Cutting OEM fenders

sinawalli

I read the WAL write up on fender cutting. I'm wondering if running them without the fender liners is a good idea? All the water, mud, snow and ice in the engine compartment. I want to hear from the guys that didn't use their liners. How's it working out? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Done it on 2 jeeps. It's fine. Won't hurt anything. On our JK (which is my wifes) she still hasn't learned what a PITA it is dealing with mud so she drives through every mud hole. No inner liners on hers, and no issues.

TRLJNKY

I dont run liners on mine and havnt had any issues. Personally, I try to avoid mud if possible because I hate cleaning that crap off. Does fine in the rain and snow. I just pressure wash the crap out of everything when i wash it to include between the body and front fender. Mud will collect in there by the A pillar ( door hinges). Plus side is everything is hella easy to get to in the engine compartment 😊

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Doc_chacon03

I dont have fenders, dont have a problem.. Just sucks cleaning all the mud up after a good weekend.
IMG_0329.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

zimm

Caught the Bug
I trimmed the OEM liners, drilled a couple holes and used zip ties to hold them from flapping. I also left the front fender supports in place, cutting them with an angle grinder. I used a single pop rivet from the top to hold the fender tight against the support, no flapping on the highway.

View attachment 278346

sinawalli

Interesting! Some of us use them, some don't! Not worried about the rear ones, just the front.
Do you guys use that edge trim stuff, or just leave the bare cut fender? Thanks for all the replies!!

WJCO

Meme King
Interesting! Some of us use them, some don't! Not worried about the rear ones, just the front.
Do you guys use that edge trim stuff, or just leave the bare cut fender? Thanks for all the replies!!

We used the edge trim on ours, but I've seen some members here do a damn good job without it. Really clean lines on some Jeeps here. This thread has tons of pictures of different ways to do it: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/3547-Cut-Fender-Thread

zimm

Caught the Bug
I'm using the edging, but it comes off a lot in some places. Especially if it's cooking in the sun and the kids hop out of the back, they usually knock it off the corner.

Ddays

Hooked
I ended up not using any of the edging on mine. After trimming them I used an orbital sander (a DA would work too) and sanded the edges nice and straight. Never had any issues with mud/water/rain/snow. My fenders do not flap at speed either.

I generally try to avoid this shit but sometimes you are forced to deal with it. Ran through a good sized stream after this and helped to wash a good bit of the junk off of it. :icon_crazy: Water was up to the doors splashing everywhere (on purpose). You won't have any issues if you decide to skip the liners

mud 1.jpg

mud 2.jpg

sinawalli

Thanks for the replies!! I found a really good Youtube video on cutting them and saving the front liners! I will see how it goes when I actually get around to doing it.

Top Bottom