Help changing brake pads

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
So I'm at the point at replacing the pads. Old ones are off, putting in the new ones but I'm unable to close the master capiler. Is it possible the rotor is the wrong size? How would I tell? Or is there something I may have missed? I'm using hawk 650 series zcamera-20171001_163031.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
The piston comes out as the pads wear. So new pads are too thick for the piston to fit over. Use a big pair of channel locks and you can compress the piston. When you're all done with the install, pump your brake pedal a few times to move the piston back out against the new pads.

Some random video I found on YT:

Last edited:

zimm

Caught the Bug
Big c-clamp is the way to go. I bought a triple pack from harbor freight. If you go with another route like pliers, huge screw driver, or pry bar, put an old brake pad against the piston to protect the face of it.

WJCO

Meme King
Truthfully, the right way to do it is to open the bleeder screw, then while compressing the piston, the fluid comes out of the bleeder and you aren't pushing dirty fluid back through the master cylinder and abs unit. But over the years I've done it many times without opening the system and have been just fine.

Top Bottom