Steering Constantly Off

Jace817

I've only had my 2011 JK for about a month, but I've already had to re-center the steering twice. I'm not doing any off roading yet, just city driving. Is there any reason for this to keep moving? I've tightened the adjuster to a firm hand tight. Is there a torque spec for it? Anything else I should look at?

JKbrick

I've only had my 2011 JK for about a month, but I've already had to re-center the steering twice. I'm not doing any off roading yet, just city driving. Is there any reason for this to keep moving? I've tightened the adjuster to a firm hand tight. Is there a torque spec for it? Anything else I should look at?

Is the gap in the pieces the bolts go through in line with the gap in the sleeve? There is a torque spec but it's not in my head at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
the torque is 26 ft/lbs but if it's already been stripped it could be hopping the threads.

Do you have witness marks on the bolts to see if they're working loose?

This is how it shouldn't look:

DragLinkAdjustment copy.jpg

how it should look:

DL_adjustCorrect.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Other thing to check is that the pitman arm is tight on the box and if it has an aftermarket pitman arm that may not have good true splines.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Other thing to check is that the pitman arm is tight on the box and if it has an aftermarket pitman arm that may not have good true splines.

Pitman arm on the JK is keyed so it can't be installed wrong or skip teeth. How bout play in the rod end Joints? Or play in the box its self? I do feel the most likely culprit would be that drag link adjuster though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jace817

You guys nailed it. The bolt brackets were 180 degrees off of the slit in the coupler. I bet that fixed it. Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom