Transmission keeps getting stuck in gear

rogerk93

After I swapped my axles to one tons with 5:38 and 40’s everything was normal. But for the past month I noticed my transmission has been getting stuck in gear while driving. It usually happens when I fully open the throttle, or when I give it gas on a turn it won’t shift into another gear. I would have to pull over put the Jeep in park shut it off and restart to get it back to normal driving. My abs light is on from a bad abs wire. That’s the only thing that has changed since the install.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jorgelrod

Hooked
Do you have the abs and traction control lights on? If you have more than one abs speed sensor misbehaving the tranny might do that. Before I switched to the selectable locker I tried running a Detroit and to avoid having the jeep go into limp mode I disconnected one of the rear sensors, one of the front ones lost a tab and when the road got bumpy it would loosen and reconnect, while it was loose, the system would get stuck in a gear and not shift, if I let the car cool where the plug would make a connection it would work again until int got loose. It was a bitch to figure it out

J

JKDream

After I swapped my axles to one tons with 5:38 and 40’s everything was normal. But for the past month I noticed my transmission has been getting stuck in gear while driving. It usually happens when I fully open the throttle, or when I give it gas on a turn it won’t shift into another gear. I would have to pull over put the Jeep in park shut it off and restart to get it back to normal driving. My abs light is on from a bad abs wire. That’s the only thing that has changed since the install.

Did you program the ECU for the 5:38's?

Benito

Caught the Bug
That kind of sounds like what mine has always done with after market gears/tires. I think the tranny on the 3.6 has shitty shift points. When I have it in drive and go full throttle it will rev all the way to 6k before it will shift, I usually will bump it to the next gear before then, or let off the gas to let it change. I think the heavier axles and bigger tires, especially the 40s, cause too much drag on the drivetrain so the TCM tries to compensate for it by reving really high and shifting like a retard, I drive my jeep mostly in manual mode when on the highway, and only use Drive in the city. Kilroy, another member on the forum, told me about OSTdyno.com, they will reprogram the TCM to not be retarded. But maybe you have other issues.

jeeeep

Hooked
Yea I used my super chips When I installed the axles.

I also have a Superchips and had a similar issue when I went from 35 to 37 and PR44. It was fine for a little while then the issue started.

Almost had the transmission rebuilt but got lucky I took it to an honest shop - they tested the transmission and told me it was fine.

This is what fixed it for me:

Put the stock tune back on then without driving the Jeep, shift and paused in each gear , put it in park and shut it off.

Reset the ECU (Quadratec instructions):

1. Disconnect the battery by removing the positive battery cable. Remember, the positive battery cable.

2. Ground the positive cable to the negative cable for 30 seconds to erase the electric charge in the capacitors.

3. Reconnect the positive cable to the battery.

4. Turn the key to on but do not start.

5. Turn the headlights on.

6. Turn the headlights off.

7. Turn the key off.

The ECU has now been reset to its factory settings.

At this point I started the Jeep let it idle for a minute then reprogramed gears and tires.
Also try programming the Tow program. I use the tow program on longer trips when fully loaded. IMO makes the shift points better

For the next 50 warm-up periods the ECU will re-learn the engine and driving habits for your driving conditions and the newly installed parts.

rogerk93

That kind of sounds like what mine has always done with after market gears/tires. I think the tranny on the 3.6 has shitty shift points. When I have it in drive and go full throttle it will rev all the way to 6k before it will shift, I usually will bump it to the next gear before then, or let off the gas to let it change. I think the heavier axles and bigger tires, especially the 40s, cause too much drag on the drivetrain so the TCM tries to compensate for it by reving really high and shifting like a retard, I drive my jeep mostly in manual mode when on the highway, and only use Drive in the city. Kilroy, another member on the forum, told me about OSTdyno.com, they will reprogram the TCM to not be retarded. But maybe you have other issues.

This sounds exactly like what I have been dealing with. When I get that high rpm I will also let go of the gas let the gears change then press down again. I do think it is just the gears, axles, and tires all playing a role and it is something I have to deal with. But I haven’t heard of anyone else going through this problem so I was uncertain. Especially with the way I drive my Jeep I thought it was taking a toll on my transmission. I do have a large transmission cooler installed on my Jeep and I do keep track of the temp and I never over heat. Even after a days of wheeling it stays in a comfortable temp range.

SDG

Caught the Bug
I'm confused...

You pin the throttle, and then wonder why it redlines before shifting?

It's because the little engine doesn't have the juice to pull through the gears like it did when stock, or if it were a v8.

Hate to tell you, but this sounds completely normal given the increased tire size, axles etc.

It's not stuck in gear. I had a jeep that got stuck in gear... Got stuck in 3rd, autostick did nothing, would have to put it in park and restart the engine to reset it. I had to have the trans rebuilt as it apparently had bad clutches between 2 and 3 and 3 and 4 from what I recall.

Just my 2c.

Im lost too. In your original post you said it returns to normal after you stop and restart the car. So is it an intermittent problem or does it always do it. Are you stuck in a gear or is your foot buried in the gas pedal

rogerk93

I'm confused...

You pin the throttle, and then wonder why it redlines before shifting?

It's because the little engine doesn't have the juice to pull through the gears like it did when stock, or if it were a v8.

Hate to tell you, but this sounds completely normal given the increased tire size, axles etc.

It's not stuck in gear. I had a jeep that got stuck in gear... Got stuck in 3rd, autostick did nothing, would have to put it in park and restart the engine to reset it. I had to have the trans rebuilt as it apparently had bad clutches between 2 and 3 and 3 and 4 from what I recall.

Just my 2c.

You must of miss read what I wrote. I am not asking what it is redlining but the second part of what you wrote is what I am dealing with. Once it gets stuck in gear there is no way of getting it out, I tried to autostick, I tried to put it in Neutral and back in drive and still nothing. I would have to put it in park shut the engine off and restart. I just hit 50k miles on my Jeep so I hope it is not the problem you had.

jeeeep

Hooked
the transmission locks out to protect itself from the rpm jump.

as I mentioned earlier...you have a Superchips Tuner, try the tow tune - it firms up the shift points.

There's also an advanced transmission option but the tow tune works pretty well.

rogerk93

the transmission locks out to protect itself from the rpm jump.

as I mentioned earlier...you have a Superchips Tuner, try the tow tune - it firms up the shift points.

There's also an advanced transmission option but the tow tune works pretty well.

I will give the low tune a try before messing with the shift points, see if that helps. Thank you

Top Bottom