Problems this morning with the JK

Conman

Hey All

Wanted to get some opinions from you guys before I take the Jeep into the dealer. On my way to work this morning when I hit about 65 and 2000 rpm I start getting an intermitten jerking in the Jeep. Almost seems like the motor is missing or something. If i had to describe the jerking it would be kinda like stepping on your brake hard and then releasing fast. No backfiring, no grinding and no codes thrown. As soon as i speed up or slow down it stops.

I am still under warranty I am just trying to save the 100 buck deductible.

Thank you brothers for any input!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do you feel it in the steering wheel or throughout the whole Jeep? Do you feel it's more of an engine related issue or something you're not entirely sure of?

Conman

Hey All

Wanted to get some opinions from you guys before I take the Jeep into the dealer. On my way to work this morning when I hit about 65 and 2000 rpm I start getting an intermitten jerking in the Jeep. Almost seems like the motor is missing or something. If i had to describe the jerking it would be kinda like stepping on your brake hard and then releasing fast. No backfiring, no grinding and no codes thrown. As soon as i speed up or slow down it stops.

I am still under warranty I am just trying to save the 100 buck deductible.

Thank you brothers for any input!!

It feels to me like an engine issue. Almost like the engine is backfiring but with out the actual backfire. If it wasnt so intermitten I would maybe think drivetrain. Its almost feels like driving over an expansion joint in the road every once in a while.

Conman

Do you think I should just take it in to the dealership and have it checked? If i do how do i explain it to the service tech?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Eddie what dealership do you use?

It'll be a drive for you but, I've been using Bob Baker down in Carlsbad for a while now. In spite of the fact that I have highly modified Jeeps, they have always been good to me. I have tried using Tuttle Click in the past and would NOT recommend them.

Conman

It'll be a drive for you but, I've been using Bob Baker down in Carlsbad for a while now. In spite of the fact that I have highly modified Jeeps, they have always been good to me. I have tried using Tuttle Click in the past and would NOT recommend them.

Yup I have used Tuttle Click before, they had the Jeep for a week! Parts came in to fix and they had them as a customer will call instead of for service dept!! :doh: Only way I found out was becuase the parts dept. called me asking when I was going to pick them up. :banghead:

Rebel JK

Thats pretty close to what it feels like. Wouldnt a bad sensor throw a code?

Sounds exactly like when one of my F150 coil packs would go out. Have now replaced 4 of 8. A little stutter/miss at 1700 rpm but ran fine above or below that.

Conman

Sounds exactly like when one of my F150 coil packs would go out. Have now replaced 4 of 8. A little stutter/miss at 1700 rpm but ran fine above or below that.

Its for sure something with the motor but no codes have been thrown yet si i cant pin point the problem.

GARBO

I had a problem like on my 2door jk with a manual trans. but it was only with first and second gear. lasted a day or to but it was cold -10. figured it out to being the hill assist sticking in the cold.

Conman

Update

Took the Jeep into the dealership yesterday. Service tech called me back this morning and told me i have a cylinder with a spark plug wire that is breaking down and creating a misfire. They say it is not covered under warranty and want to charge 450 bucks to change plugs and wires!! :eek:. They also said i have a busted manifold bolt on driver side. This is covered under warranty. So I have 2 questions.

The first is obviously I will do the plugs and wires myself. What is everybody using or what do you recomend I use?

The second is do i have the dealer handle that busted manifold bolt? Keep in mind my warranty has a 150 dollar deductable. Should I tackle that myself ?

Last edited:

Markymark420

I would think that the exhaust manifold bolt would be covered by the Emissions Warranty (I forget the terms 6yrs/80k, or something). My Jeep is out of warranty and is actually going in 2mrw to have the driver side exhaust manifold replaced free of charge under this Emissions warranty(It has been on backorder for the last 3 months).

Conman

I would think that the exhaust manifold bolt would be covered by the Emissions Warranty (I forget the terms 6yrs/80k, or something). My Jeep is out of warranty and is actually going in 2mrw to have the driver side exhaust manifold replaced free of charge under this Emissions warranty(It has been on backorder for the last 3 months).

I am going to call chrysler and see if I can get them to do it for free for me. What dealership are you using to have it done?

Markymark420

I have been going to Orange Coast in San Juan Capo. They aren't too bad, but haven't had too much done there, just oil changes and o2 sensor replacement.
Just don't let them wash your jeep. I swear that they use a Scotchbrite pad.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I hear you there same place I go and I don't let them wash my jeep. The first time they did only half the jeep the side I see when bring it out. But the service dud is pretty cool.

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Top Bottom