What are the potential consequences of driving with a bent flange?

boardsurfer

I am 90% sure I have a bent flange on the rear driver side (Stock D44). I can tell because there is a repetitive squeaking that I can hear at low speed - especially in the parking garage at work it is most noticeable.

It is near the end of wheelin season here so I think I can get by with just my work commute which is only 6 miles each way.

I really dont want to spend the money on it because I am pretty close to the 44/60 Dynatrac package.

So is my wheel going to fly off at the worst possible moment? Am I endangering people around me? How long can I hold out? What's the worst that can happen?

J

JKDream

I have about 30,000km with a bent flange. Besides wearing out my caliper slide pins I haven't had any issues.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Slimebones

At the very least, it seems like you would get uneven wear on those nice Coopers of yours, at least on that rear tire.

WJCO

Meme King
OK Jake, my turn to scare the shit out of you, lol. Here's what happened to me after a bent flange: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/43096-Bent-rear-axle-flange?p=837764&viewfull=1#post837764 HOWEVER, this was after a slow speed collision to my RR wheel. I got less than ten miles on it before SHTF.

With that being said, I repaired it and bent that same damn flange after a trail last summer and it squeaked for about a year with no issues. I just replaced it when I put in the locker this summer.

If it hasn't caused an issue for you yet, I doubt it will.

boardsurfer

OK Jake, my turn to scare the shit out of you, lol. Here's what happened to me after a bent flange: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/43096-Bent-rear-axle-flange?p=837764&viewfull=1#post837764 HOWEVER, this was after a slow speed collision to my RR wheel. I got less than ten miles on it before SHTF.

With that being said, I repaired it and bent that same damn flange after a trail last summer and it squeaked for about a year with no issues. I just replaced it when I put in the locker this summer.

If it hasn't caused an issue for you yet, I doubt it will.

Thanks for that. I am about due for a tire rotate. I'll have to give everything a good look over while I'm in there.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Wearing out brake pads prematurely is the only damage I've done while running a bent flanges. Sometimes, the squeaks come from the brake pads and not the axle bearing. Grease the pads and prisons well and it may not drive you as crazy as you wait for the pro rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom