knuckle castle nut size?

desertrunner

I have searched around quite a bit and i keep finding different write ups with different numbers. Does anyone know the actual size socket to use on the castle nuts holding the knuckle on?

consistently finding 22mm for the upper
finding anything from 7/8, 15/16, 1 1/8, 27mm, 28mm for the lower :doh:

of course i dont have any of those sockets and im sure there are a few that are close enough to work but if i am going to buy some new sockets i want it to be the right one.

So does anyone know the best fitting size sockets for those darn things???

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
You need a 7/8 inch socket and a 15/16 inch socket for the ball joint castle nuts that are used to attach the knuckle. At least that is what I needed for my Dynatrac Prosteers.

'07 JKUR

desertrunner

You need a 7/8 inch socket and a 15/16 inch socket for the ball joint castle nuts that are used to attach the knuckle. At least that is what I needed for my Dynatrac Prosteers.

'07 JKUR

the 7/8" makes sense since thats the standard equiv for 22mm

its just the lower that i cant find a consistent result. the 15/16" seems smaller than other results i have found for people using 27mm and 1 1/8.

i read that 15/16 on dynatracs install instructions but i thought i remember dynatrac supplying new castle nuts with their pro steers when i installed a set n my old jeep. i dont know if they are a different size than the stock ones.

desertrunner

just went out to sanity check myself and my 22mm socket fits the upper but my 27mm does not fit the lower...

so 15/16 cant be right for the lower and if the 27mm doesnt fit then maybe it is actually a 1 1/8" or 28mm or 29mm???? :thinking:

Last edited:

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
the 7/8" makes sense since thats the standard equiv for 22mm

its just the lower that i cant find a consistent result. the 15/16" seems smaller than other results i have found for people using 27mm and 1 1/8.

i read that 15/16 on dynatracs install instructions but i thought i remember dynatrac supplying new castle nuts with their pro steers when i installed a set n my old jeep. i dont know if they are a different size than the stock ones.

I installed the Prosteers about 2 months ago...and I can’t remember the size of the OEM castle nuts when I removed them. They were shot. I threaded the old castle nuts on them and chucked them in the waste metal bin at the shop I used to do the install.

I’m not sure if it will help, but here is a picture of the Prosteers installed to help you determine the sizes better.
IMG_5830.JPG

'07 JKUR

WJCO

Meme King
Both OEM and prosteers (D44) use a 7/8" upper nut.

IMG_20171002_211838_653.jpg

IMG_20171002_211916_594.jpg

The OEM lower is 1 1/8" .

IMG_20171002_211858_421.jpg

The prosteer lower is 15/16" .

IMG_20171002_211931_504.jpg

For uppers, it will be easier to get a wrench in there rather than a socket. It has a cotter pin, so you don't have to worry about it loosening.

desertrunner

Perfect thanks WJCO! Maybe I'll just take a set of vise grips to my lowers and use my 24mm when my PR44 arrives and not have to buy any sockets.

I agree the upper is easier with a wrench but I will try the socket on the install just to try and get the torque right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Perfect thanks WJCO! Maybe I'll just take a set of vise grips to my lowers and use my 24mm when my PR44 arrives and not have to buy any sockets.

I agree the upper is easier with a wrench but I will try the socket on the install just to try and get the torque right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

No problem. I got a set of these 'service wrenches' from harbor freight. I know they're Chinese but they've been handy. Come in a set of 15 ranging from 3/4" to 1 5/8". They're only 5 inches long, but you can easily put a bar on them for leverage.

IMG_20171002_214047_101.jpg

Top Bottom