Check engine light

DanJK2007

Light came on for the gas cap. So I tightened it and figured it would turn off after it runs another test. It's been a few days now, I even did the 3 turns of the key trick to see the codes and it always comes back as dONe . That should mean there's no reason for the light correct?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Judesign

Caught the Bug
I know you have to drive a certain amount (either mileage or time) for the computer to consider it a drive cycle. If it's a small evap leak I would disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the cel and see if it comes back. If it doesn't then probably a loose gas cap. If it does then run by an auto parts store for a free dtc reading to get more direction on the problem.

Light came on for the gas cap. So I tightened it and figured it would turn off after it runs another test. It's been a few days now, I even did the 3 turns of the key trick to see the codes and it always comes back as dONe . That should mean there's no reason for the light correct?

Only click the gas cap once and then hop in the cab turn the key three times and see if it gives u a code, if not u can run a dtc on it. Do you have a superchips tuner by chance? It could also be your evap sensor as-well.

DanJK2007

I know you have to drive a certain amount (either mileage or time) for the computer to consider it a drive cycle. If it's a small evap leak I would disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the cel and see if it comes back. If it doesn't then probably a loose gas cap. If it does then run by an auto parts store for a free dtc reading to get more direction on the problem.

Ok gotcha. Thanks for the insight

J

JKDream

Only click the gas cap once and then hop in the cab turn the key three times and see if it gives u a code, if not u can run a dtc on it. Do you have a superchips tuner by chance? It could also be your evap sensor as-well.

Don't you have some printer paper to be attending to?

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Yes that's what it is. But then I tighten it and it just popped up again today. The gas cap message will go away but the engine light does not

Try seeing if the oring on the cap is bad. The surface on the filler neck the cap meets is dirty. You can also go along checking for lose connections in all your lines. Check around where lines run into fuel tank. Take that leak detector off and clean it and clean the oring as well on it.

Top Bottom