Cleaning out differential

Bwdesignworks

Ok guys, I'm new to the forum and I'm sure this may seem like a simple and dumb question. I'm looking for a little direction on this. I just recently had 4:88 gears installed and have hit the 500 mile mark on them. I need to change out the diff fluid and would rather do it myself than take it to the local shop. While I'm not a master mechanic I do have the tools and some knowledge to tackle some jobs. I've seen a few videos and read a few post and it looks pretty basic. Is there any specific brand and or type of fluid or gasket sealant that I should use? Do you recommend cleaning the gears off with brake cleaner or just inspect the to see how they are paired together? Also do I need to let the gasket sealant set for any amount of time before I drive after everything is cleaned out and refilled?

Thanks,
Bryon

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I'd have the shop that put the gears in do it, so they can determine if the oil looks the way it should. I would think this should be a free service (as part of the gear change). With that said it is a pretty simple job.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bwdesignworks

I'd have the shop that put the gears in do it, so they can determine if the oil looks the way it should. I would think this should be a free service (as part of the gear change). With that said it is a pretty simple job.

I asked the shop that did the install and was told it is an additional charge. About two hours worth of labor charges plus materials so that would be another couple hundred bucks. Would rather put that money towards my next purchase.

WJCO

Meme King
Do it yourself. Use RightStuff One Minute Gasket rtv. It cures quickly. I have found that it takes about one beer to set up and then just add fluid. As far as fluid, just stick with conventional gear oil unless you have a LSD carrier. And if you're running an ARB locker, do not use synthetic fluid.

Andy5160

Hooked
Do it yourself. Use RightStuff One Minute Gasket rtv. It cures quickly. I have found that it takes about one beer to set up and then just add fluid. As far as fluid, just stick with conventional gear oil unless you have a LSD carrier. And if you're running an ARB locker, do not use synthetic fluid.

As he said and you'll be just fine !!!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bwdesignworks

Thank you! This is what I was looking for.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I agree you should do it yourself if they are going to charge you. I'd let them inspect the oil though, if you think it looks out of the ordinary.

I bet you you won't do it faster than 2 hours though.

BlackKnight

I agree you should do it yourself if they are going to charge you. I'd let them inspect the oil though if you think it looks out of the ordinary.

I just did my front and rear dif covers (Poison Spyder Bombshells) Saturday. After about 20 minutes of setup I was draining the rear, then moved the catch and drained the front while pulling off the rear diff cover. By the time I was clear of the rear dif (used a LubeLocker gasket rather than gasket making compound). I was on to the front. Given the fact I'm crawling around on a creeper doing everything on my back, I managed to get everything together in about an hour and a half. Only took so long because I wanted to make sure the mating surfaces were super clean for the Lubelocker gasket. Lots of scraping and cleaning with Brake cleaner.

Last edited:

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Drain them, check oil. Pop off diff cover spray down gears with wd-40 if you want to clean it out. Clean diff cover and diff mating surfaces. Apply right stuff one min gasket maker to diff housing. Slap on cover. Torque to spec. Add fluid.

Bwdesignworks

I agree you should do it yourself if they are going to charge you. I'd let them inspect the oil though, if you think it looks out of the ordinary.

Challenge accepted! Tomorrow is my off day so I'll start it then.

I just did my front and rear dif covers (Poison Spyder Bombshells) Saturday. After about 20 minutes of setup I was draining the rear, then moved the catch and drained the front while pulling off the rear diff cover. By the time I was clear of the rear dif (used a LubeLocker gasket rather than gasket making compound). I was on to the front. Given the fact I'm crawling around on a creeper doing everything on my back, I managed to get everything together in about an hour and a half. Only took so long because I wanted to make sure the mating surfaces were super clean for the Lubelocker gasket. Lots of scraping and cleaning with Brake cleaner.

Good idea to let one drain while starting on the other. Might help to get me under the two hour mark ��

Yea, the scraping part takes a bit. Easy job though, crazy what some places charge.

Ya, I get that they are in business and need to make a profit to keep the doors open. Anytime I can save some $$ land do it myself I'll tackle the job.

Drain them, check oil. Pop off diff cover spray down gears with wd-40 if you want to clean it out. Clean diff cover and diff mating surfaces. Apply right stuff one min gasket maker to diff housing. Slap on cover. Torque to spec. Add fluid.

Thanks for the post! This is what I was thinking just wanted to get some direction from the group.

Top Bottom