Handful of BB's in a blender at startup

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
I'm having an issue, 07 jku w/ 166344 miles, that has started in the last few days wherein when I start the vehicle it sounds like a handful of BB's in a blender for roughly a minute, from the driver side of the engine. Afterwards there is a wind down of approximately 2-3 seconds then it runs and sounds normal until it's restarted.
I have video, but no clue as to how to post to a youtube. Any assist on this would be greatly appreciated. Thsnks in advance.

Courtesy is given. Respect is Earned.

https://youtu.be/CR1WIMtMt1k

Last edited:
I'm having an issue, 07 jku w/ 166344 miles, that has started in the last few days wherein when I start the vehicle it sounds like a handful of BB's in a blender for roughly a minute, from the driver side of the engine. Afterwards there is a wind down of approximately 2-3 seconds then it runs and sounds normal until it's restarted.
I have video, but no clue as to how to post to a youtube. Any assist on this would be greatly appreciated. Thsnks in advance.

How is the oil, is it full, dirty, any noticeable changes in color, you could have a busted piston ring, cam shaft lobe etc, if you could post the video that would be great if you have a youtube account go to creator studio under your picture icon and then at the very bottom you should see create and it will upload your video.

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
The oil is good, about 1k miles to a change, all of those would be a constant noise I believe. Video posted.

jeeeep

Hooked
Remove the belt and start the engine. See if noise is still there. That will tell you if noise is engine related or accessory related.

this ^^^ don't run it too long though - you don't want to overheat nor run the battery dead.

also sounds like you have some dry start along with a possible bad pulley - what oil filter are you using?

Couple of things I did to isolate a bad pulley:

using a spray water bottle, spray some water on each pulley and see if the noise goes away - if it goes away that pulley may be bad.

Did you get a new pulley belt? I had to replace my belt and the one given to me was too short, it was putting too much pressure on the pulleys and it would make that noise.

and last, if your starter is not completely disengaging it will also sound like that.

https://youtu.be/CR1WIMtMt1k

I would take the covers off and do a complete inspection that sounds like something internal and doesn't sound like a pulley and since u just replaced that it would rule that out, it could be anything inside it hard to tell without doing an inspection, and i know time is the key to fixing things so when u get a chance i would take the covers off and inspect.

JohnK

Almost sounded like the starter was still spinning, at the very end sounds like it disengages and spins down - maybe?

JK

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Almost sounded like the starter was still spinning, at the very end sounds like it disengages and spins down - maybe?

JK

Deff sounds like the starter. The starter spins st around 300 rpm on startup to get things moving. Once the engine runs the starter gear actually "over runs". When it does it's suppose to disengage off the fly wheel. It sounds like it isn't disengaging.

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
Rock on, I'll look into thr starter first before I start tearing things apart. Thanks all.
I'll let you know what I find.

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
And, the starter it was... thanks Johnk & Cozdude.
Now the starter changeout, in and of itself was a breeze.
Drop the front drive shaft, remove 3 bolts a wire clip & 13mm nut and Bam done.
The reverse was easy as well until you take into account the heat shield. That makes the whole process a pain in the ass, the first time. Will always remember to get that puppy on before getting the bolts even hand tight.
Thanks again all for your input.

Top Bottom