shooting for and and will continue to shoot for as it will be a long slow process getting her road worthy and eventually in the state I want her to end up in. So everyone welcome Lonestar to the Wayalife build threads and community.

Lone Star

I better catch up on the news, haven't been watching Irma, best wishes for everyone down there in harms way

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

They aren't sure exactly which way it's going yet, but if it stays southern towards the gulf and stays on the same track as Harvey when it hits it will be a strong cat 5. Harvey was just a 4 when it hit corpus and Houston. Can't imagine.

Lone Star

Ok so first objective is to take a look at the fuel pump and connections. It looks like there is an electric motor for the pump. What's the best way to get rid of it and get a mechanical pump? Any particular replacement pump I need to look for or extra parts? What's all involved? Thanks guys!

WJCO

Meme King
Ok so first objective is to take a look at the fuel pump and connections. It looks like there is an electric motor for the pump. What's the best way to get rid of it and get a mechanical pump? Any particular replacement pump I need to look for or extra parts? What's all involved? Thanks guys!

A mechanical pump bolts to the engine block and there would already be a hole there for the pump lever to ride on the camshaft. You really can't just add one if it didn't come with one. IMO, electric is the way to go anyways.

Lone Star

A mechanical pump bolts to the engine block and there would already be a hole there for the pump lever to ride on the camshaft. You really can't just add one if it didn't come with one. IMO, electric is the way to go anyways.

That's good to know, thank you! So here are some pics, I guess I'll be trying to rebuilt the pump and he it all hooked back up correctly. IMG_2134.jpg IMG_2135.jpg IMG_2137.jpg and on another. Let can anyone tell me what all these knobs are for? Lol fun guessin game. I could also try to look them up somewhere but for now, have at it. IMG_2138.jpg IMG_2139.jpg

Lone Star

Started a good clean. Took seats out and got the shop vac out cleaning up all the crap inside. Kids were helping. IMG_2142.jpg IMG_2140.jpg it has two ammo cans bolted down in the back. I'll have to work on they're removal soon. IMG_2147.jpg IMG_2148.jpg IMG_2146.jpg inside of the cargo hold is shot IMG_2143.jpg

Lone Star

Pulled the gas tank once I noticed it wasn't even hooked up. Some rust, inside is pretty dirty with old gas and the rust has created a few holes in the bottom. IMG_2165.jpg IMG_2166.jpg . So options, try and repair gas tank or just get a new one with piece of mind. Thoughts?

Lone Star

So I ordered a new tank and am debating on going ahead and ordering a new fuel pump as well. Is there a difference between a glass top or metal top fuel pump? Almost twice the price for the metal top.

Also I kind of like calling the Jeep Harvey, what do y'all think ? Any other opinions?

Top Bottom