Rear Axle shaft play

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I've recently been hearing an intermittent knocking sound coming from the rear of the jeep. I finally had some time yesterday to try and diagnose the issue. What I found was the the axle shaft on my driver rear side moves in and out even though the retainer bolts are totally tight. Any idea why the axle could be doing this? Improper tone ring/bearing install? I pulled the shaft and the order of items looks correct. I'm wondering if the tone ring was pressed on too far? IDK but I was thinking it must have something to do with the bearing set up. Here's a short video:

https://youtu.be/VEWZAM3lFjA

Wanted to add that there is no sign of leaking and the knocking sound seems to only happen off road.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

deadguy

Could be the bearing retainer ring might have worked itself loose from something. Happened to me and the whole shaft started to walk out enough to where the rotor was rubbing the caliper mount.

sent from a guy with a Jeep

jeeeep

Hooked
have you checked the DS? are you sure it's coming from the rear axle area?

Do you have an aftermarket rear DS? if so, use a wrench to check the bolts on the yokes. Check the front as well.

I checked my DS several times by hand and it always felt tight (insert jokes here :doh:) but the noise continued.

The noise was getting worse so I decided to check everything with a wrench front to back and all 4 bolts on the transfer case side yoke were loose. The bolts on the topside of the yoke were close to falling out.

I tried to rotate and shake the DS by hand to see if it would move with the loose bolts but it was bound up and seemed tight.

From now on I check every bolt with a torque wrench/ wrench.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
have you checked the DS? are you sure it's coming from the rear axle area?

Do you have an aftermarket rear DS? if so, use a wrench to check the bolts on the yokes. Check the front as well.

I checked my DS several times by hand and it always felt tight (insert jokes here :doh:) but the noise continued.

The noise was getting worse so I decided to check everything with a wrench front to back and all 4 bolts on the transfer case side yoke were loose. The bolts on the topside of the yoke were close to falling out.

I tried to rotate and shake the DS by hand to see if it would move with the loose bolts but it was bound up and seemed tight.

From now on I check every bolt with a torque wrench/ wrench.

My rear DS is stock but I do have an aftermarket DS up front. I did a visual inspection on the bolts (I have paint pen marks on them for this reason) and nothing seemed like it had moved. Still, when I get the chance, I'll get under the jeep and take a wrench to all the bolts just rule out the possibility. It sure does sound like it's coming from the rear driver but I know sometimes it can be deceiving. Thanks for the feedback.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Could be the bearing retainer ring might have worked itself loose from something. Happened to me and the whole shaft started to walk out enough to where the rotor was rubbing the caliper mount.

Yea, this is what I'm thinking. I had the seal/bearings replaced a little over a year ago and maybe they installed it incorrectly. I did an internet search and some folks say that a little slop is normal but that doesn't sound right to me. Anyone care to jack up the rear tire and give it a pull? My passenger side is snug and doesn't budge btw.

deadguy

You can see how far the shaft walked out on me. This is the rotor rubbing the caliper bracket
IMG_20170225_100025444_HDR+%281%29.jpg

jesse3638

Hooked
I have the same going on with mine. I didn't think to check To see if it was hitting the caliper. Use to make a grinding noise. But doesn't anymore...

That'll happen after it rubs long enough..haha. All kidding aside when I had a bent flange I'd get a chirp chirp chirp sound coming from the DS rear when I'd apply the brakes. When I pulled the wheel and brake rotor off holding a pencil point stationary as close as I could to the flange you could see the wobble when it rotated. Looks like a good time to upgrade to Chromoly rear shafts..;). That's how I fixed mine anyways..haha.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
That'll happen after it rubs long enough..haha. All kidding aside when I had a bent flange I'd get a chirp chirp chirp sound coming from the DS rear when I'd apply the brakes. When I pulled the wheel and brake rotor off holding a pencil point stationary as close as I could to the flange you could see the wobble when it rotated. Looks like a good time to upgrade to Chromoly rear shafts..;). That's how I fixed mine anyways..haha.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Had the dealership look at it and "they couldn't find anything." I have photos and video of it. Ow and have an appointment for the 12th. Rather save the 4-500 for the pr60 for now.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Well, I'm torn between buying new chromoly shafts with the bearings pressed on or just having new bearing/tone ring put on the current axle. It's a bitch to cut off the old bearing set. I don't have a press either. Also run the risk of cutting into the shaft. PR 60 would be a nice companion to my PR44 but I don't want to spend that kind of money the moment. Decisions, decisions.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

DH2002

I went with nitro axles. Chromoly and its all pressed on and done. Took 2 hours to take out the old ones and put in the new ones. Saved headaches and trips to the shop. Def worth it.

US Army Combat Vet. Afghanistan 2010-2011

deadguy

Mine happened with aftermarket cromoly axle shafts. Bearing took a shit on me so I had to pull cut and replace and after replacing the bearing retainer ring after being pressed on backed off.

Top Bottom