Help needed. Found this when changing brake pads

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
So found this when changing out my brakes. So ummmm, how bad is this and how would I go about fixing it? Also I'm assuming these rotors are bad. Outside rim is rough to the touch. And thirdly looks like I see why my steering wheel is shimmying!
zcamera-20171001_122910.jpg
zcamera-20171001_122927.jpg
zcamera-20171001_122944.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
I would carry it to a wheel alignment place most of the time they do brake work and replace the rotor and have the wheel stud replaced being that it’s stripped pretty bad I had same issue with my 2012 which the brakes were stuck anyway but I hope this helps shouldn’t cost much neither maybe little over 100 for factory rotor and stud

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Don’t try to change the lugs. It’s a waste of time on the front. Just replace the unit bearing. It’ll be quicker and is $100. Make sure your wheels are torqued properly as that’s why this happened. You’re lucky you didn’t lose a wheel.

Studs are like $3-5. If you need a new bearing then that makes sense to do. It's not that difficult to do. I can't link you to a write up bc it's on a different site but if you google wheel stud replacement jk you can find it there are walk throughs.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Studs are like $3-5. If you need a new bearing then that makes sense to do. It's not that difficult to do. I can't link you to a write up bc it's on a different site but if you google wheel stud replacement jk you can find it there are walk throughs.

I’ve done it multiple times. It’s a pain in the ass on the front. The rear is easy.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I see OverlanderJK beat me to it. I’ve only done it on the rear, so I’m wrong. Probably a good idea to replace both unit bearings, while you are at it.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys. Headed to the zone. That's easier than I thought it was going to be. I just had my tires rotated at a local tire shop. They were short a tire guy that day. Hmm wonder who actually torqued these down. Anyway, I'll be sure to check my lug nuts now after each service. Lesson learned

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Thanks guys. Headed to the zone. That's easier than I thought it was going to be. I just had my tires rotated at a local tire shop. They were short a tire guy that day. Hmm wonder who actually torqued these down. Anyway, I'll be sure to check my lug nuts now after each service. Lesson learned

I would bring it back to them. Make them pay for that shit. That’s messed up. Go to the BBB if they refuse.

jeeeep

Hooked
front hub wheel studs are a PIA to remove cause you have to find the small area where the stud can get past the retainer plate so you can remove it.

IMO any wheel stud is a PIA to deal with and more time consuming than it should be.

I bought one of these - Lisle 22800, makes pulling a wheel stud much easier

31wIjjiQU6L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

keep it in the tool bag with a couple of extra studs and lug nuts. I've never had to use it on the trail but did come in handy after getting tires balanced at some small town shop.

No need for a torque wrench, just use the impact a few extra times :doh:

That odd clunk noise you hear while driving on the freeway and you're pretty sure it was something falling off the Jeep...yep, lug nut and stud.

silverbullet88

front hub wheel studs are a PIA to remove cause you have to find the small area where the stud can get past the retainer plate so you can remove it.

IMO any wheel stud is a PIA to deal with and more time consuming than it should be.

I bought one of these - Lisle 22800, makes pulling a wheel stud much easier

View attachment 278274

keep it in the tool bag with a couple of extra studs and lug nuts. I've never had to use it on the trail but did come in handy after getting tires balanced at some small town shop.

No need for a torque wrench, just use the impact a few extra times :doh:

That odd clunk noise you hear while driving on the freeway and you're pretty sure it was something falling off the Jeep...yep, lug nut and stud.

Best tool!

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Stud changed! Had to run to 3 different shops. Opted to just change the stud for now and replace the unit later. I just used washers between the lug nut to fasten the stud, worked like a charm. Thanks for the help guys.

zcamera-20171001_155255.jpg
zcamera-20171001_155333.jpg

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I'm definitely no torque master but I literally had to jump multiple times to break the lug nuts and I'm 215lbs. That seems crazy. No telling what they torqued it to.

zimm

Caught the Bug
That's why I hate when someone has to work on my shit. I try to do everything myself.

Top Bottom