Steering geometry questions

RageKage

I have been doing some research online and just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. So first things first I'm sure you all know by now I have 6 1/2" BDS long arm lift kit. (Yes I know it sky high, yes I know it's ridiculous for 37's.... but anyways lol)
my track bar and drag link don't look perfectly parallel, pretty close but I feel like it could be a lot closer... am I correct in my understanding of this?
I don't have a drop track bar bracket so I don't need a drop pitman arm?
I have an adjustable track bar so I don't technically need a raised track bar bracket?
Also does my drag link look like it's starting to bend? Might just be me...
Anyways I'm just trying to get my geometry as close to stock as I absolutely can and after doin research I feel like I might have some "extra" parts that are unnecessary and keeping it from being closer to stock than it is. IMG_6726.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

PT1400

It looks really straight to me! I'm planning on doing the 4.5" BDS kit this next year.

I know some will give me crap for this but you have to test, test, & test. Go roll over the nastiest railroad crossing and see if you get death wobble at speed. Obviously don't do it during rush hour. I see you said you don't want to put on a pitman arm with a larger drop but that'd be the only thing I'd do.

All else fails take it to an alignment shop.

RageKage

Looks to me like you have a TB drop bracket, a drop pitman arm, and a raised TB bracket at the axle. Yes it looks like your DL is bent.

To find out if TB and DL are parallel, do a string test or draw lines on a photo editing program.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/37598-Steering-Issue-or-Bump-Steer

Oops I guess I forgot to mention that. That bracket on the frame side of the track is a reinforcement bracket. I had DW because the mounting hole started to oval so that bracket put it back to circular. Not sure if that's what your saying looks like the drop bracket or not but that's what's on the frame side. I'll take a pic.

Based on what you said tho, I'm assuming having all 3 of those is not a good thing?

Last edited:

RageKage

It looks really straight to me! I'm planning on doing the 4.5" BDS kit this next year.

I know some will give me crap for this but you have to test, test, & test. Go roll over the nastiest railroad crossing and see if you get death wobble at speed. Obviously don't do it during rush hour. I see you said you don't want to put on a pitman arm with a larger drop but that'd be the only thing I'd do.

All else fails take it to an alignment shop.

I don't get death wobble anymore I fixed that about a year ago lol. I don't think I have bump steer but couldn't really say 100% for sure.

J

JKDream

I have been doing some research online and just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. So first things first I'm sure you all know by now I have 6 1/2" BDS long arm lift kit. (Yes I know it sky high, yes I know it's ridiculous for 37's.... but anyways lol)
my track bar and drag link don't look perfectly parallel, pretty close but I feel like it could be a lot closer... am I correct in my understanding of this?
I don't have a drop track bar bracket so I don't need a drop pitman arm?
I have an adjustable track bar so I don't technically need a raised track bar bracket?
Also does my drag link look like it's starting to bend? Might just be me...
Anyways I'm just trying to get my geometry as close to stock as I absolutely can and after doin research I feel like I might have some "extra" parts that are unnecessary and keeping it from being closer to stock than it is. View attachment 275151

Get a new axle side trackbar bracket ASAP.
Those are known to shear off from the side to side load.

RageKage

Get a new axle side trackbar bracket ASAP.
Those are known to shear off from the side to side load.

That bracket is the one that came with the BDS kit, but since I have an adjustable track bar I was thinking of taking it off and going back to the stock mounting location. I also have the one that came with the EVO flip kit that I was planning to use when I upgraded the front axle.

J

JKDream

That bracket is the one that came with the BDS kit, but since I have an adjustable track bar I was thinking of taking it off and going back to the stock mounting location. I also have the one that came with the EVO flip kit that I was planning to use when I upgraded the front axle.

If the EVO one is the non weld on with U-bolts I'd be putting that on right away.
Weld on is obviously the best, but I'd REALLY suggest getting rid of that bracket asap.
My Rock Krawler bracket mounted the same way before it was welded, and if you turned the wheel you could actually see the entire bracket shifting back and forth.
Also - I'd put the stock drop pitman arm on. That will bring your angles more into alignment.
You don't need the dropped arm with a flip kit.

** You will need to keep some sort of axle side raised bracket if you are keeping the flip.

Last edited by a moderator:

RageKage

If the EVO one is the non weld on with U-bolts I'd be putting that on right away.
Weld on is obviously the best, but I'd REALLY suggest getting rid of that bracket asap.
Also - I'd put the stock drop pitman arm on. That will bring your angles more into alignment.
You don't need the dropped arm with a flip kit.

Yea it's the u bolt ones. Is there something wrong with the BDS one or are you saying you've seen those rip off? It seems pretty stout and doesn't look like it would be any different than the EVO one. But ultimately if I have an adjustable track bar do I really need a raised bracket on the axle?

As for the pitman arm, ok that's what I was feeling like after reading into it more. I don't need the drop arm with the flip kit.

J

JKDream

Yea it's the u bolt ones. Is there something wrong with the BDS one or are you saying you've seen those rip off? It seems pretty stout and doesn't look like it would be any different than the EVO one. But ultimately if I have an adjustable track bar do I really need a raised bracket on the axle?

I just edited the post - yes you do need to keep some form of axle side bracket with the flip.
Otherwise your angles will go out of wack. I did my flip before getting my bracket in the mail, the bumpsteer was REALLY bad.
Your current bracket mounts just with those bolts connected to the stock bracket correct? No u-bolts or anything else?

RageKage

I just edited the post - yes you do need to keep some form of axle side bracket with the flip.
Otherwise your angles will go out of wack. I did my flip before getting my bracket in the mail, the bumpsteer was REALLY bad.
Your current bracket mounts just with those bolts connected to the stock bracket correct? No u-bolts or anything else?

Yes as far as I can tell it just mounts to the stock one, no u bolts or welds that's I can see. I'll take a pic.

J

JKDream

Yes as far as I can tell it just mounts to the stock one, no u bolts or welds that's I can see. I'll take a pic.

download.jpg

Yep - I'm sure others will agree put the other bracket on.
The stock bracket isn't designed to hold side to side load - with the bar lifted it's increasing the leverage on the bracket.
A bracket with a u-bolt design is stopping that movement - which is what rips the bracket off.
I broke off my rear as well using one of those brackets, it just lifted the mount but did nothing to reinforce it.

RageKage

View attachment 275156

Yep - I'm sure others will agree put the other bracket on.
The stock bracket isn't designed to hold side to side load - with the bar lifted it's increasing the leverage on the bracket.
A bracket with a u-bolt design is stopping that movement - which is what rips the bracket off.
I broke off my rear as well using one of those brackets, it just lifted the mount but did nothing to reinforce it.

Ah ok I see what you're saying now, makes sense. So if anything I need something to reenforce it basically.

J

JKDream

Ah ok I see what you're saying now, makes sense. So if anything I need something to reenforce it basically.

Those brackets are just a really poor design. I wouldn't be trying to reinforce it, just replace it with the EVO one.
I haven't seen any issues with those breaking the stock bracket.

download (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom