Roof Rack Bars

BillTheCat

Looking for suggestions for roof rack bars. I want to be able to haul either a basket or kayak on my 4 door hardtop. Mounting can be either directly to the hardtop or to the rain gutters. What works best for you guys?

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
I have a Yakima system. Get the aluminum channels and bolt them to your hardtop (the same kind you'd bolt to a pickup shell). Cross bars can be easily mounted, moved, and removed as you need the rack, and you don't have a permanent installation that kills your mileage and degrades handling. You have a bunch of options for bikes, kayaks, skis, etc. You can also mount a cage, e.g. "Load Warrior." One caveat is that, since its bolted to the plastic hard top, you don't what to put a ton of weight up there (e.g. Roof top tent). But for large bulky items that don't weigh much, it's a great system and best of all, can easily be removed when you don't need a rack. The channels stay there but are low profile and look like an OEM feature.

Sahara_Maverick

What's the size and weight of your kayak? I'm asking because I have a dual-seat that is long and heavy enough for me not trusting the bolt-on channels, let alone raingutter types.
I installed a Kargo Master cage rack and strap the kayak there. The advantage of this solution is that I can carry stuff even when using the soft top.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom