New LED headlights, DRLs?

benbour

Hey all,

I just installed these bad boys:

https://www.amazon.ca/Black-Driving-Headlights-Lights-97-2017/dp/B06XDK1DSW/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

They have a DRL option, but all I can find online is people running the extra DRL wire to the fuse box to run when the key is turned. My Jeep is a 2010 JKU and is already equipped with DRLs as it's Canadian.

My question is this:

Where do I attach the DRL wire on the headlights to?

I haven't ran them yet, but I do have DRLs, they just flicker and are the high beams. Obviously this isn't good. I just want them to work the same as stock, DRL comes on when parking brake goes down.

OR is my only option to run the DRL wire to the fuse box and disable the stock DRLs with a programmer?

Hudler1

I ran into the same problem with a set of led headlights I installed in my Canadian jeep a few weeks ago. I was lucky enough to own a Procal programmer. I turned off the drl feature through the programmer and ran a wire for the DRL's to the fuse box under the hood. I used an add a circuit with a 10A fuse and used an empty slot (I think for the heated rear seat option?). My DRL's come on with the key now. They do not flicker anymore.

Apparently the drl feature enabled on Canadian jeeps sends half power to the headlight, this makes the light flicker in DRL mode. I think you have to disable it to make your new headlights work properly.

PS the programmer I have will change a few different settings on the Jeep and is a very nice tool to have. Also the new LED headlights are head and shoulders better then the stock lights!! You will love them.

benbour

I ran into the same problem with a set of led headlights I installed in my Canadian jeep a few weeks ago. I was lucky enough to own a Procal programmer. I turned off the drl feature through the programmer and ran a wire for the DRL's to the fuse box under the hood. I used an add a circuit with a 10A fuse and used an empty slot (I think for the heated rear seat option?). My DRL's come on with the key now. They do not flicker anymore.

Apparently the drl feature enabled on Canadian jeeps sends half power to the headlight, this makes the light flicker in DRL mode. I think you have to disable it to make your new headlights work properly.

PS the programmer I have will change a few different settings on the Jeep and is a very nice tool to have. Also the new LED headlights are head and shoulders better then the stock lights!! You will love them.

Thanks! I thought I could tie into the existing DRL wire, is that true? I already have them installed, they look great and do not flicker with low beam or high beam, only with the running lights. That programmer is probably more than the lights lol.

Last edited:

Hudler1

Thanks! I thought I could tie into the existing DRL wire, is that true? I already have them installed, they look great and do not flicker with low beam or high beam, only with the running lights. That programmer is probably more than the lights lol.

Since the power supplied by the factory DRL system is only half power, I don't think it will work. I put my lights in thinking the Canadian jeep already has DRL so I should be good, but mine flickered badly. From what I read during my install, you need to get a programmer and turn off the factory DRL. With the programmer you can move the drl to the fog lights or the amber lights in the grill. I bought my programmer on Kijji and saved a ton of money. I took a chance and hoped the guy had reset his jeep back to stock before sending me the programmer. He did and it works great. Check out Kijji and maybe save a few dollars.
Maybe you can take the jeep into your dealer, he might be able to change the DRL setting on your jeep, not sure what the cost would be.

benbour

Since the power supplied by the factory DRL system is only half power, I don't think it will work. I put my lights in thinking the Canadian jeep already has DRL so I should be good, but mine flickered badly. From what I read during my install, you need to get a programmer and turn off the factory DRL. With the programmer you can move the drl to the fog lights or the amber lights in the grill. I bought my programmer on Kijji and saved a ton of money. I took a chance and hoped the guy had reset his jeep back to stock before sending me the programmer. He did and it works great. Check out Kijji and maybe save a few dollars.
Maybe you can take the jeep into your dealer, he might be able to change the DRL setting on your jeep, not sure what the cost would be.

Yeah you're right on there. I live in Northern Ontario so finding that kind of item second hand is rare. I did however, Find the Superchips 3872 Flashpaq on Amazon for an amazing price ($126 CDN). I ordered it right away and checked the item again a few hours later to see that the price was now $440. It must have been a mistake in their pricing, but hey, I'll take it!

I'm pretty sure it can do some DRL stuff, although some user's report that they didn't recall an option to turn of DRL completely. I'd settle to just moving them to fog lights or ambers and running the ones that come on the new lights - or not - I'll play around and see what I like best.

I did call the dealer and they were pretty adamant that they would not be able to turn them off due to the highway traffic act despite they fact that I assured them I'd have my own DRL and could show them.

So that's where I'm at. - Basically depends on what the programmer can do with stock DRL system and go from there.

Hopefully the lights are ok for a couple more days with DRL flicker...

EDIT: The Seller sent me this video

It indicates that the plug for the turn signal that has 3 wires, the middle white wire is the daytime running lights, and you should splice into that...do you know if that's accurate?

Last edited:

benbour

Anti flicker harness might work. They have them on Amazon cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Anti-flicker is already installed, I'm talking about DRL flicker specifically due to the LEDs only being fed half power of factory DRL system.

