Loud screech at startup...

Doc_chacon03

Ok so i have a 13 Jku. Yesterday i drove around town running errands and shit. So i went outside to move parking spots and when i cranked it up it screeched, like if the started got stuck. I immediately shut it off, tried once more, it did the exact same thing. On the third time it didnt even try turning on. After a process of elimination, i crossed out, pullies, belt, starter.. Since then, ill turn it on, itll screech for about a second or two then stops and runs normal. Any ideas please?

jeeeep

Hooked
Ok so i have a 13 Jku. Yesterday i drove around town running errands and shit. So i went outside to move parking spots and when i cranked it up it screeched, like if the started got stuck. I immediately shut it off, tried once more, it did the exact same thing. On the third time it didnt even try turning on. After a process of elimination, i crossed out, pullies, belt, starter.. Since then, ill turn it on, itll screech for about a second or two then stops and runs normal. Any ideas please?

water pump or alternator would do that.

your temp gauge still reading the same?

the tension pulley will screech - replaced mine a couple of months ago.

WJCO

Meme King
I would start by removing the belt and checking all pullies. Check for rumbling noise while spinning them by hand. And also check them for binding and for excessive play.

Doc_chacon03

So i thought it was the belt, i bought a new Gator belt. While replacing it, i turned it on and checked the pullies. No sound from there. I traced the noise from under the engine. Thats why i thought it was the starter too..

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jackal01

Describing noises is tough and trying to get the sound mine makes is difficult because it doesn't always do it. Mine could be characterized as a screech I guess. It lasts 1 second each time it occurs. It also always runs normal. It has been doing it since I bought the 2011 JKU in July 3014. My only guess is the starter since it sounds like it comes from "underneath".

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
I had the same issue with my Ram here about a month or two ago and couldn't figure it out for the life of me as I had replaced the belt and all the pulleys and checked everything.

Finally on my way to a Wheeling trip I realized my fan clutch was going out!! I would say this could possibly be it if you have a mechanical fan instead of an electric fan. Mine was completely engaged the entire way down for the trip and after Wheeling all day I cut it off with a Sawzall and headed back home with a secondary electric fan I had already had in place with a manual switch just in case it got hot.

If you have a mechanical fan it might be worth replacing the fan clutch

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom