Alignment issue

Slimebones

Took a rather hard unexpected hit on right front wheel from an unnoticed tree stump. Completely collapsed those suspension components resulting in loud clunk, getting my immediate attention. Got out and looked things over, no obvious damage. Anyways, after getting back on highway I could not help but notice my steering wheel was now turned counterclockwise about 10 degrees more than previously.
Checked my alignment per instructions I have followed religiously as directed on this forum. Result of this impact: wheels are now pointed "out" about 1/4" instead of the intended 1/8" pointing in.
Can anyone suggest what might have happened here to cause this result? There was no physical contact of any component other than the right front tire. Nothing is loose and there are no broken or bent brackets. Don't know what else to check.

fiend

Caught the Bug
It seems common for my steering wheel to have to be recentered a little after some hard wheeling. Nature of the beast I guess.

Slimebones

Adjust tie rod to fix the toe and drag link to straighten the steering wheel. If it was a hard enough hit, I imagine you could've slipped a couple threads on the adjusters assuming all of the brackets are in good shape.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Have you actually heard of threads skipping like this before. It is the Synergy tie rod and adjuster is tight with slot lining up. Threads "seem" OK as I have already re-aligned with tie rod adjuster and re-set steering wheel. Was not aware the threads could skip like that.

I hit a "surprisingly hard" mud hole during a trail trip after a couple friends almost got stuck I thought I'd just carry a little more momentum through it. Bad choice, instantly stopped in the hole brought the rear up off the ground when it hit. Steering wheel was a full 90* off after that. With enough force it'll definitely pull through or bend.
IMG_4802.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
Took a rather hard unexpected hit on right front wheel from an unnoticed tree stump. Completely collapsed those suspension components resulting in loud clunk, getting my immediate attention. Got out and looked things over, no obvious damage. Anyways, after getting back on highway I could not help but notice my steering wheel was now turned counterclockwise about 10 degrees more than previously.
Checked my alignment per instructions I have followed religiously as directed on this forum. Result of this impact: wheels are now pointed "out" about 1/4" instead of the intended 1/8" pointing in.
Can anyone suggest what might have happened here to cause this result? There was no physical contact of any component other than the right front tire. Nothing is loose and there are no broken or bent brackets. Don't know what else to check.

take a pic of the drag link adjustment collar , as mentioned, if there are no bent parts, it's possible it slipped a few threads.

that could be caused by the adjustment collar clamps not aligned properly.

I've had that happen, pulled the TRE off the pitman arm, turn it back in to where i could sort of see where the dirt on the threads started and everything lined back up after.

Last edited:

Slimebones

Will do. Thanks for input. Thing is though, this was an alignment issue, not a drag link issue. The drag link adjustment would indeed recenter the steering wheel but not alter alignment.

Last edited:

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Will do. Thanks for input. Thing is though, this was an alignment issue, not a drag link issue. The drag link adjustment would indeed recenter the steering wheel but not alter alignment.

Right so it could have done the same to the tie rod when you hit the stump. Check your tie rod ends and see if they slipped. likely just need to adjust to bring the toe back in.

Slimebones

So if I am understanding you guys right, it's possible these threads slipped over each other and not necessarily ruining the threads.

Slimebones

Due to the amount of threads involved here, I had not considered this to be possible, but I guess the hit was harder than I thought. Surprised that with that hard a hit it did not damage the wheel, seeing as tire was aired down. Thanks for the help guys.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Due to the amount of threads involved here, I had not considered this to be possible, but I guess the hit was harder than I thought. Surprised that with that hard a hit it did not damage the wheel, seeing as tire was aired down. Thanks for the help guys.

It definitely could have under the right comditions but the rubber usually saves you there.

Top Bottom