Replace a lug on my spidertrax spacer

jorgelrod

Hooked
Was rotating the tires yesterday and one of the lugs in my spacers broke at the tip. I need to replace it. Are these the same lugs on the jk or is there a special part number? All I find at the website is the 8 grade replacement for the regular lugs IMG_6447.jpg IMG_6448.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

The 1/2x20 is the same obviously but you better either press the bad one out to check the length or call them. Being aluminum I thing I would buy a new spacer, if they only come in sets you can have a spare one just in case

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jorgelrod

Hooked
Things here in Puerto Rico are a hassle with shipping due to the hurricane, I want to see if I can do a quick fix even if I end up changing the spacer in a month or so when things normalize some more

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
How much broke off? If it's less than 1/4" , I would try cleaning it up with a die. If not I would definitely get a new spacer unless sypdertrax advises to replace the stud.

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
If spidertrax sells a replacement set of studs, especially for as cheap as that is I would do that. Even though they are aluminum you should be more than able to replace that one stud as long as you're careful when you're pressing the old one out and the new one in. Use Loctite if you have to.

You should not have to scrap the entire space just due to the stud breaking off.... Unless it is clearly loose and wiggling. In the meantime if you want an easy fix just go to wherever you get auto parts and take the stud with you and match it up. There's no reason it won't hold. It's going to be the same 1/2 x 20.

I know some people are going to argue with me on whether or not you should replace the entire spacer, and not that it makes me special or an expert, but I've been a machinist for about 15 years. Aluminum is not a One-Shot deal. If done right you should be more than able to reuse it.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I agree with Rumblebee3 and would first try replacing the stud. As mentioned, I would use some permanent Loctite, press the stud in and check for radial play. Also, mark the lug and keep a close eye on the wheel torque. Any play or loosening, replace the unit.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Press out the stud and take it with you to your local Napa Auto Parts or the like. They will have replacement studs and you can match what you have with it. Your thread should be 1/2x20 but the splines might be different and that's what you'll want to make sure is the same. More than likely, it will be but better to be safe than sorry.

Top Bottom