Back to the drawing board...advice?

CinciRubi17

Hey guys so still pondering on my suspension setup for my 2017 JKUR before I pull the trigger. So my original plan goes as follows:
-Evo double d 4"
-bilstein 5100's
-37" Nitto Ridge grapplers
-5:13 re-gear

Now I've been wanting my build to be a mix of overland/ rock crawling. The more I read the more I am second guessing myself. I do want to go with 37's for the trail advantage and of course to set apart from the rest of the Jk's on 35's in my area but is this not the right setup for what I'm wanting to do? My new "reconfigured" lane would go as follows:
-Evo enforcer stage 3 3"
-king remote reservoir shocks
-37" nitto ridge grappler

I've considered going this route now due to the fact that with over landing and DD it would be better for a LCG and the mods wouldn't be permanent like going to the long arm setup. But will 37's and 3" still give me as much wheel travel as I would get with the 4"? Also when I air down with 37's and 3" of lift will I still have a good amount of ground clearance? Any advice on the biggest advantages for one setup vs. the other would be great! Thank you! ALSO I will of course be replacing driveshafts as well as adding axle truss and c's since I'm going to 37's.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
Hey guys so still pondering on my suspension setup for my 2017 JKUR before I pull the trigger. So my original plan goes as follows:
-Evo double d 4"
-bilstein 5100's
-37" Nitto Ridge grapplers

Now I've been wanting my build to be a mix of overland/ rock crawling. The more I read the more I am second guessing myself. I do want to go with 37's for the trail advantage and of course to set apart from the rest of the Jk's on 35's in my area but is this not the right setup for what I'm wanting to do? My new "reconfigured" lane would go as follows:
-Evo enforcer stage 3 3"
-king remote reservoir shocks
-37" nitto ridge grappler

I've considered going this route now due to the fact that with over landing and DD it would be better for a LCG and the mods wouldn't be permanent like going to the long arm setup. But will 37's and 3" still give me as much wheel travel as I would get with the 4"? Also when I air down with 37's and 3" of lift will I still have a good amount of ground clearance? Any advice on the biggest advantages for one setup vs. the other would be great! Thank you! ALSO I will of course be replacing driveshafts as well as adding axle truss and c's since I'm going to 37's.

with the 2nd option you can run 37's easily with some fender trimming.
IMO with either configuration I wouldn't go 5:13 because the R&P gets smaller = higher risk to breaking on the trail depending on how you wheel.

With the 3.6L 4.88 gears should work fine.

I'd skip the axle truss and gussets and get a Dynatrac PR44 Unlimited housing with 1/2" axle tubes, welded on high steer track bar bracket, and swap the Rubi parts over approx. @2600 for the Dynatrac housing with stock ball joints.

Sell the Rubi D44 casing - they have good sell value.

The price you would get for the D44 would likely pay for the regear.

Think about upgrading the brakes to stop those 37's - Dynatrac ProGrips work fantastic and easiest install on the market.

you'll also need longer brake lines, driveshafts (1350 rear, min 1310 front) and IMO ram assist steering- look at PSC's offerings.

Nothing like getting on a trail with a lot of tight turns and you realize the 37's aren't turning so well...

good luck!

Last edited:

rock lobster27

I have a 2013 with a 4" lift on 37s and I re geared to 5:13s and I wish I would have went to 4:88s instead due to the high RPMs at highway speeds. I'm hitting almost 3k rpms at 65-70 mph, my mpg is horrible. The low end "power" is nice though.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I'm running basically an enforcer 3". 37x13.5 Cooper SST pros on ATX beadlocks. King remote res shocks. You will have to cut the fenders for clearance. I needed a front drive shaft. Stock rear is fine so far. Solid advice on the dynatrac pro-grip brakes, huge difference. I'm on 4.88 gears, wish I went 5.13, but I have a rubi D44 front axle. I tow a camper, so maybe the 5.13 would let me hold 4th gear instead of dropping to 3rd on every uphill on the highway.

If you plan for any rock crawling, you'll eventually want PSC hydro assist steering. I installed it last month and what a difference! It was really annoying when spotters were telling me which way to steer and I couldn't turn the wheel at all.

As for flex and clearance, I'm happy with what I have using only adjustable lower fronts and stock for the rest. The rock hard skid plate takes care of anything I can't clear.
View attachment 277393
View attachment 277394

Benito

Caught the Bug
Do the 3" DD long arm, your ride quality will be better over the Enforcer. Specially since your going with the king shocks. 4.88 will give a slight strength advantage and will be ok driving if you have an auto, but great if you have the 6 speed. I have ran the 3" enforcer with fox shocks, and upgraded to the long arm recently and the long arms were a major improvement over the short arms as far as ride quality goes and I guess that is something you want when "over landing"

Top Bottom