My question is, in this video he shows the middle wire of signal light plug as the daytime running lights that you'd splice your LED DRL into, I just wanted to know if anyone can confirm that that's correct?

Thanks!

Last edited:

madstiles

Anti-flicker is already installed, I'm talking about DRL flicker specifically due to the LEDs only being fed half power of factory DRL system.
Is the anti-flicker on the headlights or the drl? On mine they're separate wires although I don't use the drl right now, haven't had time to mess with them. Also I don't have Canadian.

benbour

Is the anti-flicker on the headlights or the drl? On mine they're separate wires although I don't use the drl right now, haven't had time to mess with them. Also I don't have Canadian.

It's kind of hard to explain, but the DRL wire on the new LEDs is currently not hooked up to anything. But being as the Jeep is Canadian, it sends about 60% power to the high beams (or something like that) to act as your DRLs. So it does that as well with the new LEDs but obviously they flicker because of the reduction in current. This happens whether you hook up the LED's DRLs or not.

So I see 2 options to fix this:

1) Use a programmer to move the DRL to fog light or turn them off completely. Then I can run the DRL wire on the new headlights to accessory (optional)
2) Do as this guy does in the video and just splice the LED light's DRL wire into middle white wire of turn signal harness.

I know this is confusing but it's all because of how the Canadian Jeep DRL system works...

SDG

Caught the Bug
Would be more complicated but if it's truly half power, could use a 6v relay off the DRL to operate a relay, that would trigger 12v to the DRL line of the LEDs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

Canadian model JK's use pulse width modulation to provide a lower voltage to the headlights and thus reducing the light output.
The Canbus isn't programmed to work with an LED as the voltage levels are quite a bit lower.
The easiest way to combat this - is to actually just turn the headlights on every time you are driving.
Personally, I could never get the DRL's to function properly. It was easier to turn them off with the programmer as suggested, and then run my auto headlights.
Either they're on at night, or off completely during the day. Never been hassled for it.

benbour

Canadian model JK's use pulse width modulation to provide a lower voltage to the headlights and thus reducing the light output.
The Canbus isn't programmed to work with an LED as the voltage levels are quite a bit lower.
The easiest way to combat this - is to actually just turn the headlights on every time you are driving.
Personally, I could never get the DRL's to function properly. It was easier to turn them off with the programmer as suggested, and then run my auto headlights.
Either they're on at night, or off completely during the day. Never been hassled for it.

I have the programmer coming in so I can definitely try turning them off, and running my own to the fuse box under the hood.

Or I may try use the DRL wire on new headlights spliced into DRL wire on signal light harness...I'm wondering if that will work since the dedicated DRL wire on leds only light up upper and lower bars (if you check product link in first post it has pics of what I mean)

Hudler1

I think the easies way to do this is turn off the DRL with your programmer and run the wire to the fuse box to power the DRL when the key is turned on. You will get the DRL to function as the headlight manufacturer intended it to work and you will have drl on as the law requires. Its not hard to run the wire and I think you will be happy with the results.

benbour

I think the easies way to do this is turn off the DRL with your programmer and run the wire to the fuse box to power the DRL when the key is turned on. You will get the DRL to function as the headlight manufacturer intended it to work and you will have drl on as the law requires. Its not hard to run the wire and I think you will be happy with the results.

Cool. I have no problems running some wire or anything like that. I just hope the Flashpaq can turn off the DRLs all together (rather than just moving them)

Thanks for all the input guys!

J

JKDream

Cool. I have no problems running some wire or anything like that. I just hope the Flashpaq can turn off the DRLs all together (rather than just moving them)

Thanks for all the input guys!
It can. I have the same programmer and that's what I used to turn mine off.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
Yeah you're right on there. I live in Northern Ontario so finding that kind of item second hand is rare. I did however, Find the Superchips 3872 Flashpaq on Amazon for an amazing price ($126 CDN). I ordered it right away and checked the item again a few hours later to see that the price was now $440. It must have been a mistake in their pricing, but hey, I'll take it!

I'm pretty sure it can do some DRL stuff, although some user's report that they didn't recall an option to turn of DRL completely. I'd settle to just moving them to fog lights or ambers and running the ones that come on the new lights - or not - I'll play around and see what I like best.

I did call the dealer and they were pretty adamant that they would not be able to turn them off due to the highway traffic act despite they fact that I assured them I'd have my own DRL and could show them.

So that's where I'm at. - Basically depends on what the programmer can do with stock DRL system and go from there.

Hopefully the lights are ok for a couple more days with DRL flicker...

EDIT: The Seller sent me this video

It indicates that the plug for the turn signal that has 3 wires, the middle white wire is the daytime running lights, and you should splice into that...do you know if that's accurate?

middle wire is correct:

posi-tap_halo.jpg

benbour

That is great news! You will be all set, running the new DRL wire is easy and it will work perfect for you. Enjoy those new lights Benbour!!

Thanks! I ran the wires yesterday nice and clean like. Just have to attach it to the fuse tap and turn off DRL when programmer comes in later today!

Hudler1

Nice here is a picture of my lights. they are a real improvement.

Attachments

• IMG_0587.jpg
    IMG_0587.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 49
Top Bottom