Power Block for accessories.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Power Block for accessories.

Rear compartment Compressor install, this setup can be used with all your accessories (lights, compressor, etc...). For now I am using the compressor.

1. Locate compressor mounting point.
2013-02-15 12.37.09.jpg

2. Wire type and route.Compressor wire will be #10 awg because of the amps running in wire. Using a fish tape (used for fishing wiring in the walls of house or in conduit) thru the frame from just above and front of the body mounting point just behind the passenger front fender, there is a small hole on top of frame. To the rear end frame at the last body mounting point behind the rear passenger fender. (small hole on top of frame) Leave plenty of slack at both end to be able to connect and tidy of the wires.
2013-02-16 11.45.13.jpg

3. From the rear frame run the wire thru the drain plug on bottom of jack basin. Located under the jack, make a small hole just big enough to pull the two wires thru. Pull enough wire to the compressor location for connection. Route the wire under the door seal to the drivers side rear panel. Drill small hole near compressor mounting location and pull wire thru. Add connector to wires and heat shrink.
2013-02-16 12.24.48.jpg

4. Connect wires to switch and Mount compressor as wanted ( I used 4 self tapping screws into rear floor panel).
2013-02-15 12.37.09.jpg
2013-02-16 15.56.02.jpg

5. Looking down on the left side of battery you should be able to see frame and wires, Using fish tape or pushing wire route up to engine compartment leaving enough wire to give your self a service loop and connections.

2013-02-16 11.21.14.jpg
2013-02-16 12.15.03.jpg

Service loop is used to be able to have enough slack in wire to remove block and bracket for battery replacement.
2013-02-16 12.55.23.jpg

6. Add mounting bracket and power block. use existing hole and then drill 1 new hole as needed.

2013-02-16 14.13.44.jpg

7. Using #10 awg wire RED and BLACK, cap one end of wire with wire cap to keep from arcing. Cut 2 pieces of wire about 2 feet long. Add connectors and heat shrink to one end use round connectors at battery and fork style at power block. Connect red to (+) side of battery and black (-) side of battery. Add wire wrap for clean look. Run wires along existing wire wrap adding
zip tie were needed. Connect the red wire to far left terminal screw and black to far right terminal screw. Use fork style connectors at this end. At this point added connectors and connect the compressor wires (red) to first far left terminal screw opposite side of power block. and (black) wire to far right opposite side of power block.

2013-02-16 14.13.45.jpg
2013-02-16 14.34.13.jpg

HEAT.jpg
tsl-1-324918-0.jpg
tsl-c-2710-06x.jpg

8. To add more power connection points for other accessories you will need to add jumpers (+) and (-) for ground you can also connect directly to frame or grounded body parts. For jumpers take a #10 awg wire about 3" inches long add fork style connectors to both ends of wire and heat shrink. Flip connector over and install under connector coming from battery then connecting other end to next terminal screw. Now the terminal screw on opposite side will be hot and ready for connection repeat for black wire. You can add more jumper as needed. That's it you are ready to added lights etc.....
2013-02-16 14.55.45.jpg
2013-02-16 15.55.47.jpg

Hope this helps you!!! Compressor is ready to use....

2013-02-16 15.56.02.jpg

Last edited:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Nice write up. Where did you buy the power block if I may ask?

I got the power block (terminal strip) from one source electrical, I know walther electric, R-Vac. Radio shack may carry them too but not sure. Also I believe McMaster-Carr has them too. I would almost think Pep boys would have something similar to it, but not as beefy. Its rated for 20AMP and 300Volts. Hope that helps!:yup:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Here is another type of power block (terminal strip) would work great under dash or under hood no wire connectors needed.

2013-02-19 13.47.50.jpg

bgall

I put my block on the driver's side so it was closer to the passthrough and A pillar. Less wire length to the buttons that way.

Rebel JK

Wow thanks, very good write up. I think I know where to mount my compressor now. I really like the terminal strip idea. The only thing I would humbly add is I would caution folks to make sure to fuse their wiring correctly. #10awg is normally rated at 30 amps, so a 30 amp fuse would protect the wire, but consideration also should be make for the compressor motor as well. Assuming the motor has thermal protection built in, only the wire needs to be protected.
If no fuse is there to protect the wire, in the event that the positive gets pinched or chafed along the way, the current will go to ground (short circuit). Its important to keep in mind that with the battery rating at 600-800 CCA's which in no time will turn that #10 into a welding electrode and create a possible carbeque! The fuse should be installed as close to the battery as possible because the wire is not protected upstream from the fuse.
I have personally seen this happen not on vehicles but in buildings where we have been called in for emergency repairs because the correct breakers or fuses were not used.

Just my 2cents.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Wow thanks, very good write up. I think I know where to mount my compressor now. I really like the terminal strip idea. The only thing I would humbly add is I would caution folks to make sure to fuse their wiring correctly. #10awg is normally rated at 30 amps, so a 30 amp fuse would protect the wire, but consideration also should be make for the compressor motor as well. Assuming the motor has thermal protection built in, only the wire needs to be protected.
If no fuse is there to protect the wire, in the event that the positive gets pinched or chafed along the way, the current will go to ground (short circuit). Its important to keep in mind that with the battery rating at 600-800 CCA's which in no time will turn that #10 into a welding electrode and create a possible carbeque! The fuse should be installed as close to the battery as possible because the wire is not protected upstream from the fuse.
I have personally seen this happen not on vehicles but in buildings where we have been called in for emergency repairs because the correct breakers or fuses were not used.

Just my 2cents.

Right there with you, I am planning on adding fuses just haven't done it yet. I am making up a new wire bundle for rear light , rock lights, inverter will add fuses to all. Great add to post.

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

Silly question. Where does one find said power blocks? I am starting the build on 11 JKUS and this will need to be part of my build.

R/
Will

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Silly question. Where does one find said power blocks? I am starting the build on 11 JKUS and this will need to be part of my build.

R/
Will

I can answer for the type in write up. They can be bought at electrical supply store. Radio shack may have them and some home depots. Power block or other name is a terminal strip.

Top Bottom