Windshield Replacement Help (Is this weatherstriping or urethane?)

nfarrar

Hello All,

I've got a 2016 JKU. Paid to have the windshield replaced 3 times last year. Got sick of it and ordered one from Optic Armor. Didn't come with installation instructions - I assume they assume you're going to pay someone to install for it you; but I wanted to do it myself.

So, I cut the busted windshield out myself - I assumed that it was just sitting on the urethane windshield adhesive - and maybe it is, but it kind of looks like weather stripping to me. Based on this video - it looks like it should be just urethane and I should remove it - but wanted to verify first.

I've got an album of photos with several pictures of the seal on google drive: https://goo.gl/mtDvwT.

So; I either need to use a scraper to remove all that seal, or it's a weatherstrip I wasn't aware of that I've damaged (but I didn't see that part on quadratec, so I think it's just the urethane). Can anyone clue me in? Thanks!

jeeeep

Hooked
Hello All,

I've got a 2016 JKU. Paid to have the windshield replaced 3 times last year. Got sick of it and ordered one from Optic Armor. Didn't come with installation instructions - I assume they assume you're going to pay someone to install for it you; but I wanted to do it myself.

So, I cut the busted windshield out myself - I assumed that it was just sitting on the urethane windshield adhesive - and maybe it is, but it kind of looks like weather stripping to me. Based on this video - it looks like it should be just urethane and I should remove it - but wanted to verify first.

I've got an album of photos with several pictures of the seal on google drive: https://goo.gl/mtDvwT.

So; I either need to use a scraper to remove all that seal, or it's a weatherstrip I wasn't aware of that I've damaged (but I didn't see that part on quadratec, so I think it's just the urethane). Can anyone clue me in? Thanks!

in the video he refers to the urethane...remove and reapply

BTW I've had3 windshields removed and they've all done the same thing as the video.

remove windshield

remove urethane

apply urethane

install windshield

Last edited:
So I've never heard of this company before. Not sure how they'd hold up to windshield. Wipers and daily driving. Sounded cool until I read they're not DOT. Let us know how it holds up IMG_0834.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
it's polycarbonate, I'm wondering how it will hold up as well.

Every polycarbonate windshield I've seen doesn't shatter but it marks up easier than glass...

In the Jeep description it indicates windshield wiper friendly, but in the FAQ:
Q: Can I use windshields wipers on the Optic Armor windows?
A: Due to the inherit nature of the Optic Armor coating, water will bead up and run off the window just like rain-x. Wipers can be used on the Optic Armor window but we recommend making sure there is plenty of water on the window before they are turned on to prevent any gouging that may occur due to any excess dirt or dust that may be present.

WJCO

Meme King
Your post confuses me. But regardless, looks like urethane to me. Here's the fix: Add glass coverage to your insurance policy. It's cheap. It's usually a zero dollar deductible per claim and rates don't go up. Easy as a Staples button.

nfarrar

So I've never heard of this company before. Not sure how they'd hold up to windshield. Wipers and daily driving. Sounded cool until I read they're not DOT. Let us know how it holds up.
I'm curious myself. Hoping it holds up well.

it's polycarbonate, I'm wondering how it will hold up as well.

Every polycarbonate windshield I've seen doesn't shatter but it marks up easier than glass...

In the Jeep description it indicates windshield wiper friendly, but in the FAQ:
Q: Can I use windshields wipers on the Optic Armor windows?
A: Due to the inherit nature of the Optic Armor coating, water will bead up and run off the window just like rain-x. Wipers can be used on the Optic Armor window but we recommend making sure there is plenty of water on the window before they are turned on to prevent any gouging that may occur due to any excess dirt or dust that may be present.

Yup, it's polycarbonate; not DOT approved (doesn't matter to me). From what I've read, they started out making these for racing cars (lightweight, shatterproof, resistent to scratches), but then started making them specifically for 2012+ JK/U's when they realized how many windshield's jeep owners go through (I think primarily due to the angle of windshield). It's much lighter than the glass windshield, and marketed as much stronger than traditional laminated glass and more resistant to chips and scratches; I saw some supporting evidence of this in some posts by people using them for racing applications, but I haven't seen much by people using their Jeep windshield yet. Hoping it works out well.

