37" Tires Void Warranty?

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
I went to get my first 5000 mile service and I mentioned to the technician my plans to go to 37" tires. He promptly told me that it would void the entire drivetrain warranty. According to the dealer the maximum tire size allowed under warranty is 35 inches. Any experience with this? Thoughts or recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
I went to get my first 5000 mile service and I mentioned to the technician my plans to go to 37" tires. He promptly told me that it would void the entire drivetrain warranty. According to the dealer the maximum tire size allowed under warranty is 35 inches. Any experience with this? Thoughts or recommendations?

Ask for that in writing. Also they have to be able to prove that any modification actually contributed to anything which you are asking to be covered under warranty.

OhNoTheJiggies

I had an extended warranty on my 2007. It actually said in the warranty info that anything above 35" would void coverage of suspension, axles, transmission, and transfer case components. So if it doesn't explicitly say it then you can fight it pretty easily if they try to give you shit about it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
I had an extended warranty on my 2007. It actually said in the warranty info that anything above 35" would void coverage of suspension, axles, transmission, and transfer case components. So if it doesn't explicitly say it then you can fight it pretty easily if they try to give you shit about it.

Makes me want to keep my stock tires so if I have any issues I can swap them in and take it in for service :bleh:

jesse3638

Hooked

I didn't know that. I have to look at mine..haha. At least they'll cover the engine still...:crazyeyes:

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
I didn't know that. I have to look at mine..haha. At least they'll cover the engine still...:crazyeyes:

They said the whole drive train warranty would be void including the engine. That part didn't make sense to me. I can understand not covering the differentials or suspension parts but the tranny and engine? he said because of the additional drag on the engine the larger tires might cause. Seems like BS, especially if this thing is rated to tow stuff, what's to say I'm not towing gear everyday?

Journeyman

So when they say 35" do they mean what the manufacturer stated on the side wall or what the tire actually measures out to be. Definitely some 37's on the market that would fit into the actual 35" range [emoji848]

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If they deny your warranty you will lose. I've never heard a story otherwise. Not worth the fight wait until you warranty is up to mod or pay out of pocket of you want to do it beforehand.

JeepFan

Hooked
If they deny your warranty you will lose. I've never heard a story otherwise. Not worth the fight wait until you warranty is up to mod or pay out of pocket of you want to do it beforehand.

This ^^^ Mod your Jeep in any way and it's pretty much up to the dealer whether or not to cover the repair under any warranty. As OverlanderJK mentioned; you can fight it but you will lose! When I was in the car biz, I declined warranty work due to mods on a daily basis. Happens!

OhNoTheJiggies

They said the whole drive train warranty would be void including the engine. That part didn't make sense to me. I can understand not covering the differentials or suspension parts but the tranny and engine? he said because of the additional drag on the engine the larger tires might cause. Seems like BS, especially if this thing is rated to tow stuff, what's to say I'm not towing gear everyday?
I remember asking and they said that the engine would technically still be covered. Although im sure they would say that the tires messed the tranny and the tranny messed the engine or some shit, so they wouldn't have to cover it. Only way to be 100% is to leave it stock.

But yeah, i kept my stocks for a long time and when I got within a few thousand miles of that 60k mark, I sold them because I was about to move and didn't want to bring them.

OhNoTheJiggies

That's not true. Often times a shady dealer(Or service rep) will try to get you to pay for something that would be under warranty and hope you just say ok. If you fight back and show them that you know the law, they will fold. It is entirely on the dealer to prove that the aftermarket part is what caused the damage. The magnuson moss act protects you from a dealer just trying to make money off of you. If the dealer can prove that your larger that allowed tires caused Part X or Part Y to fail prematurely, then they can deny your claim.

jesse3638

Hooked

This ^^^ Mod your Jeep in any way and it's pretty much up to the dealer whether or not to cover the repair under any warranty. As OverlanderJK mentioned; you can fight it but you will lose! When I was in the car biz, I declined warranty work due to mods on a daily basis. Happens!
Damn who knew you were such a hard ass..haha.

Didn't Eddie manage to get Moby unflagged when he was trying to get recall work done for the fuel filler fix?
That's not true. Often times a shady dealer(Or service rep) will try to get you to pay for something that would be under warranty and hope you just say ok. If you fight back and show them that you know the law, they will fold. It is entirely on the dealer to prove that the aftermarket part is what caused the damage. The magnuson moss act protects you from a dealer just trying to make money off of you. If the dealer can prove that your larger that allowed tires caused Part X or Part Y to fail prematurely, then they can deny your claim.

I see your point but I can imagine that would get expensive and time consuming. I'd rather apply funds to my keep rather than an attorney.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
37" Tires Void Warranty?

Tell that to ttfhell who had to pay out of pocket to put a new motor in his jeep after he went round for round with FCA about his Mopar dealer installed CAI that was to blame for blowing his motor. I'm sure he would like to know that they couldn't deny his warranty.

Or how about Moochie who had tons of motor work done and then FCA said pound sand.

Or how about Eddie getting money flagged for mods?

Shall I continue?

The part you installed didn't come on the vehicle, it caused the issues. YOU need to prove otherwise. Chrysler doesn't have to prove shit.

Tanktitan

To some degree it may be a dealer by dealer thing. I talked with my dealer about what I was doing, the parts and objective and asked how it would affect the warranty. They said officially it would void it but they would cover me. They sell a lot of jeeps to people that aspire to build them. It is good business to support the community. But in the end, I have to man up if I know my parts caused the problem.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Funny I don't see any real world experience form the people saying FCA or Chrysler can't deny it or have to prove it. But there is all kinds of proof from the other end.

Journeyman

If your claim is big enough it will draw a red flag and Chrysler will investigate.

One of our crew has a 14 jku with only 30k, Full width Pro rock 60's on 40's and needing a new motor and trans two dealers said no. Second shop said we can go ahead and do the work, then turn into Chrysler but I guarantee this will draw a red flag and they'll investigate and turn it down and then he's personally stuck with a giant bill and still has a crappy 3.6 V6 and not an LS V8

Top Bottom