Smoke coming from under the hood

JK12

So i've noticed when i am driving, that when i'm at a stop I can see a little smoke coming from the hood. I've looked for anything that is leaking or anything and I can't find anything and it smells a little burnt but I couldn't tell what is burning or burnt. i have an 09 JK Unlimited Rubicon. Any ideas?:thinking: sounds stupid but i can't find anything...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Most likely just coolant. Have you checked your over flow bottle or water pump weap hole??

ZERO LIMITZ

I have noticed that same thing on my 11. I have never been able to locate anything that I could pinpoint. My fluids are always ok and no signs of leakage. Dealership told me that it was just normal. I just watch everything real close, but have never found anything yet. 61000 miles and counting.

JK12

Most likely just coolant. Have you checked your over flow bottle or water pump weap hole??

I checked my over flow bottle today and there's nothing really in it just a little bit of coolant. And I dont know what the weap hole is. So could you help me out with that?

JK12

I have noticed that same thing on my 11. I have never been able to locate anything that I could pinpoint. My fluids are always ok and no signs of leakage. Dealership told me that it was just normal. I just watch everything real close, but have never found anything yet. 61000 miles and counting.

Ok ha I feel a little better about it that I'm not the only one. I guess ill just keep an eye on everything thanks!

Beyrgut

If it's coolant it will be a kind of sweet smell, maybe not sweet but distinct. If its oil its pretty foul in comparison, think being behind an old beater with bad valves with smokey exhaust. As for the weap holes, they are holes on the water pump that leak when the internal seals go bad, look for a coolant puddle under the vehicle or water below the pump.

Probably not the most technically correct info but I'm sure some of the other can clarify it.

NAUJK

Sometimes the only course of action if you cant figure out what is wrong is to let it go till it either gets better and nothing happens or it gets worse to the point you can figure out what the problem is. Such as me and my wobble and my wheel coming off, and Eddie last year at the JKX in CO with his squeeky noise that finally stopped and turned out to be a rear sway bar if my memory serves me well.
Hope everything is well and you figure it out soon tho! :beer:

JK12

Sometimes the only course of action if you cant figure out what is wrong is to let it go till it either gets better and nothing happens or it gets worse to the point you can figure out what the problem is. Such as me and my wobble and my wheel coming off, and Eddie last year at the JKX in CO with his squeeky noise that finally stopped and turned out to be a rear sway bar if my memory serves me well.
Hope everything is well and you figure it out soon tho! :beer:

Just a few weeks ago I got that problem with my wheel, lucky I got to it before it came off! But I haven't noticed it lately so I'm not too worried about it

Moochie

Sometimes you will see steamy vapor from the front grill area. Its water on the outside of the radiator cooking.

Holeshot

Banned
x2 on water/moisture in the radiator, it happens to me really often these days, lot of melted snow/water flying in there when following cars on the highway.

Next time it happens, just pop the hood, and if its water or moisture in the radiator, it'll come out from the rad, which is normal, if weather is rainy/snowy/slushy or whatever.

Hoghd06

Not sure man. If you end up not finding an answer here just take it in somewhere. Have them diagnose it for free then fix it yourself if you able or maybe it's a Minor tweak. Good luck.

Hoghd06

Oh yeah, possibly it's small amounts of oil burning. Does it use up oil between changes. I thought I heard the 3.8 motors burned a little oil

JK12

Oh yeah, possibly it's small amounts of oil burning. Does it use up oil between changes. I thought I heard the 3.8 motors burned a little oil

I've never had a problem with that. It doesn't seem to lose any oil between oil changes

Top Bottom