The short list of items from their site state:

• Highly Scratch & Chemical Resistant
  • Excellent Water Shedding Capabilities
  • The Best In Optical Clarity
  • Shatterproof
  • 50%-75% Lighter than glass

And specific to the jeep application:

Optic Armor is a shatterproof, scratch resistant plastic material that is 50% lighter than glass. Optic Armor stands up to glass-shattering stone impacts and tree limb smacks on trail rides. Optic Armor windshields and windows are optically crystal clear (better than ordinary factory glass) and can be cleaned with standard glass cleaners or Windex. Optic Armor's specialized coating resists pitting and is windshield wiper friendly. These direct fit installations do not require special tools or procedures and install just like normal glass. Optic Armor is recommended for the serious off-road enthusiast!

My windshield gets dinged non-stop here in Colorado from interstate driving; hoping it'll hold up better than glass, but again - I have no idea yet if it will.

Umm welcome to Wayalife?
I've been lurking here for about two years, reading articles, discussions and guides. I've almost always found answers to the questions I was looking for without having to ask, so ... first post. Thank you. :)

Your post confuses me. But regardless, looks like urethane to me. Here's the fix: Add glass coverage to your insurance policy. It's cheap. It's usually a zero dollar deductible per claim and rates don't go up. Easy as a Staples button.
That would certainly be the easiest solution; absolutely. Unfortunately, my insurance company (USAA) doesn't provide that as an option and I'm opposed to switching insurance companies for other reasons.

jeeeep

Hooked
keep us up to date on how it works, really interested if it's worth the cost.

Would make it difficult for a rescue in the event the windshield needed to be removed.

Shantz

I had satellite replace mine a few months ago... around 200 bucks all in.

On The Trail Comment... sent via Morse Code

nfarrar

Looking for someone to confirm that on a 2016 JK, there is no "windshield gasket"; the windshield just sits on top of a urethane bead in the windshield frame and that the only relevant weatherstripping sits below the windshield.

Got some conflicting information that I think is incorrect. Was told there should be a "gasket" that goes around the windshield. When I took off the old windshield, I'm 99.9% positive there was nothing like that; just the seal behind the windshield.

Did some googling and found that the old wrangler's (TJ's) did have this TJ Windshield Gasket, but I don't see anything like this for the JK. There is a weatherstrip that goes between the windshield & cowl (Windshield to Cowl Weatherstrip), which I do have (it's still in place).

Breer

Caught the Bug
Looking for someone to confirm that on a 2016 JK, there is no "windshield gasket"; the windshield just sits on top of a urethane bead in the windshield frame and that the only relevant weatherstripping sits below the windshield.

Got some conflicting information that I think is incorrect. Was told there should be a "gasket" that goes around the windshield. When I took off the old windshield, I'm 99.9% positive there was nothing like that; just the seal behind the windshield.

Did some googling and found that the old wrangler's (TJ's) did have this TJ Windshield Gasket, but I don't see anything like this for the JK. There is a weatherstrip that goes between the windshield & cowl (Windshield to Cowl Weatherstrip), which I do have (it's still in place).
Literally just had my windshield replaced and watched the whole thing. Even spoke with the tech about this very thing. There is not a gasket and yes the windshield just sits atop a urethane bead as you stated. After my windshield was laid on top of the bead and pressed on a little, it was taped to the top of the windshield frame to prevent it from moving down while the urethane set.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Looks like your questions already been answered but also the “gasket” on a tj is just to cover up the ugly pinch seam inside doesn’t seal anything. The outside gasket just fills the ugly void between glass and metal, doesn’t really seal either.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

nfarrar

Literally just had my windshield replaced and watched the whole thing. Even spoke with the tech about this very thing. There is not a gasket and yes the windshield just sits atop a urethane bead as you stated. After my windshield was laid on top of the bead and pressed on a little, it was taped to the top of the windshield frame to prevent it from moving down while the urethane set.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thank you!

Top Bottom