Front axle wont seat

GCW

All, I attempted to search this subject but clearly do not know how to use it properly.

I was in process of installing some dynatrac ball joints and big brake kit on my 2013 rubicon today and all went well until I went to reinstall the passenger side factory axle shaft. I didn't have any difficulty removing it and I have confirmed the two guide rings came out during removal. I have also looked down the axle tube to ensure a 3rd guide ring wasn't in there.

My problem is the axle goes in and I can feel it engage the carrier and I am able to turn the carrier but the shaft stops short of fully inserting. seems to be approx 1.0" from being seated.

Any have any ideas? Next step is to pull the diff cover and take a look if no one has any suggestions. pic 2.jpg

Thanks

Attachments

• pic_1.jpg
    pic_1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 74

WJCO

Meme King
Pull the shaft and feel all the splines for burrs. Also, no chance the ujoint part of the axle isn't hitting anything on the new ball joints? Nothing hanging up there?

GCW

Pull the shaft and feel all the splines for burrs. Also, no chance the ujoint part of the axle isn't hitting anything on the new ball joints? Nothing hanging up there?

Thanks for the suggestion, I am sure the unjoint part of the axle isn't making contact. I've gotten pulled away for the day, will give the splines a good inspection in the AM.

Appreciate the input.

jeeeep

Hooked
sometimes rotating the axle shaft a little back and forth while pushing on it will help line up the gears so it will seat all the way.

GCW

Tap with plastic mallet or lightly with a small sledge on 2x4

Will try it out if nothing else works, I've really tried to avoid beating on it based on everything I've heard about damaging the seal.

Thank you

fiend

Caught the Bug
Will try it out if nothing else works, I've really tried to avoid beating on it based on everything I've heard about damaging the seal.

Thank you

If it's only got an inch to go, the end is already through the seal.

GCW

Good point, I'm also able to turn the carrier so this makes sense that I'm past the seal . I'm thinking I have a burr somewhere I need to get cleaned up.

Appreciate it.

GCW

Good point, I'm also able to turn the carrier so this makes sense that I'm past the seal . I'm thinking I have a burr somewhere I need to get cleaned up.

Appreciate it.

Tap with plastic mallet or lightly with a small sledge on 2x4

sometimes rotating the axle shaft a little back and forth while pushing on it will help line up the gears so it will seat all the way.

I was able to get the shaft back in, after closer inspection I found a very small burr on one of the axle splines. A quick file down and a tap of a dead blow hammer and the shaft seated properly.

Thank you all, really appreciate you help.

Top Bottom