Need an axle expert - seals ?

I just had a PR44 installed in the front of my 2013 Non rubi JK. All is well there.

I had my mechanic reconfigure my rear D44 NON rubicon axle with Tenfactory chromaloy 35 spline shafts ( MG22158) and an ARB air locker 35 sp. He used a Motive Gear Master Kit (Motive Gear Dana 44 Master Overhaul Kit Rear - JK Manufacturer Part # RA28RNJKMKT)

I have a diff fluid leak on the drivers side? Could there be some issue with the Tenfactory 35 Splines? Is there a different seal we should have used?

I put about 30 miles on it and then went into low and locked the front and rear. I crawled slowly up my street for 100 feet and began smelling fluid. The mechanic also said he had a leak a day earlier but it seemed to go away. Well I guess it really didn't. Hes 1n hour and a half away.

My thought is to replace the seal on that side and see what gives. A seal is only 17 bucks, some diff fluid and some time I guess. Any thoughts folks?

J

JKDream

I just had a PR44 installed in the front of my 2013 Non rubi JK. All is well there.

I had my mechanic reconfigure my rear D44 NON rubicon axle with Tenfactory chromaloy 35 spline shafts ( MG22158) and an ARB air locker 35 sp. He used a Motive Gear Master Kit (Motive Gear Dana 44 Master Overhaul Kit Rear - JK Manufacturer Part # RA28RNJKMKT)

I have a diff fluid leak on the drivers side? Could there be some issue with the Tenfactory 35 Splines? Is there a different seal we should have used?

I put about 30 miles on it and then went into low and locked the front and rear. I crawled slowly up my street for 100 feet and began smelling fluid. The mechanic also said he had a leak a day earlier but it seemed to go away. Well I guess it really didn't. Hes 1n hour and a half away.

My thought is to replace the seal on that side and see what gives. A seal is only 17 bucks, some diff fluid and some time I guess. Any thoughts folks?

There's a different seal for a 35 spline shaft.
Standard one is too small, chances are when the shaft was put in it knocked the two pieces apart.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I have a similar issue currently with my non Rubi 44 that I put Dynatrac 35 splines in. Dynatrac told me the seal (for their 35 splines) is a spicer 36487. Like $9 at summit racing. I assume a 35 spline is a 35 spline so probably the same seal for ten factory shafts. Good luck [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks guys. I usually find things out the hard way. That's a Dana 60 seal but I am assuming its gonna work in a D44 because the axle shaft is bigger. Thanks again!

Tcdawg

You will also need a bearing and bearing retainer. The current bearing and retainer will need to be removed(cut off) prior to replacing the seal. There is a chance you could press off the retainer and bearing without damaging them but the bearing is not expensive.

J

JKDream

You will also need a bearing and bearing retainer. The current bearing and retainer will need to be removed(cut off) prior to replacing the seal. There is a chance you could press off the retainer and bearing without damaging them but the bearing is not expensive.
What? You don't need to do this on a front axle.

**Edit: Apparently I am too tired. Disregard.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom